Author Topic: The Accidental Feminist Experiment  (Read 5781 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: The Accidental Feminist Experiment
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 06:52:03 AM »
Want to see the experiment in real life just look at MP training in the Army.  Probably the closest thing right now that I can think of as a "combat" arms job that is open to both men and women.  Same standards across the board other than the PT thing and I had several females in my training company and then I knew on active duty I would much rather have my back than several of the men along with several infantry types.  Nothing meaner than a woman on her cycle and her motherly instincts kicking in.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »
Want to see the experiment in real life just look at MP training in the Army.

Again, huge selection bias.  If they were drafting, and doing it by some suitably random means, I suspect you'd see a lot of women (and more than a few men these days) who just couldn't hack it.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »
Again, huge selection bias.  If they were drafting, and doing it by some suitably random means, I suspect you'd see a lot of women (and more than a few men these days) who just couldn't hack it.

This was 1990.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 01:31:44 PM »
I guess the good Rev missed the "Accidential" part.   ;)

It wasn't set up as an experiment, it was a "reality" show.

All of these people were volunteers.  They had to ask to be part of this show, and rough idea of what it was prior to signing up.  (This wasn't the first in the series).   So yes, there was some selection bias to get what the producers thought was the "right" mix.  And probably just about the right mix of various personalities for the "accidental" part of the experiment.

Repeatable?  Probably.  If you take the average (there are many exceptions) female from any western culture you would probably get the same results.   Women work by consensus.   I heard it when I was on chemo and my ex- worked from home.  The group she worked with was primarily female.  She would be on conference calls (on speakerphone) FOR DAYS discussing the same topic/issue over, and over, and over, and over again.   I could hear the frustration of the two lone males in the group, but until everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, was on board or they managed to work out a compromise they all could agree on, nothing happened.  

I remember one time they were trying to figure out how to handle a problem and after 8 hours of discussion they finally agreed on a course of action.  They then asked if everyone agreed.  

"Bob, we haven't heard from you today on this."
"Yeah, that's because I went and solved it by doing X, Y, and Z about 4 hours ago.  So it's done."

They lit into him for how dare he solve it when not everyone agreed with what he did.  

"To bad, it's done.  Can we move on now."

I almost peed myself I was laughing so hard.

My ex- was pissed.  Both at him and me.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 02:44:47 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 02:20:26 PM »
This was 1990.

Those were still women that enlisted, not even remotely a representative sample of women in general.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 02:52:20 PM »
They lit into him for how dare he solve it when not everyone agreed with what he did. 

"To bad, it's done.  Can we move on now."

:rofl:
"It's good, though..."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 08:06:37 AM »
That's been typical of my experience working with groups of females. And may explain how/why several very successful female managers stranger for predominately male staff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I