Author Topic: Amazon facility coming to Lubbock  (Read 1942 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Amazon facility coming to Lubbock
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2021, 09:05:15 AM »
Plus I bet it’s a good way to work up into logistics, which can be a pretty lucrative field these days.
A young relative got a job in a medical warehouse a year or two ago.  I was thinking the same thing.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2021, 09:23:49 AM »
17.50 for entry level job here with Cargill Kitchens on the patty line running a machine. You can buy a move in ready 3/2 house in a neighborhood where you won't get your *expletive deleted*it ripped off for $80k

If you want to compare bargain-basement, okay. I can get you something in that range, too. But, just like the current listings I see in Mason City, there won't be many of them, they'll be older, likely very maintenance intensive and energy inefficient or in need of significant updates, and be in areas that are okay but most definitely borderline or in outlying areas/communities with modest commute. I also see that getting into something more common, more updated, more centrally located, and in an area more likely to be stable long-term puts you square in the $140-$170k range, just like here.

I notice the Cargill job has a couple of preferred qualifications which kick it solidly out of "entry level" territory, making it unsuitable as a comparison to Amazon's entry-level box kicker position. Companies don't put those kind of qualifications in unless they intend to use them, usually as a way to promote from within or pick up experienced personnel from the outside.

https://careers.cargill.com/job/mason-city/processing-team-member-baked-patty-line-2nd-shift-full-time-mason-city-ia/23251/18344074

Preferred Qualifications.

• Previous food service and/or production experience
• Previous leadership experience.

• Consistent work history in the last 12 months
• Critical thinking skills
• Dependable and punctual

A more accurately comparable position would be the Production Worker position. Unfortunately they don't give a wage range for it, but I'd bet a good hamburger it will start, at best, somewhere around twelve or thirteen bucks an hour.

https://careers.cargill.com/job/cedar-rapids/production-worker/23251/18138198

Brad
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 09:42:59 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2021, 10:43:56 AM »
If you want to compare bargain-basement, okay. I can get you something in that range, too. But, just like the current listings I see in Mason City, there won't be many of them, they'll be older, likely very maintenance intensive and energy inefficient or in need of significant updates, and be in areas that are okay but most definitely borderline or in outlying areas/communities with modest commute. I also see that getting into something more common, more updated, more centrally located, and in an area more likely to be stable long-term puts you square in the $140-$170k range, just like here.

I notice the Cargill job has a couple of preferred qualifications which kick it solidly out of "entry level" territory, making it unsuitable as a comparison to Amazon's entry-level box kicker position. Companies don't put those kind of qualifications in unless they intend to use them, usually as a way to promote from within or pick up experienced personnel from the outside.

https://careers.cargill.com/job/mason-city/processing-team-member-baked-patty-line-2nd-shift-full-time-mason-city-ia/23251/18344074

A more accurately comparable position would be the Production Worker position. Unfortunately they don't give a wage range for it, but I'd bet a good hamburger it will start, at best, somewhere around twelve or thirteen bucks an hour.

https://careers.cargill.com/job/cedar-rapids/production-worker/23251/18138198

Brad

They are hurting bad for employees, it's entry level. Those are preferred qualifications fyi, not required. I play trivia with one of the supervisors, he laments how they can't find anyone.

I just had coffee with one of the management team from another local factory, a door manufacturer. I asked him what is the starting wage was for someone fresh out of high school with min skills, he told me 17.00/hr and over 20 in a 2 years with a decent work record. They can't find anyone.

Those 80k houses are for sale by private owner, a lot folks have buying older homes for cheap, gutting them and making them move in ready, everything is new in them. Hope was to make them rentals but people learn they don't want to be landlords. These older homes were either past rentals or owned by the same people for 40-60 years. They cheap like 20k to buy but you gotta throw 40k into them. People don't want to move here because it's Iowa, we got cold snowy winters, no avocado toast,  and there is "nothing to do".

I moved here 5 years ago because it's cheap living, I get paid a lot more than I did in a college town and I actually (pre covid) have a lot more things to do. Tons of water to boat on. Tons of class 1 and 2 rapids in the local rivers to canoe/kayak. Live music galore. I can be in downtown Minneapolis and walking into Target Field in 2 hrs or downtown Des Moines in an hour 45.

Most  of the new construction is the typical fast built vinyl encased crap shack popping up everywhere since the 1990s.

Also we need to stop accepting $15/hr as an acceptable full time hourly wage, we are just accepting that wage stagnation is just fine.

My computer crapped the bed so I'm writing this on my phone.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 01:15:29 PM »
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/what-minimum-wage-increases-did-to-mcdonalds-restaurants-and-their-employees-11611862080

McDonalds and minimum wage increases.

OK, that's the survey resulting from localized wage hikes.

My question is... are the results going to be the same when this is mandated across the nation?

Somehow I suspect that smaller, more marginal markets aren't going to be able to absorb the impact quite as well as the larger, far more affluent markets where this has been primarily rolled out have.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 02:26:42 PM »

Somehow I suspect that smaller, more marginal markets aren't going to be able to absorb the impact quite as well as the larger, far more affluent markets where this has been primarily rolled out have.

They can't, and won't. If it passes, these areas will see a huge spike in one of three things... A) businesses going under, B) under-the-table employment, or C) dramatically higher consumer prices for small-shop and service-related items. The net result will be devastation of small businesses, corresponding loss of employment opportunities, and noticeably higher prices for goods, especially in already struggling rural markets.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2021, 02:28:53 PM »
You forgot thing number 4 that will inevitably follow...

Higher unemployment among those who are supposedly being helped by this.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2021, 02:39:09 PM »
I've always wondered why they didn't key the min wage to some type of economic index that used cost summaries for necessities and habitation. Review and update annually.

Brad
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2021, 02:45:22 PM »
Remember, the Fight for 15 is about using useful idiots to benefit the unions, not low wage jobs.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2021, 04:01:36 PM »
Long Beach, California, mandated that certain "big pocket" grocery stores pay their workers an extra $4 an hour hero pay. I guess it's more hazardous to work for a large store....

Kroger (which operates Ralph's) has been paying its people an extra $2 an hour hazard pay since last March.

Kroger warned LB that it couldn't sustain those costs at some of its stores.

LB didn't listen; Kroger just announced that it's closing two marginally performing stores because it says that the costs are unsustainable.

Unions are going bat *expletive deleted*it crazy, claiming its union intimidation; not sure about Long Beach's response.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-02-01/kroger-closes-two-long-beach-grocery-stores-hazard-pay-ordinance

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2021, 06:53:14 PM »
^^^The Seattle City Council is proposing the exact same thing for grocery workers at stores within the city limits: a $ 4/hour hazard pay bonus.  Kroger now owns Fred Meyer and QFC, two chains prominent in Washington state.  So place your bets on what will happen next.

ETA: I stand corrected. This was passed last week and will be signed into law this coming Wednesday. https://www.seattletimes.com/business/local-business/trader-joes-responds-to-seattle-pay-hike-mandate-by-raising-pay-temporarily-nationwide/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2021, 09:46:59 PM »
My employer did a "hazard pay" for us essential expendable works early on but discontinued it mid Summer. The immense building (15 stories counting basement and sub basement, covering a full city block in downtown Tulsa) I work in is still mostly vacant. During my 9 hours in the building today making several trips to the restroom and the break room on the far end of the building, I saw 1 other person, one of the cleaning crew ladies.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2021, 04:22:43 AM »
Fed.gov most assuredly did NOT give me hazard pay for working through the pandemic.

I wonder if the City of Seattle or Long Beach has upped their city worker's pay by $4 an hour?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2021, 07:02:17 AM »
My employer did a "hazard pay" for us essential expendable works early on but discontinued it mid Summer. The immense building (15 stories counting basement and sub basement, covering a full city block in downtown Tulsa) I work in is still mostly vacant. During my 9 hours in the building today making several trips to the restroom and the break room on the far end of the building, I saw 1 other person, one of the cleaning crew ladies.

I had no idea that Death Star had done that for any of us. As far as I know they've not done it for the people on my contract.

I currently work in the Virginia HQ, a substantial building that normally has a workforce of about 2,500 to 3,000 from what I've been told. These days? Until I go into the SCIF I see maybe a half dozen other people.

When I go into the SCIF, however, it's a much different story. They've worked it so that we're sitting at least 6 feet apart from each other, but most of the time that's just barely the case. It's pretty crowded.

We're also supposed to be wearing masks in the facility at all times -- I refuse. If I'm wearing a mask I can't see my computer because my glasses are constantly steamed.

You can have me masked, or you can have me working. In this case, you can't have both.