Author Topic: Optics Ready Pistol Recommendations?  (Read 526 times)

HankB

• friend
Optics Ready Pistol Recommendations?
« on: March 06, 2022, 01:30:35 PM »
As I've gotten older, I've found it's gotten a little harder to pick up the sights as quick as I used to. Lasers help, but they also point back to where YOU are - which may not be the best situation in a night time burglary.

So I've decided to get something that's "optics ready." Not long ago I won a Gen 4 Glock 35 in a raffle, but it's not optics ready and I'm not too keen on sending it out to have the slide machined. (Ditto that last for my 1911s.) And honestly, I'm not a big fan of the Glock trigger. I do OK with it, but it always feels "spongy" to me.

SO . . . does anyone have first-hand experience with a RELIABLE pistol that is available in optics ready configuration, and has a "better than Glock" trigger? Calibers I'd consider are 9mmP, 10mm, and .45 ACP. I see some offerings from Springfield Armory and S&W that are supposed to have better triggers, but I'd like to tap this forum's knowledge base to see what works. (Insensitivity to weak wrist syndrome is a big plus - you never know if you'll be injured in a fight.) Threaded barrel and "suppressor height" sights would be a plus, but again, RELIABILITY and a good trigger are essential!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
Re: Optics Ready Pistol Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 02:15:29 PM »
I have a sig M17 that is pretty solid. It's not milled to my favorite optic, but the DeltaPoint Pro is ok. The 320 legion is pretty solid as well.

If you already have a Glock, a new slide and trigger are probably cheaper than a whole new gun.

The optics ready M&P's are solid.

The XDM OSP is reliable as well.

Kinda take your pick. Of those I think the Sig's  have the better triggers. The Legion triggers are pretty nice.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 02:52:57 PM »
1.  Arex Delta 2 pistols - The M model is the compact.  There is an optics ready version.  I like them a lot.  Might be subjective.  It is my goto 9mm carry.

2.  I have been carrying a S&W M&P 45 lately.  I think some M&P models come optics ready.  The 2.0 trigger is pretty decent.  I am waiting for a 10mm to come available. 

3.  CZ P10C if that works for you.

4.  HK VP9 models come optics ready and those mostly definitely have a better trigger. 

5.  Sig P320 and P365.  Multiple different configurations.

6.  S&W Shield Plus has an optics ready options.  Mine probably would be my goto 9mm carry if I didn't like the Arex Delta so much.

I guess I'll stop there.  Lots and Lots of models coming out these days with optics ready options. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 03:03:02 PM »
Not sure what you have tried, but changing the sights to a brightly colored front sight with tritium vial is mandatory for me right now.  I am indifferent on what the rear sights look like, but that bright front sight attracts my vision and helps me keep my sight picture focused. 
https://www.nightfision.com/select-your-sight-style-for-smith-and-wesson

I keep intending to upgrade to a red dot pistol sight, but haven't done that yet.  Holosun has the vulcan reticle I want to try, but just haven't yet. 
https://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-hs507c-v2-acss-pistol-red-dot-sight-acss-reticle
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 03:22:02 PM »
^^^I have that ACSS 507 on a G-17 and it's my least favorite ACSS reticle. I don't dislike it, but I don't find the circle to be as helpful as I thought it would be.  The chevron allows slightly more precise placement than a dot, but is a little slower than just a dot.

I wouldn't steer anyone away from it, but it's not as good as Dimitri's other ACSS entrants.

IMO the RMR is still the king for toughness, despite the smaller window.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 04:18:26 PM »
^^^I have that ACSS 507 on a G-17 and it's my least favorite ACSS reticle. I don't dislike it, but I don't find the circle to be as helpful as I thought it would be.  The chevron allows slightly more precise placement than a dot, but is a little slower than just a dot.

I wouldn't steer anyone away from it, but it's not as good as Dimitri's other ACSS entrants.

IMO the RMR is still the king for toughness, despite the smaller window.
I guess I didn't pay attention to what I linked.  I didn't realize that model had the chevron.  The one with the dot is what I was thinking of.   

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 04:22:12 PM »
Pretty much all manufacturers offer RDS ready pistols.

Which one do you like best?

I'm partial to M&Ps for full size guns and Sig 365s for compact guns.  Both have decent factory triggers and tons of aftermarket options.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 04:25:46 PM »
One of my M&Ps is setup for a silencer.  I think S&W offers silencer ready pistols.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 08:01:27 PM »
As I've gotten older, I've found it's gotten a little harder to pick up the sights as quick as I used to. Lasers help, but they also point back to where YOU are - which may not be the best situation in a night time burglary.

So I've decided to get something that's "optics ready." Not long ago I won a Gen 4 Glock 35 in a raffle, but it's not optics ready

My first thought was "new slide".  But, quick search isn't showing one for a longslide .40.

and I'm not too keen on sending it out to have the slide machined. (Ditto that last for my 1911s.) And honestly, I'm not a big fan of the Glock trigger. I do OK with it, but it always feels "spongy" to me. SO . . . does anyone have first-hand experience with a RELIABLE pistol that is available in optics ready configuration, and has a "better than Glock" trigger?

Both of my XDS-s (first gen, pre-Mod.2) have much nicer triggers than any Glock I've ever handled, and are available in optics-ready and optics-included versions.  The site even lists the 4" version again.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 08:05:18 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.