Author Topic: Baa Baa Black Sheep  (Read 3728 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Baa Baa Black Sheep
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 12:41:20 PM »
"Now,  most tv shows run a shocking 42-44 minutes,  again depending on network and time."

Which is why I DVR almost everything and watch it after the fact, so I can blitz through the bullshit.
Ditto.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 01:00:18 PM »
Ditto.

Yup. Without a DVR, I would just blow off most of network TV. I know some people just do stuff during the breaks, but I can't do that either. Not only is it too disjointed, but I remember pre-DVRs, I used to cuss like a sailor if I went to the kitchen during a commercial and got back ten seconds too late and missed some cliffhanger thing. I could mostly live with a 60-90 second break though "in the olden days". Four minutes of commercials every ten minutes is just too damn much.

I couldn't handle shows like The Walking Dead at all. After the first act, the commercials get ridiculous. Without hyperbole, I think the commercial break/act periods are nearly the same amount of time. It feels like I'm hitting FF every five minutes after the first fifteen.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 01:39:33 PM »
Anymore it's much like a comic I saw once... I THINK the caption was something like "When Commercials Have Gotten Out of Hand" or something like that.

Three panels, guy on a sofa watching TV. Only movement is the "sound" coming from the TV.

First panel, TV sound bubble is saying: "And now back to our feature presentation!"

Second panel: "The"

Third panel: "We'll be right back after a word from our sponsors!"

There have been times where it's felt like that, too.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 02:06:05 PM »
I had friends that worked the combat air museum at Forbes Field. I met Boyington around 1985 seemed like a pretty neat guy. Not sure what happened to the signed copy of his book.

I was fortunate enough to chat Boyington at a couple of different airshows I attended with Sentimental Journey back in the '80s.  He was a genuinely nice guy.
He had a ghost writer help him complete his book after he stalled out in writing it.  I forget how many years the manuscript languished until the ghost writer joined the project.  You can definitely tell where Boyington left off and the ghost writer picked it up.
I have an autographed copy in my library.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 02:13:47 PM »
I used to enjoy BAA BAA BLACKSHEEP.    My father was a ex Navy officer,  he once met Col. Boyington while in the submarine service at Groton Connecticut.  He claimed Boyington was a "drunken bum."

He was that, in spades.  He covers it pretty thoroughly in his book, readily admitting to having a serious drinking problem that cost him dearly over the years.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 02:56:48 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 03:45:22 PM »
He was that, in spades.  He covers it pretty thoroughly in his book, readily admitting to having a serious drinking problem that cost him dearly over the years.

"You show me a hero, and I'll show you a bum." ~Pappy Boyington
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 02:48:36 AM »
"You show me a hero, and I'll show you a bum." ~Pappy Boyington

Close, it's "It's my estimation that every man ever got a' statue made of him was one kind of sommbitch or another."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 08:16:50 AM »
Close, it's "It's my estimation that every man ever got a' statue made of him was one kind of sommbitch or another."

Wow. I'll have to track down that discrepancy. I like yours better
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 03:13:28 PM »
Wow. I'll have to track down that discrepancy. I like yours better

https://youtu.be/ica2n8y7wKE?t=3151

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2018, 09:50:48 AM »
Wow. I'd never heard any of that before!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.