Author Topic: Dog people need your thoughts  (Read 1817 times)

bratch

• friend
Dog people need your thoughts
« on: May 02, 2005, 08:21:48 PM »
I am leaving for Denver on May 21 for the summer I will be there until mid August.

Right now I am debating on what to do with my dog.  I am wanting to take her but am concerned how she will adapt to the new environment.  She is a 18 month old Borderr Collie. I got her on Sept 1, 2004 and it has been more or just the 2 of us since then.  Right now she has a decent size back yard to run in and is allowed to come in and out as she pleases.

In Denver I will most likely be in an apartment.  She will have to stay inside while I'm at work 8-5.

I am not sure what would be best for her. I can leave her with my parents where she will have more room to play but won't be with me or I can take her and she'll have to stay in most of the time. Right now she spends alot of time inside but does enjoy getting out and running.  Last time I left her was for the weekend left on Firday and by Sunday my parents said she was acting pretty depressed.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 02:25:52 AM »
Leave her with your parents.  BCs are bred to run around quite a bit and being cooped up is far more cruel than her being depressed for a week or so after you leave.  You'll have plenty of time with her when you return and she'll be better off physically.

Greg

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 02:42:05 AM »
I concur with tarpley; she'll be happier with the company of people all day. You can always write and call...

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Smoke

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 03:56:00 AM »
Also a Border Collie when confined for long periods must  find ways to exspend that pent up energy.  Being smart dogs they can usually find a way to get rid of it, but it won't be in a way you'll like.

Smoke

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 04:50:37 AM »
There are few things more destructive than a bored Border Collie.

Leave her with your parents.

The only reason I have two dogs is because Ruger was bored when I was at work, not doing well, and being very destructive.

One day I came home and it looked like a flock of ducks had molted in my bedroom. So much for that feather pillow. It took probably a year to get all the feathers cleaned up.

Another time I came home to discover that she had turned the sheets on my bed into strips. Perfect width for cleaning patches, but not so great for sleeping.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 10:40:37 AM »
Parents house.

I have a BC mix.  Mine mopes when I'm not around, but they will get over it.  Pent up Borders= REAL BAD MESS.

BTW, Where do you live?
One day at a time.

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 11:53:57 AM »
I agree, parents house.

Best for everybody.

She'll adapt to your folks easily.  They're very smart dogs.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

theCZ

• friend
    • http://www.hunewill.com
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 12:32:10 PM »
do not keep that dog in an apartment!  A pent up BC is a sure way for them to develop weird, neurotic habits.  Even BCs with all kinds of room to run will develop weird habits that sometimes become quite humorous.  My border collie is absolutely mellow inside and around people, but has limitless energy around cattle or sheep.  Last summer I took him with me up in the mountains to push some cattle to higher ground on my horse.  The trail was 14 miles total, and I know he ran at least twice that going back for cows or getting strays back on the trail.  Next day he woke me up early wanting to go back for more!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 07:16:05 PM »
Leave the dog with your parents, where she'll be free to run.

Dogs have short memories. We like to think that they miss us, that they'll remember us after even a week apart, but the fact is they only think about food.

When you come back, your dog will treat you like a stranger.

Don't be offended. She's just a dog, doing what dogs do.

But she's been accustomed to running free. That a dog doesn't forget.

theCZ

• friend
    • http://www.hunewill.com
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 08:31:49 AM »
Since your dog is a border collie, there's a really good chance they'll remember you quite well.  I don't see my dogs for over 6 months at a time and when I come home they are quite excited to see me, the cat takes awhile to remember me though.