Author Topic: Lakeway, TX: Respect My Author-I-Tay!!  (Read 674 times)

HankB

• friend
Lakeway, TX: Respect My Author-I-Tay!!
« on: December 26, 2010, 04:44:02 PM »
In Lakeway, TX (a suburb of Austin) a guy was arrested and held for wearing a T-shirt reading "Speed Trap Ahead."

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/in-lakeway-a-crusade-against-speed-traps-1146294.html

He was charged with violating the Lakeway sign ordinance and "engaging in construction operations that produced noise disturbances" . . . a charge which even baffled the prosecutor.

In court, the arresting officer testified "he was simply following orders" from a senior officer, who'd told him a local judge had issued a standing order to have the guy arrested.

The presiding judge "jumped 3 inches out of his chair" when he heard that, and ultimately found the man not guilty on all counts. (He basically said that if Leslie, the City of Austin's unofficial bearded transvestite mascot can parade around in skimpy women's clothing and not get arrested, Lakeway can't arrest this guy for his T-shirt.)

Not quite the end of the story . . .

After being acquitted, the arrestee filed suit against the city. A "confidential settlement" was arrived at, and the currently-unemployed arrestee says he doesn't have to worry about working for 4 or 5 months.

A pity the settlement didn't come out of the arresting officer's paycheck . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Lakeway, TX: Respect My Author-I-Tay!!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 05:32:56 PM »
He basically said that if Leslie, the City of Austin's unofficial bearded transvestite mascot can parade around in skimpy women's clothing and not get arrested, Lakeway can't arrest this guy for his T-shirt.

Is that the guy that migrated from St. Louis a few years ago?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Lakeway, TX: Respect My Author-I-Tay!!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 05:39:11 PM »
Some towns welcomed it so much that Texas passed a law capping the revenue small municipalities may receive from speeding tickets at 30 percent of their total budgets.

says much
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I