Author Topic: Crossbows  (Read 2532 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Crossbows
« on: October 30, 2014, 01:09:19 PM »
So my wife and I have just started watching The Walking Dead on Netflix, and I am now wondering if I should get a spiffy crossbow like Darryl has.  By sheer coincidence, the paper this morning had a Cabela's ad insert, and I see that they are selling some sort of crossbow/laser sight package for $ 1100 (!). I never knew it would be so expensive to silently hunt the biters.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Crossbows
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 01:14:09 PM »
There are less expensive, but still good ones. 

I fired one for the first time a couple weeks ago.  I prefer a nice recurve myself.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 01:52:12 PM »
I hunt with a crossbow. I have a bad left shoulder (with crossbow disability permit for a few states) so shooting a compound or recurve can be quite painful.

I have a Barnett Quad 400, they run about $400, kind of the middle of the road. Think Remington 870 of the shotgun world.

I'm glad I can still "bow" hunt for deer, but I'd rather shoot a bow. Bows are quieter and faster on the redraw.

Crossbow also doesn't equate to more power and longer distances. You are still limited to the range of a bow.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 02:29:28 PM »
I hunt with a crossbow. I have a bad left shoulder (with crossbow disability permit for a few states) so shooting a compound or recurve can be quite painful.

I have a Barnett Quad 400, they run about $400, kind of the middle of the road. Think Remington 870 of the shotgun world.

I'm glad I can still "bow" hunt for deer, but I'd rather shoot a bow. Bows are quieter and faster on the redraw.

Crossbow also doesn't equate to more power and longer distances. You are still limited to the range of a bow.

Good to know.  Texas has opened bow season up to crossbows.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 02:48:15 PM »
Good to know.  Texas has opened bow season up to crossbows.

Here's A Barnette Quad 400 package on Amazon for cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/Barnett-Quad-Crossbow-Package-Quiver/dp/B004IIKA1O

Chris

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 02:55:51 PM »
By sheer coincidence, the paper this morning had a Cabela's ad insert, and I see that they are selling some sort of crossbow/laser sight package for $ 1100 (!). I never knew it would be so expensive to silently hunt the biters.

Much cheaper, faster, and just as quiet.

FWIW, most of the sources I've seen seem to indicate that the typical sling bullet ranged anywhere from golf ball to baseball sized, including cast lead ones.  Imagine getting thumped with a solid lead fastball.  Balearic sling competition involves putting the shot through a 20" hole at 100 feet, so you can definitely get combat accuracy at handgun range.

Only real drawback is the difficulty of finding a safe place to practice; you either need a full 360 degree area open at least 100 yards in all directions and 2-300 yards in front, or a solid backstop behind and to both sides, with a large open area in front.  Once you get the technique down, and find your personal best method and your sling's sweet spots, you'll be hitting man sized targets at 15-20 yards consistently, and just working up your fine control until you can get head shots on rabbits and squirrels.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 02:59:14 PM »
Oklahoma allows crossbows during bow season.  Been wanting to get one myself because I can't hold a bow steady for any length of time.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 03:20:25 PM »
Here's A Barnette Quad 400 package on Amazon for cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/Barnett-Quad-Crossbow-Package-Quiver/dp/B004IIKA1O

Chris

The red dot they come with sucks. I have the one with the scope, it is ok, holds zero but isn't very clear. Okay for normal deer ranges.

I'm going to update the scope after I take care of a couple other hunting tool upgrades.

Uranus is a gas giant.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 04:54:48 PM »
The red dot they come with sucks. I have the one with the scope, it is ok, holds zero but isn't very clear. Okay for normal deer ranges.

I'm going to update the scope after I take care of a couple other hunting tool upgrades.

Butbutbut its says, "Premium Red Dot Sight." 

This this enough crossbow to take deer and hogs? 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 05:46:52 PM »
I want a crossbow. But they require a license here. =(
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 06:20:45 PM »
I want a crossbow. But they require a license here. =(

Is there anything there that doesn't require a license?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 07:45:29 PM »

I didn't even pay attention to the red dot.  They don't work well with my eyes, do I would likely toss it in favor of a decent scope.

Do Xbows come with open sights?

Chris

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 08:19:13 PM »
Is there anything there that doesn't require a license?
Besides sharp and blunt weapons: antique (pre-1890) muzzle loaders, airguns under a certain power level, paintball guns, airsoft, all bows except crossbows, some defensive sprays. =(
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 08:29:14 PM »
Besides sharp and blunt weapons: antique (pre-1890) muzzle loaders, airguns under a certain power level, paintball guns, airsoft, all bows except crossbows, some defensive sprays.

So, what if you get a pre-1890 crossbow and agree to only load it from the front?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 10:13:48 PM »
Butbutbut its says, "Premium Red Dot Sight." 

This this enough crossbow to take deer and hogs? 

Yes, if you are comfortable hunting deer and hogs with a compound bow, you can hunt with this crossbow.

Get good broad heads, also the bow comes with three bolts and for being factory made they are pretty awesome. I'm since picked another dozen for mine, they run about $8 a bolt.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 10:15:18 PM »
Do Xbows come with open sights?

Chris

Yes, I have seen some with pins and peep like on a compound bow.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 10:35:16 PM »
We use these on hogs
Easier to track em
And they don't weather vane
 http://shooting4fun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Epic-Hunting-Rage-2-Blade-Broadhead-Mechanical-tips.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 11:09:28 PM »
I am jonesing the Mathews Mission 320 for 600 bucks
Adjustable pull weight, press free string changing, 6.5 pounds

a cheaper choice is the Carbon Express cx3
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"