Author Topic: Does anyone use the Kindle app on an Android?  (Read 673 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Does anyone use the Kindle app on an Android?
« on: October 01, 2020, 02:17:02 AM »
Where are books stored? And is there a way to import free books from Project Gutenberg into the Kidle app's library?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
Re: Does anyone use the Kindle app on an Android?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 07:51:23 AM »
Books stored on my tablet.  I have to make sure I download them before I go to airplane mode though.  So you have your "library" on Amazon's server, and download what you want to the particular device (I have several devices using one Amazon account).  Has to be downloaded before reading.

There's an app that will send .mobi or .pdf directly to your kindle app you can download, as well as you can email ebooks to your kindle address and they will (eventually) show up in your kindle account for downloading to all connected devices.

Instructions for app: https://support.prolificworks.com/article/153-adding-ebook-files-to-kindle-and-kindle-app-from-your-computer

Article on emailing (and converting to .mobi if you need to): https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-put-free-ebooks-on-your-amazon-kindle  

I don't actually have a kindle, so even though it says you're emailing it to your kindle, in my experience it goes to my kindle *account*.

Actually I take that back, they must have changed it.  When I look at it now each device I have registered to my Kindle App has it's own @kindle.com address.    I went to amazon.com/hz/mycd/digital-console/alldevices and scrolled down to the apps I have installed.  Clicked on Kindle app, and it showed all 6 devices registered to my account.  Each device has an address.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 08:08:51 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 12:20:27 PM »
Same as the last time you asked the question. :P  =D

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=58297.msg1177236#msg1177236

And I am just as clueless about how it works now as I was two years ago.

Two years ago I was just mildly curious. Now I have discovered that Project Gutenberg has all (or most) of Edgar Rice Burroughs books, including the entire John Carter on Mars series, available for download. I would very much like to get those into my Kindle library but I have no idea how to go about it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 12:55:18 PM »
Found this on the Project Gutenberg site...

http://www.gutenberg.org/help/mobile.html

Looks like it's pretty easy, but I've not tried it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 01:39:06 PM »
I don't like the Kindle app on Android.  At least I didn't like it the last time I tried it which was years ago, it may have gotten better.  They make it extremely difficult to find the local files related to the books in the in-app library, or bookshelf or whatever they call it.  Those files might only be available on the cloud for that matter.

I've been using FBReader for a lot of years.  It has built-in access to online network libraries, including Project Gutenberg.  I don't really use them though.  I usually download an e-book to my phone then open it in FBReader from the file system.  It does .epub, mobi, pdf, probably many others.

There are other free e-reader apps out there as well.  I've tried a couple and always came back to FBReader.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 01:51:55 PM »
The Kindle App for Android (or iOS) is designed to allow you to access your kindle account and books you have purchased from Amazon on a non-kindle device.  There are workarounds for putting e-books that are not from Amazon into the  Kindle ecosystem so you can read them on your kindle (and kindle apps).

But if you are trying to read a non Amazon ebook on a non-Amazon device, the kindle app is not really the app for you.  It's like trying to listen to music you got from Limewire on your Zune via iTunes.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 06:52:27 PM »
Ditto what others have said.  Putting non-Kindle ebooks into the Kindle app is more headache than it's worth.  Everyone has a different favorite app but mine happens to be Aldiko.  Put the ebooks in a folder on your tablet, import them into Aldiko, and you are good to go.  It also has a nice smooth interface for reading the ebooks and browsing your library.  I can't recommend NOT using Kindle for non-Kindle ebooks enough.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 08:38:15 PM by Phantom Warrior »