Author Topic: Trump proposes $10 federal minimum wage  (Read 3717 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Trump proposes $10 federal minimum wage
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 07:39:34 PM »
You see his contretemps with the reporter ? The latest one? "Be quiet"

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/07/donald-trump-to-katy-tur-be-quiet-226286

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Katy Tur, former girlfriend of Kieth Oberman? Works for NBC? Whose brother is a "transgender" woman, also a reporter.

I suspect she is being treated with all the respect a Democrat operative with a byline deserves.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 08:21:47 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
Re: Re:
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 08:22:35 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 06:52:04 AM »
To even make sense, it would have to be indexed to local wages. $10 in San Francisco AND Albuquerque? Sense it does not make.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2016, 07:12:11 AM »
You see his contretemps with the reporter ? The latest one? "Be quiet"

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/07/donald-trump-to-katy-tur-be-quiet-226286

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Good for him.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2016, 11:25:52 AM »
To even make sense, it would have to be indexed to local wages. $10 in San Francisco AND Albuquerque? Sense it does not make.

Then let the current situation stay - If San Fran wants a higher than national minimum wage, let them set it.

Hell, Alaska is considering a $10 minimum, in consideration of local cost of living more than local wages.

I still think modifying our regulation system to help encourage enough business activity to reach "full employment" would work better - if employers are always a little hungry for employees, they'll have to pay and treat them better.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2016, 12:29:12 PM »
I still think modifying our regulation system to help encourage enough business activity to reach "full employment" would work better - if employers are always a little hungry for employees, they'll have to pay and treat them better.

I'd rather see them just a little hungry for good employees.  The problem is that most of them are hungry for employees, but instead of spending just a bit more on wages to get better people, they hire more idiots and snowflakes that get less work done.  I've worked plenty of places that could have done just fine on half the staffing if they'd been willing to pay ~25% more to attract the people who would make that work.

Granted, there are some tasks that need x number of warm bodies, like answering phones or things that have to be done continuously at 2-3 separate locations, (one person can't greet customers at two doors 100' apart, for example, or assist a customer at the bakery counter and another at the shoe department simultaneously) but many non-time-sensitive tasks can be completed quickly enough to stack more of them on one person's list...if that person is being compensated properly; when I did a couple summers as a janitor, I quickly figured out that even though I (and three of the others) could do 3-4 times as much as most of the people there, (and this was verified when we had to cover their exact duties due to sick days, etc.) there wasn't even a process for rewarding better performance, so it became a matter of working at a leisurely pace for ~4 hours, then hiding out and watching TV until about 30 minutes before shift change when it would be time to look busy for the incoming shift.  If they'd been willing to double the pay for the four of us, they could have eliminated 8 others and saved 33% in wages alone, plus whatever else went to benefits, insurance, etc. plus the damage that was happening because of imbecilic workers who didn't care if they trashed a carpet, burned up a vacuum cleaner, etc.  That would have had us running borderline ragged, but at a really good pay rate for essentially unskilled labor, and adding a fifth hard worker would have settled it into a tiring but manageable day's work while still being cheaper than what they had.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »
I'd rather see them just a little hungry for good employees.  The problem is that most of them are hungry for employees, but instead of spending just a bit more on wages to get better people, they hire more idiots and snowflakes that get less work done.  I've worked plenty of places that could have done just fine on half the staffing if they'd been willing to pay ~25% more to attract the people who would make that work.

I have tried and tried to convince my employer of this but they don't want to listen... :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

• friends
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2016, 03:01:03 PM »
I have tried and tried to convince my employer of this but they don't want to listen... :facepalm:

It works well . I paid good in the 70's and early 80's
I started kids at minimum wage. Gave em a nickel raise every 2 weeks so long as they showed up and did a good job. Till they hit about 7 bucks. Then it slowed down . I was typically some of these kids first job and I had to teach em . I had 16 and 17 year olds making 7 and in one case 8 bucks an hour. And my labor cost was still lowest outa a dozen places he owned .
82 before we got the waves of Latinos I had a heck of a time getting dishwashers. Had a guy who was older but good. His wife worked too. I told him I could hire him help, he made 7.50, or I could pay him 11 to do it by himself and evaluate for another raise in 90 days.
He asked me if I was serious and when I said yes he got busy. With it his wife in him made 70 g. Previously I budgeted 90 g for that dept.
Win win. He went out and bought a house. His wife and him never got past 6th grade in school.
Funny thing was getting income verification call when they bought house. Loan officer thought it was a scam guy doing dishes had that kinda income. But they earned it they both worked hard and long hours

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2016, 04:09:03 PM »

It works well . I paid good in the 70's and early 80's
I started kids at minimum wage. Gave em a nickel raise every 2 weeks so long as they showed up and did a good job. Till they hit about 7 bucks. Then it slowed down . I was typically some of these kids first job and I had to teach em . I had 16 and 17 year olds making 7 and in one case 8 bucks an hour. And my labor cost was still lowest outa a dozen places he owned .
82 before we got the waves of Latinos I had a heck of a time getting dishwashers. Had a guy who was older but good. His wife worked too. I told him I could hire him help, he made 7.50, or I could pay him 11 to do it by himself and evaluate for another raise in 90 days.
He asked me if I was serious and when I said yes he got busy. With it his wife in him made 70 g. Previously I budgeted 90 g for that dept.
Win win. He went out and bought a house. His wife and him never got past 6th grade in school.
Funny thing was getting income verification call when they bought house. Loan officer thought it was a scam guy doing dishes had that kinda income. But they earned it they both worked hard and long hours

I have to admit that truly positive motivation is rarely used effectively.  Rewards are usually meager or just for show.  Most bosses I have had tend to fall back on threats or more commonly set expectations at 110% and crap on you if you don't reach it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2016, 04:12:42 PM »
I'd rather see them just a little hungry for good employees.

No, they should be hungry for good employees, just a might peckish for average employees, and not at all hungry for lousy ones.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2016, 05:00:04 PM »
I started kids at minimum wage. Gave em a nickel raise every 2 weeks so long as they showed up and did a good job. Till they hit about 7 bucks. Then it slowed down.

Worked one place that actually did quarterly raises, but it was so hard not to get the maximum every time that it wasn't an incentive to do anything beyond the minimum to avoid getting fired.   That, and since they topped out (completely - no more ever unless there's a company-wide increase or a promotion) at 18 months, turnover stayed steady right at two years when people realized they couldn't improve anymore.

IMO, the best system in terms of benefit to everybody is the benefit-share that some places do; do something that significantly benefits the company beyond what is expected of you and you get a cut of the first year's increased profit or savings.  A few of the places I've worked had started with so much waste in their processes that even simple, obvious changes like ordering commonly-used bolts in 10k lots instead of 100ct boxes (one stainless screw that we use here goes from $1.19/ea in 50ct boxes to $0.49/ea in 1,000ct bags and we often use 200/day) were doubling and tripling people's pay.  When I worked for a guy that had a pretty good idea of what an average worker could do in a week, if you did 120%+ of that, he'd pay 50% of the overage as a bonus, plus a free meal.  Working your ass off for him was like being on time and a half (or more; the average worker is pretty lazy these days) all week long, plus you never had to buy your own lunch.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2016, 05:48:28 PM »
Mine has everyone on the same pay scale, with the only raises being for time, and caps after five years. It adjusts every October. The only deviation is a shift differential for night shift, maintenance, and management positions.

They then wonder why they have a hard time finding people to volunteer for tasks that require more training, more responsibility, etc. They really tend to wonder why folks jump ship too.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

• friends
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2016, 07:22:03 PM »
I have to admit that truly positive motivation is rarely used effectively.  Rewards are usually meager or just for show.  Most bosses I have had tend to fall back on threats or more commonly set expectations at 110% and crap on you if you don't reach it.

If they were late? Missed a day? F'd up? No raise. Kids were right competitive and I was getting a man sized job done by teenagers.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2016, 08:44:38 AM »
I have to admit that truly positive motivation is rarely used effectively.  Rewards are usually meager or just for show.  Most bosses I have had tend to fall back on threats or more commonly set expectations at 110% and crap on you if you don't reach it.

We have a performance incentive program. 18 people under my manager. There hasn't been a performance award on my crew in almost 3 years. Coincidentally, it was almost 3 years ago that they raised the bar from "attainable if you worked a little bit harder/smarter" to "*expletive deleted*ck that, can't really be done with out falsifying time sheets so why bother trying".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams