Author Topic: Lock her up? Nevermind.  (Read 6969 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: Lock her up? Nevermind.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 12:40:57 PM »
I wonder how many people really believed that he would lock her up. Not many I would hope, but I'm sure it felt nice to chant along and vent some frustration.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 12:50:08 PM »
He doesn't have the authority to lock her up.    Maybe he can use his "bully pulpit"  to have an investigation started.....then guess what?   The demorats circle their wagons -- as they did around her husband during impeachment --  and instead of pushing his agenda forward,  President Trump has to deal with demorats gone all honeybadger on him and his agenda, and defending their own....

No.....Trump decided on brewing the bitter dregs of practical politics. ......
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 01:30:45 PM »
He doesn't have the authority to lock her up.    Maybe he can use his "bully pulpit"  to have an investigation started.....then guess what?   The demorats circle their wagons -- as they did around her husband during impeachment --  and instead of pushing his agenda forward,  President Trump has to deal with demorats gone all honeybadger on him and his agenda, and defending their own....

I think you really meant that he had already decided he wouldn't push anything on his lifelong friend, Hillary.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 02:37:42 PM »
A few random thoughts.

1. The words he used do not 100% declare that nobody would investigate/prosecute her. Congress has some powers in this regard, so would a special prosecutor, or someone lower down in the DOJ that people consider to be just "the government" and not "the administration" could do it. There's tons of wiggle room there if we want her prosecuted and Trump wants to keep the White House at arms length.

2. There is the issue of even when they deserve it, that prosecuting a presidential challenger, or someone from the previous administration, has a third-worldy or coup-d'etat air about it. As egregious as her behavior was, I might be persuaded that the dog & pony show of prosecution and trial may be more damaging to the Republic as a whole than not seeing justice done in her case would be.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 02:43:38 PM »
Again, a pardon would be in order.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 02:46:54 PM »
I wrote this a while back:
What if the point of the trump campaign was to make sure that someone won who wouldn't prosecute the Clintons?

There's a chance that Trump is in cahoots with the Clintons and ran just to knock out the other Rs, most of whom would gladly send Hillary and others to jail.

Remember Trump is a left-of-center urban Democrat who wrapped himself in Republican populism to run and win. He's been lying from the outset. So if he has been lying and we don't know what is really driving him, why couldn't he be an op of theirs? His daughter is best friends with their daughter, the families have hung around with each other for years. He's an authoritarian/fascist, she's a fascist-authoritarian. They mesh perfectly.

/tinfoil

Hmmmm...maybe tinfoil is not needed.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »

Bitter dregs? Not sure if serious. I think you're correct about Trump & Company deciding it's best to move on from Clinton, and get things done.

I wonder how many people really believed that he would lock her up. Not many I would hope, but I'm sure it felt nice to chant along and vent some frustration.

Huh? Is that some kind of dig at people who wanted a criminal as disgusting as Hillary Clinton to finally face the justice she so clearly deserves, instead of getting the highest office in the land? ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 02:55:07 PM »
Huh? Is that some kind of dig at people who wanted a criminal as disgusting as Hillary Clinton to finally face the justice she so clearly deserves, instead of getting the highest office in the land? ???
Nope.
More of a dig at the people who got caught up in the fantasy that Trump was selling.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 03:20:41 PM »
A few random thoughts.

1. The words he used do not 100% declare that nobody would investigate/prosecute her. Congress has some powers in this regard, so would a special prosecutor, or someone lower down in the DOJ that people consider to be just "the government" and not "the administration" could do it. There's tons of wiggle room there if we want her prosecuted and Trump wants to keep the White House at arms length.

This, too. I'm not sure what the statute of limitations would be on Clinton's crimes, but perhaps there's a plan to push her case out to later on in this term, or the next?

I wrote this a while back:

There's a chance that Trump is in cahoots with the Clintons and ran just to knock out the other Rs, most of whom would gladly send Hillary and others to jail.

You're joking, right? I could see maybe Cruz bringing her to justice. He's about the only one, besides Trump, I could see actually following through with it.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 03:21:16 PM »
Nope.
More of a dig at the people who got caught up in the fantasy that Trump was selling.

Understood.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 03:30:13 PM »
I understand where people are coming from on the "don't prosecute and/or pardon" side. The "perfect world" part of me would like to see her up the river. The pragmatic part of me understands how that could undermine a lot of good change.

My big problem is still that there are the people who did far less. Trump says that she has suffered enough. That should apply to others prosecuted for less. Clinton knowingly broke the law. Many of those in jail or with hefty fines did not knowingly break the law. In at least one case, altruism and protecting life was the reason for the security breach (and I'm not even sure he knowingly transmitted classified data).

If Clinton has suffered enough, so have they. I would feel better about a Clinton pardon if the other cases were reopened and reevaluated.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 03:49:56 PM »
Here's the other side I see to this.

So she does get prosecuted. Over emails, the Clinton Foundation, or God knows what else is out there to nail them on.

It still sucks because Hillary winds up on some weak-ass Federal probation or house arrest, or some nominal country club short prison sentence. Great, we spend millions of dollars on a donkey-show, and tie up the thoughts and business and time of the entire country for months, or years... all for a slap on the wrist that wasn't nearly as painful to her as losing the Presidency was.

Worse, once she's prosecuted, she now has an effective "reset" on her criminal liability, because essentially it's all discharged by the conviction and whatever weak nominal punishment she gets. So now she's a martyr for the Left, and she has a clean slate in pragmatic terms with no leverage over her.

It might actually be better for her to hover in limbo forever, unpardoned and unprosecuted so she gets out, and stays out of politics and major exposure to the public eye forevermore.
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 04:00:32 PM »
AJ Dual opined:

It might actually be better for her to hover in limbo forever, unpardoned and unprosecuted so she gets out, and stays out of politics and major exposure to the public eye forevermore.

This is the way I started to think after my initial "oh, boy, oh, boy, gotcha now!" hand-rubbing moustache-twisting phase passed.

Better to keep it in reserve, and not to martyrfy her.

But it still rankles me that others lower on the totem pole got sat on.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 04:09:44 PM »
My very first impression of "political" Trump was that of a used car salesman. Saying what ever he thought it was you wanted to hear, regardless of how ridiculous it may sound (yeah! you can put a V8 in this Prius!)

So during the primaries I didn't quite have any interest in him. However... enter Hillary, and it quickly became AOBH (any one but Hillary), because Hillary meant #NuclearWarBenghaziTerroristFundingGunBanClintonDynastyRULES in my opinion. So I became a fan, and I began to listen, and hey... this isn't too unreasonable.

What Trump said about Hillary, and what he would do with her was righteous. I agree with prosecuting people who abuse their position of power. I would have really liked to see that happen. I strongly diagree with the notion that enforcing the Rule of Law on Power Players would damage the Republic, or make the US a banana exporter. Quite the opposite!

However remembering the used car salesman in him, I kind of doubted he would follow through on such a thing, even more so after seeing him in prior buddy-buddy social pictures with the Clintons. What is more, you have to remeber that in order to govern efectively, he would need the cooperation of the "Swamp" to some degree. Still, hearing this news of no-prosecution is a disappointment, albeit somewhat expected. He DID praise H Clinton's 30 years of public sevice after he won :facepalm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rStL7niR7gs

So, Trump could be that Molotov Cocktail burning everything down, but he would kill his position of power in the process. And Trump all about self aggrandizing, not self sacrifice.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 04:32:28 PM »
She will probably die of natural causes before Trump's first term is over anyway.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 05:00:19 PM »
She will probably die of natural causes before Trump's first term is over anyway.

What's the ICD-10-CM for being stabbed in the heart with a wooden stake made from the True Cross?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 06:32:57 PM »
It still sucks because Hillary winds up on some weak-ass Federal probation or house arrest, or some nominal country club short prison sentence. Great, we spend millions of dollars on a donkey-show, and tie up the thoughts and business and time of the entire country for months, or years... all for a slap on the wrist that wasn't nearly as painful to her as losing the Presidency was.

Or sit back and wait while Anonymous/WikiLeaks/whoever locates, collates and explains all sorts of new evidence, leaving a big flashing neon sign pointing at the origins so the actual taxpayer cost of finding it is a tiny fraction of what it would be to do all the legwork from scratch.  Then feign shock and "well, I guess we do need to do something about this now."

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2016, 06:49:36 PM »
I think you really meant that he had already decided he wouldn't push anything on his lifelong friend, Hillary.

Really?   From  what I've heard, they're hardly friends.   If anything, lifelong  ENEMIES.  

Bitter dregs? Not sure if serious. I think you're correct about Trump & Company deciding it's best to move on from Clinton, and get things done.
  I wasn't really being serious.....but I'm sure it will be bitter for those Trump supporters who were intent on seeing Hillary go to prison.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2016, 07:05:54 PM »
I'm of the opposite opinion about the potential damage to the country in regards to prosecution. It's not about Hilary and making it about Hilary is the problem.
When someone is suspected of breaking the law, they get tried and, if convicted, they get punished. Our legal system is the backbone of this damn country. Making her name and her status more important than that backbone is *NOT GOOD*.

I understand the politics of the situation. The fact that the politics outweighs the justice system is even more worrying to me.  =|

Yes, it will be an expensive dog and pony show which will cause a whole lot of bickering and dramatic BS that will shake up Capitol Hill and the rest of this country even more than the election, but looking at this long term... I think if they don't prosecute her, we are all going to really regret it in 10 or 20 years.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 07:09:47 PM »
I'm of the opposite opinion about the potential damage to the country in regards to prosecution. It's not about Hilary and making it about Hilary is the problem.
When someone is suspected of breaking the law, they get tried and, if convicted, they get punished. Our legal system is the backbone of this damn country. Making her name and her status more important than that backbone is *NOT GOOD*.

I understand the politics of the situation. The fact that the politics outweighs the justice system is even more worrying to me.  =|

Yes, it will be an expensive dog and pony show which will cause a whole lot of bickering and dramatic BS that will shake up Capitol Hill and the rest of this country even more than the election, but looking at this long term... I think if they don't prosecute her, we are all going to really regret it in 10 or 20 years.

As Rush Limbaugh pointed out,  if Hillary was jailed,  the demorats would go into honeybadger mode and every republican politician in high office would forever be ruthlessly hounded with investigations, impeachment attempts, and the like.
Regular politics would grind to a halt.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 07:37:01 PM »
the demorats would go into honeybadger mode and every republican politician in high office would forever be ruthlessly hounded with investigations, impeachment attempts, and the like.

If that was a viable option, they could (and I assume would) do so regardless of what happens to Hillary.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 07:38:32 PM »
As Rush Limbaugh pointed out,  if Hillary was jailed,  the demorats would go into honeybadger mode and every republican politician in high office would forever be ruthlessly hounded with investigations, impeachment attempts, and the like.

I am totally ok with that.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2016, 07:49:09 PM »
I am totally ok with that.

Yeah, I wouldn't argue with that either.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 07:58:59 PM »
Really?   From  what I've heard, they're hardly friends.   If anything, lifelong  ENEMIES. 

I know you posted in CAPS, which is your way of telling us you're serious and all, but what is your evidence? 

Chris