Author Topic: Is it possible for Tea Party to survive a Republican Landslide?...  (Read 10807 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
Re: Is it possible for Tea Party to survive a Republican Landslide?...
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 03:43:26 AM »
Third parties or movements can affect the platforms of the two major parties, even if the third parties don't themselves seem strong. When the shouting of those in the third parties gets loud enough, they get attention. In the case of the Tea Party movement, Republican candidates are tripping over each other to pander to them.

I’m for that.

A few well-entrenched GOP candidates have fallen to Tea Party candidates in primaries - that's where they're vulnerable. If the GOP patricians - who seem to think they & their cronies are entitled to office - try to marginalize Tea Party candidates after they win the nomination, or shove them to the side after they win office, they'll see the Tea Party targeting more GOP incumbents; Bob Bennett (UT) and Lisa Murkowski (AK) won't be the only ones who find themselves on the sidelines. (Watch to see what happens to Rep. Mike Castle (DE) today - this RINO cap-and-tax supporter may be dumped.)

If the GOP wins the house in November - as seems likely today - the Tea Party may be the only force to keep The Stupid Party honest, and keep them from governing like Democrat Lite.

Good stuff.

I think the biggest strength of the Tea Party as mentioned above is for them to support GOP or even Democrat candidates that support Tea Party values.  You don't need a majority to do that, you just need to throw a voter swing in favor of your "good" candidates.  If you can get a 5% or 10% vote swing, that is all you need to really impact party primaries and elections. 

The Tea Party has come a long way since the early liberalMedia attempts to homophobically label them as “tea baggers.”  Good for them.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 06:11:37 AM »
All evidence indicates that Castle would have won the general.  If Odonnell loses, that's one Senate seat we lost.
Looks like the GOP has decided "If it's not OUR guy, then let's just give it to the Democrats.!"

On Tuesday night, the National Republican Senatorial Committee issued a tepid statement of congratulations to O'Donnell, but a GOP official told Fox News the party has no plans of putting money into the race.

Wonder if Castle will decide to run as an independent, just to make sure Odonnell loses . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 08:47:46 AM »
The entrenched GOP elitists are reaping what they sowed.

Protecting and allowing the RINOS to drive the agenda (and the nation into the ditch) has fueled the Tea Party.

We need the moderates yes, we need the moderates to STFU and compromise our direction instead of turning the party into democrat lite.

It is time the GOP actually governed according to its principles.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:54:23 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 09:25:30 AM »
I would say is as:  We need the moderates and they should get input into the process, but they shouldn't drive the agenda at this point. 

Now we just need to see some of these new candidates win!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »
Looks like the GOP has decided "If it's not OUR guy, then let's just give it to the Democrats.!"
Uh, no.  The GOP has decided to give O'Donnell the nomination and take a chance on her winning the general in Nov.

The polling to date shows Castle was ahead by 20% in the general election ballot against the Democrat, Chris Coons.  O'Donnell polls behind Coons by 20% or 25%.  This isn't the GOP deciding anything, this is the current state of affairs in the Delaware electorate.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 10:27:29 AM »
The GOP establishment would rather save itself than America.  I don't think the people at large are going to go for that.  People have wised up; they realize that too many GOP heavies are all too willing to watch The Dismantling so long as they themselves are protected.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 11:28:09 AM »
Uh, no.  The GOP has decided to give O'Donnell the nomination and take a chance on her winning the general in Nov.

The polling to date shows Castle was ahead by 20% in the general election ballot against the Democrat, Chris Coons.  O'Donnell polls behind Coons by 20% or 25%.  This isn't the GOP deciding anything, this is the current state of affairs in the Delaware electorate.

The Republican voters in Delaware handed her the nomination.  The NRSC has announced it would not lift a finger to help her in the general election.

Toss in Rove's raving after the loss of Castle, his butt-buddy.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/report-national-republican-senatorial-committee-wont-fund-christine-odonnell/
http://spectator.org/blog/2010/09/14/rove-attack-nrsc-refusal-will

If O'Donnell wins, she won't owe the worthless hump Republican Establishment a thing.

The NRSC won't even link to her campaign web site or give her a Bio blurb:
http://www.nrsc.org/senate_races

As for O'Donnell's chances, Angle was in a similar situation after her nomination vis a vis Harry Reid.  I'd expect a bump in her numbers merely from name recognition.

The entrenched GOP elitists are reaping what they sowed.

This.

They could have boosted someone who is a better candidate than O'Donnell who isn't a 70YO RINO retread who voted for Obamacare & Cap & Trade and .  The NRSC did not lift a finger to find a better candidate and O'Donnell stepped into the vacuum.

Some years, some Democrats had more conservative voting records than Castle:
http://www.conservative.org/ratings/ratingsarchive/2009/2009%20Combined%20Ratings.html#DE
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 01:03:40 PM »
The Republican voters in Delaware handed her the nomination.  
The Republican voters are the Republican Party, yes, and they gave her the nomination.

The NRSC has announced it would not lift a finger to help her in the general election.
Where?  Show me their announcement.  Not scuttlebut, rumors, or reports.  Show me their actual announcement.

I can show you the NRSC announcement on O'Donnell, and it expresses full support for her.

There were a few news reports last night stating the NRSC didn't want to support O'Donnell, and lots of people got into a tizzy about it, but this morning the reports are shown to be false.  I'm not even sure it would be possible for the NRSC to meet, decide, and announce their decisions on such short notice, after hours, within minutes of the elction results.

The NRSC won't even link to her campaign web site or give her a Bio blurb:
http://www.nrsc.org/senate_races
Ah, yeah.  No.  The NRSC website does indeed link to her homepage (said page is currently down, probably due to the recent publicity).

O'Donnell doesn't have a bio blurb on their site, true.  And neither do any of the half dozen other Republican candidates I checked.

EDIT: Turns out that there are bios for all of the candidates, including O'Donnell.  You just have to click the 'Biography' tab to see 'em.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:34:34 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 06:22:32 PM »
I would say is as:  We need the moderates....

I agree...someone needs to empty the trash and clean the restrooms at the convention in '12....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 06:40:57 PM »
So help me here, HTG.

What exactly do you think is going on?

It seems reasonable to me to believe that each political party has its own establishment of long-term politicians, influential individuals, advisors, and other people close to them that has an influence on who gets nominated in primaries, what strategy shall the party adopt, etc. Every political party in the world - the GOP, the Democrats, the Greens, etc. Some parties are bigger, others are smaller. This we know from history.

We know also that at least some of the members of this GOP leadership are moderate conservatives - there is a difference of opinion, after all, between John Sydney McCain on one hand and DeMint [not to mention Ron Paul] on the other.

Is it not also true that a party primary is traditionally a contest between different groups and wings in a political party?

Then why is it so unbelievable in this case?

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 07:02:49 PM »

Then why is it so unbelievable in this case?

Why is what so hard to believe?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 07:41:10 PM »
Why is what so hard to believe?

...do you genuinely disbelieve that the Tea Party represents a movement within the GOP competing against a subset of moderate Republicans and the faction of the establishment Republicans that supports them?

I get it that you're disputing the claim that the NRSC opposed O'Donnell initially. I don't know anything about that issue, and it's quite possible you're wrong. But the claim being false does not per se make the world-view that empowered it false.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 09:18:46 PM »
Well, ok.

Who was the establishment candidate in Delaware?  O'Donnell had DeMint, Palin, Limbaugh, and some of the conservative activist groups on her side.  Castle had the local Party org, Rove, Krauthammer, and assorted others.  Both are basically professional Republicans, Castle spending his adult life as a governor and longtime congressman and O'Donnell spending hers as a "Washington insider" (lobbyist, political commentator, RNC employee) and 3 time contender for senate.  

The Tea Party latched on to O'Donnell as the outsider running against the semi-incumbent "establishment" type, but in reality both were insiders with establishment backing of one form or another.

What I take issue with is the notion that this primary was outsiders against the mainstream Republicans, that the mainstream Repubs lost, and that they're now going to try to sabotage O'Donnell in some sort of Pyrrhic bid to hold on to their power.  

Let's take these points one at a time.  First, Castle was not mainstream Republican by any stretch.  Second, the winning Limbaugh-et-al camp is far more established and mainstream than the losing Krauthammer-locals camp, so it isn't exactly a loss for "mainstream Republicans".  And third, nobody is trying to sabotage O'Donnell now that she's won (wait a few weeks for emotions to cool and you'll see many of the Castle supporters line up behind O'Donnell, just like any other hotly contested primary).

And the NRSC thing was just plain stupid.  Nobody should have seriously believed that the NRSC would withhold recognition from O'Donnell after she secured the nomination.  The national Republican orgs might be stingy with additional funding beyond the basics, but that's nothing personal with O'Donnell.  They tend to spend money and resources direct proportion to how much difference it can make.  There might not be much that anyone can do for someone like O'Donnell in a place like Delaware, but we'll know more about that in a coupla weeks after things settle down.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:46:57 AM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 10:53:40 PM »
The problem is too many Republicans who do not really believe in small government decentralized power. They get elected speaking the right words then vote the opposite direction with painful regularity.

I almost am sorry to see the quick rejection of the Dems. It might have been better to really let things get fubar'd even worse than what we've seen so far. Let John Q Public get it good and hard for awhile, so he doesn't forget he dropped trough and bent over willingly.

The Dems overreaching and alienating the public was never in doubt as far as I was concerned. The left always over reaches. I'm just surprised how fast they acted and how fast they are being rejected.

Hopefully the Republicans who get re-elected will legislate with fear of being next on the chopping block of they don't shrink government.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2010, 10:35:17 AM »
For years, conservatives have been told that the only way to create a big-tent party was to support big-government candidates who were "electable," rather than principled. History suggests otherwise. Majorities are built on principles, not the other way around.
Jim DeMint