Author Topic: Whatever happened to Jim and Sarah Brady?  (Read 1949 times)

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
Whatever happened to Jim and Sarah Brady?
« on: June 29, 2014, 08:40:10 PM »
I found this: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jim-bradys-wife-sarah-this-is-a-huge-moment-for-gun-control/

But,as we all know,that woman was everywhere for years.I haven't heard a peep in a coons age.It's like they pretty much disappeared a dozen years ago.

I wonder if the Bradys politically"belong"to the Clintons?Or,because it's been decades, they're no longer usable/relevant?

I suspect a bit of both.I'd believe that a (now)wrinkly old white couple have nothing in common with todays urban problems.

I'm surprised they weren't trotted out during elections or in the aftermath of a school shooting at least.

I remember thinking that she was very,very good at righteous indignation.Probably a good thing she didn't run for office.

jeff w

I like onions!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Whatever happened to Jim and Sarah Brady?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:00:22 PM »
I know she had lung cancer, a while ago.  Survived, by the looks of it.

Dunno, maybe they crossed Bloomberg or something.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 09:08:42 PM »
Getting up there in age I suspect.

Takes a lot to put yourself out there and go to battle in the political trenches.

There is also some baggage regarding the name Brady that will rile up the opposition to gun control.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 09:13:55 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:28:35 PM »
The lefty ghoul squad hired a new spokesperson. Her name is Gabby.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 10:12:32 AM »
Getting up there in age I suspect.

Takes a lot to put yourself out there and go to battle in the political trenches.

There is also some baggage regarding the name Brady that will rile up the opposition to gun control.

That... ^^^

The name Brady is now indelibly conflated with bans and confiscation, and the new tactic has been to double down on "common sense safety" and "third way" moderate shill groups.

So now "Brady" is tainted and has to be back-burnered. They only have limited usefulness for the rare times they might help fundraise from the hard corps anti-gun base.

The good news of course is that to date, the new strategy of the third-way moderate shill groups has fallen largely flat, except where they had an anti-gun majority politically in blue states, and Colorado is still in play.

I know the NY and other blue state folks are hurting, but with the existing bans that didn't expire in 2004, we've mostly written you off like California, sad to say. You're going to need some sort of grass-roots program that's so powerful that it overrides the domination of the cities.

Colorado is still in play, and hopefully Hickenlooper is next to pay the price for the bans there.

Fortunately for us, the whole "Zumbo Affair" was an even more important watershed moment for RKBA, because it truly defined the .mil and tactical-style wing of the gun culture as dominant over the "sporting"/Fudd side, and the anti's are just tone-deaf to the point that the moderate-shill strategy won't work well because of it.
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
That... ^^^

The name Brady is now indelibly conflated with bans and confiscation, and the new tactic has been to double down on "common sense safety" and "third way" moderate shill groups.

So now "Brady" is tainted and has to be back-burnered. They only have limited usefulness for the rare times they might help fundraise from the hard corps anti-gun base.

The good news of course is that to date, the new strategy of the third-way moderate shill groups has fallen largely flat, except where they had an anti-gun majority politically in blue states, and Colorado is still in play.

I know the NY and other blue state folks are hurting, but with the existing bans that didn't expire in 2004, we've mostly written you off like California, sad to say. You're going to need some sort of grass-roots program that's so powerful that it overrides the domination of the cities.

Colorado is still in play, and hopefully Hickenlooper is next to pay the price for the bans there.

Fortunately for us, the whole "Zumbo Affair" was an even more important watershed moment for RKBA, because it truly defined the .mil and tactical-style wing of the gun culture as dominant over the "sporting"/Fudd side, and the anti's are just tone-deaf to the point that the moderate-shill strategy won't work well because of it.

Not many antis could pass the ideological Turing test. Of course that's true on most things, and all sides.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 12:12:55 PM »
Sarah Brady used to make the rounds of the talk shows, and engage in "debates" with spokesmen from the NRA . . . usually some inarticulate bureaucrat from NRA HQ.

But then the NRA wised up, and started sending women to debate Sarah Brady . . . articulate women. And Sarah not only began losing debates, but was made to look like a wicked, clueless, harridan besides.

It got to the point where, when a debate was to be held on some TV show, Sarah's "people" tried to establish preconditions, as in "Tell the NRA they're not allowed to send <list of people> to argue their point of view."

This didn't work, and Sarah, no longer able to play the "poor suffering woman, disrespected by boorish, unsympathetic NRA men" gradually fell from the limelight.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 12:25:13 PM »
Not many antis could pass the ideological Turing test. Of course that's true on most things, and all sides.

Sadly, you're probably right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideological_Turing_Test

A concept I've only run into recently. 

the partisan is invited to answer questions or write an essay posing as his opposite number. If neutral judges cannot tell the difference between the partisan's answers and the answers of the opposite number, the candidate is judged to correctly understand the opposing side.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 06:15:41 PM »
I know she had lung cancer, a while ago.  Survived, by the looks of it.

Don't know what pics you're looking at, but I'd say it's debatable.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 06:19:51 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideological_Turing_Test

Well, hell.  For once I would say we have an unfair advantage on a test.

A:"Express the Democrat argument on anything."
B:"White people are greedy racists, and it's Bush's fault."
A:"How long have you written speeches for Obama?"

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 06:50:05 PM »
Don't know what pics you're looking at, but I'd say it's debatable.

I thought the same, but excised the bit of snark before I clicked POST.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 09:51:31 PM »
That... ^^^

Oh no, AJ. We're gonna hear about that one.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 10:39:27 PM »

I believe the court has ruled partially for and partially against the new New York gun laws, but that decision is being appealed. So New York is also still in play. Connecticut, IIRC, has three separate lawsuits challanging their new gun laws, and I don't think any of them have been decided as yet. So I think we can say that Connecticut is also still in play.

The New York decision was a puzzler. The judge acknowledged that the AR-15 as a type is popular and in common use, yet from there he went on to decide that it nonetheless wasn't protected by the 2A. That will be one of the bases for the appeal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 11:38:06 PM »
I believe the court has ruled partially for and partially against the new New York gun laws, but that decision is being appealed. So New York is also still in play. Connecticut, IIRC, has three separate lawsuits challanging their new gun laws, and I don't think any of them have been decided as yet. So I think we can say that Connecticut is also still in play.

The New York decision was a puzzler. The judge acknowledged that the AR-15 as a type is popular and in common use, yet from there he went on to decide that it nonetheless wasn't protected by the 2A. That will be one of the bases for the appeal.

Let's face it, even if they repeal those particular laws NY and CT are still gun rights shtholes. I wrote them off along with NJ and MA etc a long time ago.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 11:43:45 PM »
I had imagined the Brady's secret offshore bank accounts were full enough to retire, but that's the way I am.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 11:54:07 PM »

Yeah, the AR is too military-ish to be covered by that amendment about the militia.  :laugh:  ;/

I don't know. Should we start telling them what the militia clause really means about the type of weaponry that would be covered, or would that frighten the herd too much?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife