Author Topic: Best argument for Gun Control I've ever heard. No, really.  (Read 7103 times)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Best argument for Gun Control I've ever heard. No, really.
« on: November 23, 2007, 06:48:09 PM »
I was listening to Sirius Left tonight (I am a liberal, but don't hold it against me) and listening to the new show that replaced Stephanie Miller, called Make It Plain.
It's a show about African American issues. The guy strikes me as one of these really nutty "America is still keeping the Black Man down" i.e. a whiny nut.) This was the first I really listened. He was talking to a caller about gun control, and of course, I had to call and remind Mr. Thompson about the racist roots of gun control.

He replied with the most amazing bit of mental gymnastics I've ever heard.
He basically said that while gun control was based in racism, NOW the lack of gun control is racism, because African Americans are killing each other with guns; and easy access to guns is just a Republican plot to make things harder for them.

Yeah, I know. I was DUMBFOUNDED when he laid this one on me. The circuit breaker in my brain protecting me from Dumb tripped audibly.

I just can't believe some people, sometimes.  I was literally knocked speechless, and that doesn't happen often.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Best argument for Gun Control I've ever heard. No, really.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 06:53:03 PM »
So Republicans are the ones behind people illegally buying illegal guns illegally from illegal dealers in illegal transactions often financed by illegal substances.

Huh!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 07:05:01 PM »
To bad you didn't have time for a followup question. You could have asked him if he believed the theory that the CIA was involved in cocaine trafficking to help keep blacks down.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 07:28:30 PM »
It's not actually a bizarre statement, if you remove the part where he asserts conscious racism - "A party/interest group/etc. that protects the interests of Group X doesn't care about problems that effect People Y." Isn't that basic self-interest (or, you know, people aligning along class interests...)?

The best way to engage with someone like this gentleman is not to dismiss him out of hand, but to ask him if firearms can be isolated from socio-economic status, proximity to the fallout of the War on Drugs, etc..
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 12:10:14 AM »
So....does he want a return of Jim Crow gun laws?

He only wants white people having guns?

heck, I'm Irish and that scares ME!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Len Budney

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 03:10:55 AM »
So Republicans are the ones behind people illegally buying illegal guns illegally from illegal dealers in illegal transactions often financed by illegal substances.

Brilliant! I don't think you could cram in even one more "illegal."  grin
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 03:33:35 AM »
He basically said that while gun control was based in racism, NOW the lack of gun control is racism, because African Americans are killing each other with guns; and easy access to guns is just a Republican plot to make things harder for them.

Yep. White people have to prevent those poor colored folks from themselves. The white man's burden can never be set down.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 03:54:41 AM »
I'll do you one better...

I caught a rerun of Rush Limbaugh on Thursday.

He had a guy name Moe call in and claim that

1) Condeleeza Rice and Dick Cheney bought insurance on the World Trade Center 3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days before the Sept. 11 attacks

2) Condeleeza admitted to this during a trial

Rush held him over a break and then once Moe was gone, he started a nice tin-foil hat trick. Saying that it was a bad, bad move to blab about it on the radio and that the gov't had called during the break for the call records laugh

It was funny as hell.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 06:00:20 AM »
NOW the lack of gun control is racism, because African Americans are killing each other with guns; and easy access to guns is just a Republican plot to make things harder for them.
Hey, spread the word . . . all black people have to do in order to undermine whitey's plot is stop killing each other; should be simple, right?  rolleyes

The frightening thing is that some supposedly sane people take asinine gibberish like that seriously . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 06:18:02 AM »
Does this mean that I have to stop buying 'black' rifles?  Or other black guns?

Or does this mean that I need more black rifles and guns?

Hmmm... I think it's the latter.  grin
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 06:43:40 AM »
Ah, another advocate of the NRA... Negro Removal Association... as one hard-core leftist public radio columnist once called it.

Maybe the war on drugs is also based on racisim...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 05:40:40 PM »
I am a liberal, but don't hold it against me
How can you listen to such tripe and remain affiliated with that loony bin? Come join the libertarians, we're like Republicans except we believe in small government, not invading third world countries for fun, and don't like government sanctioned torture. Oh and a real economy with real money wouldn't be bad either.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 05:57:51 PM »
How can you listen to such tripe and remain affiliated with that loony bin? Come join the libertarians, we're like Republicans except we believe in small government, not invading third world countries for fun, and don't like government sanctioned torture. Oh and a real economy with real money wouldn't be bad either.

And black helicopters, and illuminati/skull and bones/zionist plots, controlled demolitions on 9/11 and never getting many people elected to office.

Until the libertarians ditch the loon element, they're not going anywhere but as point-and-laugh characters on network crime dramas.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 06:18:46 PM »

I believe in the core of what the belief used to be about. 
I like some parts of libertarianism, but other parts bother me.  I'd actually call myself a "Liberaltarian".

In postscript, I heard the rebroadcast of the show tonight.  Something I found interesting.  After the host brought up gun control, he had 4 calls before he went to another scripted part of the show, and then it ended.

All four callers, including myself, were against gun control.
This surprised and pleased me, because yes, this guy is a loon, and I assume his show attracts mostly loons.  But this is the Liberal sirius radio channel; and that he got 4 callers in a row against gun control warmed my heart.  Slightly.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 06:24:34 PM »
And black helicopters, and illuminati/skull and bones/zionist plots, controlled demolitions on 9/11
All parties have nutjobs, the Democrats are the only party that cater to them. Ron Paul ditched the Liberty Dollar loonies as soon as they reared their ugly head. The so called "liberals" in this country are not even true to the definition of the word. I think Nitrogen is a real liberal, but the ones in power are fakes. Big government nanny states the want to regulate everything down to the number of buttons on your shirt are not liberal at all.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 02:35:56 AM »
Did you ask if Blacks should sign statements promising never to own firearms and subject to random searches to ensure they have no guns?

I have asked Jesse Jackson if he would agree to such treatment for African-Americans.  So far no response.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 09:39:19 AM »
Thread Drift:  Many of the more humanitarian goals of Liberals are okay.  Usually, however, the means of achieving those goals is anathema to those who work to earn them, themselves.  That is, when you raise taxes to support a program which is largely inefficacious, and then want to enlarge the program in spite of failures, you ain't playing with a full deck.

And that's largely descriptive of our welfare system and our public education system.  "More money!" does not equate to success.

The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

griz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 10:20:31 AM »
There was a gun store owner in one of our major cities who used a unique ploy to counter Mr. Jackson's assertion that black violence was the fault of the people marketing guns.  To point out the absurity, he agreed with Jesse, and said he would not sell guns to blacks.  Of course it was to make a point, and he got some publicity out of it.  What ever happened to that guy?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 10:38:55 AM »
To point out the absurity, he agreed with Jesse, and said he would not sell guns to blacks. 

I've got to remember this next time the issue comes up.

Hopefully, I don't meet that many people that use this crazy argument.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 01:33:34 PM »
The last time I went to a gun show, I saw two things.  First, there was the Black fellow purchasing a handgun.  And I wondered if that would properly horrify the tools a few rows over that were selling Klan t-shirts.  (And that was the second thing, I hope you could figure that out.) 

I probably should have said something to the shirt-pimping mouth-breathers, but I was just in the worst possible mood a person could be in, and still be surrounded by yummy weapons.*  I think all gun shows need a policy whereby, if you sell racist garbage, the annoying guy with the stun gun gets to use you for demonstrations.  Repeatedly. 

*Unless you were surrounded by weapons aimed at you.  That would put you in an even worse mood than what I was in.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 02:48:40 PM »
I'm still a fan of the Jews Vs the KKK Jerry Springer beatdown. They knocked the sheet out of them. (pun intended)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 03:15:22 PM »
I'm still a fan of the Jews Vs the KKK Jerry Springer beatdown. They knocked the sheet out of them. (pun intended)

Ooooh!!  That would be cool.  I guess I missed it.  Probably staged anyhow, I guess. 

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 03:26:45 PM »
I've always wondered why the gun show organizers let racist idiots set up booths. Do they not screen them or something?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 04:01:46 PM »
I looked it up for you Fistful, you should be happy. The episode is described as
"Klanfrontation!" in which hooded members of Ku Klux Klan (KKK) brawled with members of the Jewish Anti-Defamation League

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 05:20:25 PM »
I've always wondered why the gun show organizers let racist idiots set up booths. Do they not screen them or something? 

In this case, it was just one box of t-shirts out of a whole table full of guns and politics-themed shirts.  It was covered with a cardboard sign warning of its offensive nature.   rolleyes  It was the "Original Boys in the Hood" t-shirt, if any of you have seen that one.  Maybe they didn't have any Klan sympathies and just thought it was a funny shirt? 

All the same, it would be nice if the organizers would have a little more sense about these things, if they want gun shows to remain legal.  They should enact that stun-gun rule. 

I looked it up for you Fistful, you should be happy. The episode is described as
"Klanfrontation!" in which hooded members of Ku Klux Klan (KKK) brawled with members of the Jewish Anti-Defamation League

Thanks, homey.  Once I realized it was probably staged, it kinda ruined it for me.   smiley