Author Topic: Walmart Lockdown due to parking lot drama  (Read 4812 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Walmart Lockdown due to parking lot drama
« on: January 28, 2011, 01:01:37 PM »
http://www.kirksvilledailyexpress.com/features/x1791707599/Report-of-armed-man-leads-to-lockdown-at-Wal-Mart

Maybe I'm just a jerk, but there's no way I'm letting anyone lock me inside a big box store or mall.  If I see employees blocking me from leaving through the front doors, the first place I'm going is OUT some of the fire doors or stock doors in the sides or back of the store.  And if anyone wants to stop me they damned well better be wearing a badge.  Not rental security... a real effing badge.  If it's bad enough for a lock-down, I most certainly DO NOT want to be there. 

I understand not letting people out through the front of the store to where the drama is happening in the parking lot... but I don't want to be in the middle of the sea of caged lemmings.  Yeah, I may not be able to get to my vehicle and leave the area for good, but at least I can walk across the street to the gas station or fast food joint and divorce myself from the drama.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
Re: Walmart Lockdown due to parking lot drama
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 01:08:26 PM »
Agree with AZRedhawk about not allowing myself to be locked in by anyone less than a uniformed, sworn, LEO. (And if the fire exits aren't covered, I'm gone.) Putting distance between myself and whatever is happening is priority #1.

In the story, it says that the police identified the man - he had a CELLPHONE to his head - he was TALKING on it.

They TOOK HIM INTO CUSTODY and searched his car, finding NO gun.

Really? Nothing illegal? THEN WHY TAKE HIM INTO CUSTODY?!?!

Sounds like he has a good basis for a lawsuit.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:11:07 PM »
He was "taken into custody without incident" for talking on his cell phone.

Did they file charges against the person who filed the false report? (why do I even ask questions like that. Of course they didn't)
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 01:16:39 PM »
from article:

KPD responded to control the scene and ordered a lockdown of the store both to keep shoppers in and prevent the individual from entering the store

Call me pessimistic, but I bet there's a law on the books that makes this lockdown legal, and going out the back a crime.  $10 says that if they catch you ignoring their lockdown with a CCW, it becomes a felony.

Sucks, but in my experiance police departments get testy if you ignore their decrees.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 01:17:11 PM »
We really need tort reform.  My first thought when hearing of recent school lock downs in California was that a few successful civil suits for wrongful imprisonment would cure such stupidity, but the reality is that we need to cure the underlying causes.

This is not to say I would not relish retiring on the proceeds of my own suit. =D
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 02:07:32 PM »
from article:

Call me pessimistic, but I bet there's a law on the books that makes this lockdown legal, and going out the back a crime.  $10 says that if they catch you ignoring their lockdown with a CCW, it becomes a felony.

Sucks, but in my experiance police departments get testy if you ignore their decrees.

At best you might get slapped with an Obstruction of Justice charge, or some other form of "interferring with a po-lice ossifer" complaint.  If the perp is outside the front door and already ID'd I'm saying it would be hard to get a conviction, but you still might have to take the ride and get a set of 8x10 color glossies with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back.  It's after you get the charge dismissed that you spend more money suing for violation of your rights.

Me?  I'm gonna claim a triple medical emergency at the back/side door - bad heart made worse by anxiety and clostrophobia, collapse from bad back, and breathing problems from COPD.  Better get the white&red bus backed up to the door.  If they want to "secure" my handgun I'm getting a receipt for it.  I'll be the nicest, most cooperative cardiac patient they've ever transported.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 03:17:46 PM »
I was in a school lockdown for some 6 hours when there was a student with a civil war rifle on campus.  I got out of the classroom and the building, but walled and gated university it was, there was a LEO at each entrance and exit.  I wasn't going to risk jumping the wall, but from talking to some folks gathered around an exit we weren't permitted to leave, I did get to learn what was going on and hear some radio chatter from the LEO.  The radio chatter confirmed my opinion, the lockdown was to further no law enforcement purpose than to look like they were doing something.  Intentions unknown, an ROTC student tackled the 'gunman' before any direct or indicative acts were taken.  When seconds count, the police are just minutes away  :police:

Laws be damned, unlawful imprisonment shouldn't get exceptions unless than is a damn good reason.  I like my arrests to come with actual arrests.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 03:24:32 PM »
Not to nit pick the nitpickers, but taken into custody isn't the same as arrested.  If you're ever detained as a suspect you're taken into custody.  Pretty much if you're in cuffs or in the back of a cruiser.  You could be promptly let go, without ever leaving the location of custody. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 03:42:10 PM »
Not to nit pick the nitpickers, but taken into custody isn't the same as arrested.  If you're ever detained as a suspect you're taken into custody.  Pretty much if you're in cuffs or in the back of a cruiser.  You could be promptly let go, without ever leaving the location of custody. 

To follow up on that the term "taken into custody" (especially as filtered through the lense of a 'news' report) could be taken so broadly as to mean almost anything, even actions more benign than JJ describes. If a police officer took a lost toddler by the hand or placed his hand on the elbow of wobbly alzheimer's patient to direct him to a seat, while he/she summoned responsible parties for the abovementioned examples, it could be described as "taken into custody".

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 03:51:25 PM »
Can the idiot who called it in be charged with being a busy body chicken little.  :facepalm:

And i'm with you guys, out the back. Had it been a real incident, i'm not staying in the bucket with the rest of the fish.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 03:55:28 PM »
To follow up on that the term "taken into custody" (especially as filtered through the lense of a 'news' report) could be taken so broadly as to mean almost anything, even actions more benign than JJ describes. If a police officer took a lost toddler by the hand or placed his hand on the elbow of wobbly alzheimer's patient to direct him to a seat, while he/she summoned responsible parties for the abovementioned examples, it could be described as "taken into custody".
OF COURSE this was the same thing - just the police being helpful, probably helping the man dial. I'm sure the motorist found the friendly attention just as welcome as a lost toddler would when Sheriff Andy Taylor of Mayberry helped him find his mommy.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 04:01:11 PM »
OF COURSE this was the same thing - just the police being helpful...

I'm not saying it was or wasn't. Just that the terminology is very broad.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 04:02:16 PM »
Can the idiot who called it in be charged with being a busy body chicken little.  :facepalm:

And i'm with you guys, out the back. Had it been a real incident, i'm not staying in the bucket with the rest of the fish.

If the Powers That Be had the nerve to do so, they could charge the induhvidual with any of one or several crimes plus the costs associated with the event.  Odds of it actually happening, given nobody innocently standing by was shot/killed, are somewhat less than the deficit being retired next week.

Whether or not the Powers That Be do so, WalMart and each & every person delayed/detained/distressed can sue civilly for actual damages - and can try for punitive damages as well.  (Had a boss one time that would have sicced his tile-crawler all over the guy had I been sent there on business & been delayed in returning.  Actually was a nice guy to work for, but had an extremely vast dislike of stupidity and the available bucks to make misery for those committing stupidity on his time.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 04:09:58 PM »
Remember: Janet Nopalatno has her "report suspicious activity" message playing in Walmart....the person who reported was just being a good citizen!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 04:28:45 PM »
Remember: Janet Nopalatno has her "report suspicious activity" message playing in Walmart....the person who reported was just being a good citizen!

^^^ This.

We have nobody to blame/thank for this sort of incident other than Big Sis. And we can undoubtedly expect more of same.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 04:48:04 PM »
^^^ This.

We have nobody to blame/thank for this sort of incident other than Big Sis. And we can undoubtedly expect more of same.

Bologna.

There were Whigs and Tories in 1775.

Every sane American should roll their eyes and turn on the GIGO filter whenever any empty headed bafoon with a DHS podium in front of them starts talking on camera.

You're attempting to imply a Nuremberg Defense being eligible for civilian decisions based upon DHS directives.  I don't buy it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 06:43:48 PM »
Kirksville Police responded to and defused the situation with no injuries.

What situation? Defused? They interrupted a conversation. Medals for everyone!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 11:24:57 PM »
Me?  I'm gonna claim a triple medical emergency at the back/side door - bad heart made worse by anxiety and clostrophobia, collapse from bad back, and breathing problems from COPD.  Better get the white&red bus backed up to the door.  If they want to "secure" my handgun I'm getting a receipt for it.  I'll be the nicest, most cooperative cardiac patient they've ever transported.

Enjoy your MONA-B  and $2000 ambulance ride :D

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 03:03:15 AM »
Walmart sells sledge hammers, bolt cutters and the like. It's only a block building if you get seriously pissed.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 03:37:23 AM »
KPD responded to control the scene and ordered a lockdown of the store  both to keep shoppers in and prevent the individual from entering the store

So, what's the department's liability if one of those untrained employees they just pressed into service as jailers ends up getting hurt?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 12:23:12 PM »
There are fire exits in the store and fire exits through the stockroom/backroom area (which at the WM I worked at, surrounds the building on three sides). It should be noted that the exits at the store I worked at, unless you went out the front, dumped you out behind the whole walmart/strip mall/shopping center complex, and our shopping center was bordered by mixed residential/wooded area. Yes, I had extensive plans to GTFO of the area when I worked at WM. It would have been trivial to get out of the area, just a lot of hoofing and climbing over a fence or two.

Our "emergency plan" was a load of *expletive deleted*it. It went from lockdowns to covering all kinds of disasters (which we were to "remain a the store" and assist with...yeah right...I'm getting paid less than $10 an hour. I'll do as I see fit)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 05:45:50 PM »
You'd think with all the little ninja toys, that the WOD money buys, that a LEO would have used a scope or other device to get a better look at the guy on the phone.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 05:56:03 PM »
You'd think with all the little ninja toys, that the WOD money buys, that a LEO would have used a scope or other device to get a better look at the guy on the phone.

Yeah, they could have shot the phone from his ear and saved everyone ...   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin