Author Topic: White valedictorian: A first for historically black Morehouse  (Read 9403 times)

taurusowner

Some notable quotes from the story...

"One guy came up to me and told me -- he didn't like the fact that I was here," recalls Packwood. "He absolutely didn't like the fact that I dated black women."

"I don't necessarily support him being here, but because he's here and we can't discriminate against other races, I support him and his mission to be successful in life," says Muhammad, a junior. "I just kind of wish he had done it at a different institution."

Even though he received the support of school administrators, Packwood's scholastic success did not come without some controversy. When word got out that he might become the next valedictorian, some of his classmates - even friends - were admittedly chafed.

"They approached me and said, 'Yeah, I have a problem with you being valedictorian. I know you've earned it and even though I know you on a personal level - I like you a lot - but it disturbs me that out of roughly 3,000 black men - there's not one that's done as well as or better than you academically,' " says Packwood."

"I think that it should be a wake-up call to an all black campus," says Muhammad. "At Morehouse we're supposed to be at the top as black men. We only have a few white students and to see a white student will rise to this - is something unsettling to me because it shows that we need to work harder."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/16/white.valedictorian/index.html

Now lets play a game.  Switch the races around.  Pretend that it's a black valedictorian at a mostly white school

"One guy came up to me and told me -- he didn't like the fact that I was here," recalls Packwood. "He absolutely didn't like the fact that I dated white women."

Even though he received the support of school administrators, Packwood's scholastic success did not come without some controversy. When word got out that he might become the next valedictorian, some of his classmates - even friends - were admittedly chafed.

"They approached me and said, 'Yeah, I have a problem with you being valedictorian. I know you've earned it and even though I know you on a personal level - I like you a lot - but it disturbs me that out of roughly 3,000 white men - there's not one that's done as well as or better than you academically,' " says Packwood."

"I think that it should be a wake-up call to an all white campus," says Muhammad. "At Morehouse we're supposed to be at the top as white men. We only have a few black students and to see a black student will rise to this - is something unsettling to me because it shows that we need to work harder."

What would Shaprton's reaction been?  The Media?  Your own reaction?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: White valedictorian: A first for historically black Morehouse
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 02:19:25 PM »
lets get real  no white folks woulda been that honest  even the 1/2 or so thinking eactly as you presented.  as a general observation from a guy who worked  and lived where he was the token almost white guy. the brothers and sisters will treat you well once they get to know you. genuinely treat you right as opposed to that "some of my best friends are black" nonsense the pale folks try to peddle. i would much rather be the only white guy in a black enviroment than the only black guy in a white one.

they are allowed to feel resentment and i admire their candor
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 02:36:52 PM »
So 2 wrongs do in fact make a right?  Racism in response to past racism is OK?  Vengeance is better than progress?  Gotcha.

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 03:18:43 PM »
what wrong was done this man? those folks have a right to feel how they feel and the right to epress it. they neither seek nor require your permission or approval. were they acting out this young man wouldn't be valedictorian. the fact they are open enough to epress how they feel in public as well as directly to this young man speaks well of them as well as speaks well of how totally they accept him as a human and classmate. you imagine that were a black guy to be valedictorian of harvard the white kids that resented it would be man enough to tell him? or in your fantasy would none of them have the same kinda resentments?
there are no thought /attitude police and the folks at morehouse are allowed to think and feel what they want. and hopefully grow from it
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 04:12:04 PM »
Maybe that Martin-Luther-King-Dream-Thing has a chance after all.....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

taurusowner

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 04:16:31 PM »
cassandra's daddy, you're doing a great job talking around it, but point blank; would it be wrong for a white person to feel that a black valedictorian at his college is a threat and should have attended a different school?  And that he shouldn't date white women.  Would you be praising said white student for speaking his mind?

If a whiter person expressing disdain at the success of a black person is racist, why is not the same true when the races are reversed.  Can't you just answer that?

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 04:33:23 PM »
let me simplify it

no  no  yes

who said it wasn't  racist or was wrong?  besides you?

last i checked you can believe what you like

i've never tried to claim i wasn't racist. not wrong to be one. now how one behaves can be wrong and i strive not to let flaws in my character impact other folks unfairly.
interest and exposure to racism isn't acedemic  hi praise folks who can be honest cause thats how folks grow and change.
my interest and experience with racism isn't academic  how about yours?

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 04:55:26 PM »
If you are black = expressing your opinion or feelings

If you are white = racist

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 05:06:42 PM »
its all about being honest.
its kinda funny to watch white folks trying to convince everyone  heck anyone that they aren't racist. i have more respect for the ones who are honest about it.   in my life i've found that the brothers and sisters are much more candid about being racist. they don't feel the need to make excuses. some of them do have a harder time aknowledging their racism as it applys to other black folks but some of thats just a circling the wagons thing.
of course some of the other folks on here might have more extensive and different experiences and i'd be interested to hear them

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 07:31:36 PM »
its all about being honest.
its kinda funny to watch white folks trying to convince everyone  heck anyone that they aren't racist. i have more respect for the ones who are honest about it.   in my life i've found that the brothers and sisters are much more candid about being racist. they don't feel the need to make excuses. some of them do have a harder time aknowledging their racism as it applys to other black folks but some of thats just a circling the wagons thing.
of course some of the other folks on here might have more extensive and different experiences and i'd be interested to hear them
As a white folk, I resent your baseless accusation that I am racist.  A lot of my close friends are white folks, too.  They'd resent your insult just as much as I do. 

If you're gonna accuse me and mine of racism, you'd better have some darned good evidence to back it up.  So, where's your evidence?  Where's your proof?  Name an instance, even just one, of any of us exhibiting racism.

Put up or shut up.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 02:49:38 AM »
Now lets play a game.  Switch the races around.  Pretend that it's a black valedictorian at a mostly white school
Let's not.
Let's take the article at face value without involving Sharpton, Jackson or other race baiters/race baiting.
Packwood made valedictorian despite his race and despite the odds. Good on him.
Some racist fools take umbrage at his success. Bad on them.
Others see it as a wake-up call to strive harder in order to follow Packwood's lead. Good on them.
What's the problem?

Maybe that Martin-Luther-King-Dream-Thing has a chance after all.....  grin
I hope so.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 03:02:52 AM »
If you're gonna accuse me and mine of racism, you'd better have some darned good evidence to back it up.  So, where's your evidence?  Where's your proof?  Name an instance, even just one, of any of us exhibiting racism.

define your "us" for me. or can i just use  folks in general?

Daniel964

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 07:15:50 AM »
I think everyone on this planet is racist. Black, white, red, yellow, brown etc. It doesn't matter what country your from either.

Everyone is racist to some extent. Either a lot, or a little. I know I'm not on the extreme end of racism but I know I am racist in a small way.

It's only through self control that we can try to overcome that part of ourselves.

Now I invite everyone to try and figure out what color I am and what country I come from.

And I'm not going to tell you if you guess right or wrong. grin

johnster999

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 07:37:22 AM »
I'm glad the young man did so well in school and got his degree. Good luck to him.

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 08:53:04 AM »
i agree daniel  though i tend to think its less race based than it is xenophobia.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 10:13:54 AM »
If y'all think there's no such thing as a non-racist person, then you need to get out more.  Maybe find a new circle of friends.

There are plenty of people in this country who don't give a flying fig what race you belong to.  I'm one of them.  I have far more important things to worry about than the color of anyone's skin.

Justifying someone's racism because "everyone else does it too" or because "at lease being he's honest about his racism" is patently stupid.

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 10:24:01 AM »
white guy right? optherwise you'd never have that compulsion to announce.
what part of the country you live in?

taurusowner

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 10:29:22 AM »
I don't particularly care what people think about each other or race.

I do care about the double standard in this country that denounces white people and excuses everyone else for the same behavior.

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 10:39:11 AM »
the most amusing part is that the force behind the denouncements comes from guilty white folks in all white neighborhoods. they shout the loudest so as to prove, to someone, that they aren't racist. the al sharptons exploit their guilt for cash and power. better than a circus

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 10:41:46 AM »
white guy right? optherwise you'd never have that compulsion to announce.
what part of the country you live in?
Compulsion to announce what?

I live in Indiana.

The only reason I bring any of this up is because you claim that all "white folks" (your term) are racist.  Sorry, pal, it just ain't so.  You can't use that false claim as a justification or an excuse for other peoples' racism.  Even if it were true (it isn't, but even if it were) it still doesn't change things any.  Two wrongs don't make a right.

Regardless, you've castigated me as a racist.  Back up your charge or retract it. 

I want you to acknowledge that not all white folks are racist.  I won't let you pretend that there are racist bogeymen hiding beneath every rock.

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 10:59:34 AM »
you claim that all "white folks" (your term) are racist

where did i say that?

not here i hope

"lets get real  no white folks woulda been that honest  even the 1/2 or so thinking eactly as you presented"

i have been fairly consistent in saying all folks are racist.  its just the white ones squeal when they hear that. hence the need to announce

ever hear me pick on folks with the cell phone test?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 11:10:17 AM »
You said its funny watching white folks pretend they aren't racist.  Now, I admit, I could have misread that.  It's kinda hard to understand what you mean, given that you don't bother with punctuation and grammar and whatnot.

Sorry, but it isn't all pretend.  Many white folks well and truly aren't racist.  Many non-white folks well and truly aren't racist.  If you think that everyone is racist, then you are sorely mistaken. 

I want you to acknowledge that there are lots of people in the world who aren't racists.

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 11:26:42 AM »
this one of those times i'd love to be wrong

a lil test/sample if you will. how close is nearest black neighbor? when last in school how was school demographically?

and the dreaded cell phone test  in your address book how many folks not like you racially are in it?  not allowed to count domestic help or the amigoes that cut your grass;

maybe your definition of racism is different than mine. how do you define/describe it

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 12:01:31 PM »
If you're going to label me racist because I don't have black people in my cell phone list, then maybe you should come down here and meet some of the local black people.

Every one in my neighborhood wears gang colors.  My neighbors are constantly fighting, screaming and blasting stereos at all hours of the night.  The guys sit in the car drinking a beer while the woman gets out and pumps gas and goes in to get junk food.  Every night I'm positive one of the guys living next door will get high on whatever drugs I've seen them dealing across the street and break in my home.

Would you want to associate with a person like that?

I'm sorry I don't make friends with every black person I see, but that doesn't make me racist.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 12:08:48 PM »
this one of those times i'd love to be wrong

a lil test/sample if you will. how close is nearest black neighbor? when last in school how was school demographically?

and the dreaded cell phone test  in your address book how many folks not like you racially are in it?  not allowed to count domestic help or the amigoes that cut your grass;

maybe your definition of racism is different than mine. how do you define/describe it
Nearest black neighbors are a family across the street.  I'm guessing they're about 30 yards away.

I'm not sure about the demographics of my school overall.  There were very few black or Hispanic people in my classes, nor were there many women.  But there were lots of Asians.  Not everyone is drawn to computer programming and electrical engineering, I guess.

The only numbers programmed into my cell phone are immediate family members, all of my own race.  They were programmed by my sister.  I don't bother with that sort of thing.

Does any of this make me racist?

Racism is judging someone badly based solely on their race, not on their merits.  That's precisely what the quoted black students at Morehouse did to the Valedictorian.  They judged him as somehow being the wrong man to receive their school's top honor, not because he hadn't earned it academically, but because he didn't have enough pigment in his skin.