Author Topic: White valedictorian: A first for historically black Morehouse  (Read 9404 times)

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Re: White valedictorian: A first for historically black Morehouse
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2008, 12:10:42 PM »
Also, what does class population have to do with anything?  I was usually on of two or three white kids in classes of 30+.  I was the only white kid on my school bus, and it was sometimes 3 kids to a seat.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2008, 12:33:49 PM »
Oh, he knows more about racism than anyone else because he is supposedly "off white" or something.
For people like him, unless you are "other than" white, you know nothing of racism.
According to him, those students are to be admired for speaking out about their racist feelings. White people who do that are usually called "Klukkers".
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 02:11:58 PM »
Racism is judging someone badly based solely on their race, not on their merits.  That's precisely what the quoted black students at Morehouse did to the Valedictorian.  They judged him as somehow being the wrong man to receive their school's top honor, not because he hadn't earned it academically, but because he didn't have enough pigment in his skin.

no argument there

but supposing you don't have an opportunity to judge merit. the classic scene used is you are walking at night alone  do you react the same way if you see three black teen agers behind you as you do if the three kids are white?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2008, 02:24:46 PM »
but supposing you don't have an opportunity to judge merit. the classic scene used is you are walking at night alone  do you react the same way if you see three black teen agers behind you as you do if the three kids are white?
Yes, I do.  But more importantly I look at their behavior.  Are they acting like thugs/gangbangers/idiots?  Then their style of dress.  Are they dressed like thugs/gangbangers/idiots?
Still doesn't make me ignore them when they're dressed nicely and acting like mormons, but I do take it into account.

Also, protip:  You're assuming that we (white people) WILL act differently depending on the color of some group of teenagers just because we're white.  Doesn't that make you racist yourself?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2008, 02:28:32 PM »
If I've been married for over 5 years to a non-white woman does that count?  rolleyes You're listing towards McPaddy territory there cdad.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2008, 02:29:40 PM »
what wrong was done this man? those folks have a right to feel how they feel and the right to epress it. they neither seek nor require your permission or approval. were they acting out this young man wouldn't be valedictorian. the fact they are open enough to epress how they feel in public as well as directly to this young man speaks well of them as well as speaks well of how totally they accept him as a human and classmate. you imagine that were a black guy to be valedictorian of harvard the white kids that resented it would be man enough to tell him? or in your fantasy would none of them have the same kinda resentments?
there are no thought /attitude police and the folks at morehouse are allowed to think and feel what they want. and hopefully grow from it

This is a good take, imho. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2008, 02:33:18 PM »
His position is that everyone is racist. The best one can do is admit it. I guess that explains why he's so in favor of La Raza et al. You must really love the black panthers and the Klan eh?

Saying everyone is racist to justify your own racism is like a pedophile saying "Well everyone thinks of 9 y/o's sexually, I just have the courage to admit it." It's bullshit, it's very insulting, and it's a pathetic excuse to try to slide out of your own problems.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2008, 02:41:05 PM »
absolutely   you'll never hear me try to claim that i'm not racist. never hid it from the black folks i lived and worked with. they for the most part rather prefer the honesty.  it seems that calling yourself racist does knot the knickers of a lotta white folks. kinda funny that.  

"If I've been married for over 5 years to a non-white woman does that count?   You're listing towards McPaddy territory there cdad." 
heck i'm a racist  with a black son that i couldn't love more or be prouder of.  life is a hoot

and shooting student?  can we keep it kinda quiet about us agreeing?  i have a reputation to protect

"
"Saying everyone is racist to justify your own racism is like a pedophile saying "Well everyone thinks of 9 y/o's sexually, I just have the courage to admit it." It's bullshit, it's very insulting, and it's a pathetic excuse to try to slide out of your own problems."

theres that white thing again why would anyone try to justify racism? i don't try to justify breathing or the weather  they just are. its a thing  neither good or bad.  its what you do with it that matters. the funniest thing is most black folks understand when i say it  only yhe white folks demand explanations.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2008, 03:01:08 PM »
What a bunch of bull.  By the broadest possible definition, yeah, having occasional racist thoughts might make me a racist.  But then by that kind of measure, we're all murderers, too. 

In real-world terms, I'm not a racist.  Just the way I was raised, coupled with my religious beliefs.  And I DON'T tell Black people about how I used to know a black guy one time.  I don't tell them that I've lived with Black room-mates, or about the many black supervisors I've worked for.  And I don't tell them that I like blues and rap.  I just tell that to weird guys on the internet.  Tongue
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wideym

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2008, 04:00:49 PM »
It's not really racism if you don't like rap/hip hop music and clothes or don't live next to black people.  People tend to gravitate towards others who talk and act like themselves, not what color they are.  There are plenty of whites I wouldn't be caught dead associating with. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2008, 06:06:15 PM »
That is true.  I have met people of various races who grew up in rural areas and we got along fine.  Same thing for engineer types to some extent.  Culture, background, upbringing mean a lot more than race. 

CDSD, your test is sort of weird.  I bet most people would give what I would guess to be passing answers.  I don't think I have seen any suburbs around Houston that were all white.  The closest thing I can think of might be a small area having $10 million plus homes with a lot of old oil money.  I only visited one house in that area though.   

I wouldn't term myself a racist.  I figure I am certainly prejudiced at times over any number of things including race.  I think clothes, cleanliness, and attitude would trigger that more often than race.  I think the biggest thing I encounter with black people is that some seem to approach you with an angry or distrustful look/tone.  I am generally less talkative with anyone I don't know so the combination is doomed.  Smiley  I just try to smile and say howdy to anyone I meet and that always helps. 

As for the OP, congrats to the guy for accomplishing valedictorian.  I hope it provides an opportunity for every student at that college to rethink their own attitude about race. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2008, 12:27:39 PM »
You're reading too much into the statements.  Ignore the rest of it and read this part, only:
because it shows that we need to work harder."

His point is obviously that he's bothered that 3,000 black students didn't best a handful of white students in academics. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2008, 07:05:36 AM »
this one of those times i'd love to be wrong

a lil test/sample if you will. how close is nearest black neighbor?

2 houses up the block

when last in school how was school demographically?

asian instructor, 1 asian female student, 2 black male students, 4 white male students

and the dreaded cell phone test  in your address book how many folks not like you racially are in it?  not allowed to count domestic help or the amigoes that cut your grass;

3 co-workers, 1 former drummer

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2008, 07:10:05 AM »
You're reading too much into the statements.  Ignore the rest of it and read this part, only:
because it shows that we need to work harder."

His point is obviously that he's bothered that 3,000 black students didn't best a handful of white students in academics. 

Excellent point.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 12:51:13 AM »
I'm not racist, either. I tend to be more focused with my hatreds. 
I've learned that there are people out there who will hate and try to hurt you no matter what you are or what you do.
If the Stormfront types killed everyone else off, I'd bet it wouldn't be long before the blondes tried to wipe out the brunettes and the blue-eyed started fighting the green-eyed.
It's how you treat me if we were ever to meet that would determine my sentiment towards you and you alone.

Bravo to the Valedictorian. Everyone else had better hit the books harder.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 05:01:17 AM »
this one of those times i'd love to be wrong

a lil test/sample if you will. how close is nearest black neighbor? when last in school how was school demographically?

and the dreaded cell phone test  in your address book how many folks not like you racially are in it?  not allowed to count domestic help or the amigoes that cut your grass;

maybe your definition of racism is different than mine. how do you define/describe it

Meaningless test. Am I responsible for regional demographics? Or should I move because there are not enough black people in the area I live in?
I also don't have any domestic help and I cut my own damn grass. Not only are you projecting your own racial insecurities but also your classist elitism. Who the hell are you to judge anyone else?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 06:38:50 AM »
I dunno, I have awfully low expectations, in general, for all of humanity.

Misanthropy is probably too strong a word for my beliefs, though.  More like an understanding of immutable human nature and its barbarity when unleavened by proper socialization in Western culture.

One thing I have noticed is that folks have an affinity for others similar to them.  Makes sense, since we are social critters.

I think it is a leap to go from an affinity toward some group and racism/bigotry against another group.  Unless given evidence, I would not make such claims against another.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton