Author Topic: Trip to CMP South Advice  (Read 1327 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Trip to CMP South Advice
« on: November 01, 2008, 02:27:22 PM »
Howdy:

I will stop by CMP South (Anniston) right before they break for Christmas.

I intended to just pick up my first M1 Garand, but SWMBO said, "Might as well pick up a M1 Carbine while we're there, since with <the more anti-RKBA candiate> likely winning the Presidency, who knows what will be available to leave to our children."

Who am I to question such wifely wisdom?

Now the question becomes which particular rifles. My purpose for these rifels is as follows:
1. Shooter. I shoot the firearms I own. If it collects dust, that is my fault.
2. History. I want to keep them intact. I will not butcher them.
3. Competition. When I get time, I want to enter one of those unaltered Garand shoots.
4. Home defense. My wife is slight of stature and a M1 Carbine might be up her alley, long-gun wise. Never know until you shoot one.

I would give up desirability for quality any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

M1 Garand: http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
My first inclination is to get a $595 Service Grade as a shooter. I am not up on the desirability/quality of SA vs HRA, so could use a pointer.

I am intrigued by the $750 Correct Grade HRA Special, however. Given the stock is a new manufacture, does anyone think the condition alone (throat erosion & muzzle wear) worth the extra $155 vs the Service Grade?

$750 will be a stretch, so the higher-dollar Granads will have to be adopted by someone with more disposable cash.

M1 Carbine: http://www.thecmp.org/m1carbine.htm
The only thing I know about M1 Carbine desirability/quality is that the Inland-produced ones have a reputation for being least so.

Unfortunately, the Inlands seem the only Service Grade available. The thread here (http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=72672) indicates some Winchesters of indeterminate condition will come on-board.

Any Carbine pointers?

In-Person Examination
Any pointers on what to look for? I could order some gauges from Brownells if that is considered wise, as my 03 C&R gets me the discount.

==========

Thanks for any help.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Trip to CMP South Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 02:34:19 PM »
The Inlands just seem less valuable because there's so many of them. There's nothing wrong with them! My dad has a gorgeous one he restored.

The "lesser made" ones have collector value because they're rarer. People seem to want the ones with unique "Ha, they made guns?" names like the IBM and Rock-Ola ones.

But they don't shoot any better, AFAIK.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Trip to CMP South Advice
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 02:36:33 PM »
get a deagle they r awsom
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife