Author Topic: Somali vigilantes capture pirates  (Read 3262 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Somali vigilantes capture pirates
« on: April 28, 2009, 03:16:21 PM »
 Somali vigilantes capture pirates

Somali vigilantes have captured 12 armed pirates in two boats, as coastal communities begin to fight back against the sea raiders.

Regional leaders at Alula and Bargaal in Somalia's northern Puntland region told the BBC they have put together a militia of fishermen to catch pirates.

They decided to act as they were fed up with their fishing vessels being seized at gunpoint by the ocean-going bandits.

Meanwhile, the Seychelles said it had arrested nine suspected pirates.

The men were intercepted by a Spanish frigate near the Indian Ocean archipelago on Monday.

They are accused of firing on Saturday at the Italian cruise ship the Melody - which had more than 1,500 passengers - in an attack repelled by Israeli security guards.

"They are now in detention in a prison cell of the Seychelles police force and are expected to be charged and tried in the islands," Seychellois President James Michel's office said in a statement on Tuesday, reported AFP news agency.

Somali pirates have hijacked 25 vessels since the beginning of this year and are holding more than 260 crew around the stronghold of Eyl in Puntland, according to the International Maritime Bureau.

“ They decided to confront... the problems of the sea piracy ”
Traditional leader Faarah Mohammed

Now frustrated regional leaders have taken the law into their own hands.

One of them, Faarah Mohammed, told the BBC: "There is a security committee set up by the communities who live in Bargaal and Alula.

"And they decided to confront whatever was creating problems in their areas and particularly, the problems of the sea piracy.

"And eventually their effort led to the capture of three boats and 12 men with their weapons. One boat got away."

The BBC's Somali Service says the militia will have to hand the pirates over to the local authorities.

Somali pirates could face the death penalty under recent get-tough measures announced by the internationally recognised but unsteady Somali government.

Navies from Nato, the EU, Russia, Japan, China, India, Yemen, US Malaysia and Singapore have been patrolling the Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden in an effort to deter the gangs.

But some regional leaders say the foreign navies are protecting foreign fishing boats and allowing them to continue scooping up the fish-stocks that once provided Somalis with their livelihoods.

The lucrative lobster trade with Dubai is said to have collapsed after the foreign boats' giant trawler nets damaged the fragile coral that is the crustaceans' habitat.

As a result some fishermen decided to become pirates, but it appears that the local communities are now turning against these activities, says BBC Africa analyst Martin Plaut.

When first loaded, the map's focus falls on Somalia where most of the pirates are based. Use the arrow icons to scroll left towards Europe and the United States which are both playing a central role in tackling the problem.

Scroll to the right for a story about the Philippines, which supplies many of the world's mariners.

You can zoom in for more detail by using the "+" or "-" signs on the upper left hand side.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8022820.stm

Methinks someone there is trying to score points.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Somali vigilantes capture pirates
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 04:24:25 PM »
Navies from Nato, the EU, Russia, Japan, China, India, Yemen, US Malaysia and Singapore have been patrolling the Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden in an effort to deter the gangs.
Good.  I heard of a few ships in the area, but I hadn't heard of that many.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 04:27:55 PM »
Methinks someone there is trying to score points.

its a good plan  its working
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 04:29:29 PM »
This is somewhat odd since other reports have said the pirates are mostly fishermen who can no longer make a living fishing, supposedly due to dumping of European industrial waste off the Somalian coast.

Of course Somalia has a very long coastline so I suppose it could be that what is going on one place is not somewhere else.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 05:49:02 PM »
Sounds more like the local militia than vigilantes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 06:41:16 PM »
Local militia, vigilantes...at least it didn't take them days to decide, like a certain president I can think of.

taurusowner

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 07:46:25 PM »
What is their motivation for stopping the piracy?

Lee

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 08:23:31 PM »
Stealing their booty.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 09:14:49 PM »

Dissuading the combined navies of NATO, the EU, Russia, Japan, China, India, Yemen, US Malaysia and Singapore from cruising the coast of Somalie and carpet bombing it from one end to the other ... perhaps?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 10:33:57 PM »

According to the OP:

They decided to act as they were fed up with their fishing vessels being seized at gunpoint by the ocean-going bandits.

;)
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 01:37:56 PM »
This is somewhat odd since other reports have said the pirates are mostly fishermen who can no longer make a living fishing, supposedly due to dumping of European industrial waste off the Somalian coast.

I've always heard it as being foreign fishing ships strip-mining the local schools.  Or using nets that damaged the corals and screwed up their lobster crop.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 01:39:12 PM »
I've always heard it as being foreign fishing ships strip-mining the local schools.  Or using nets that damaged the corals and screwed up their lobster crop.

This is what I've heard as well.

Chris