Author Topic: things not to say to cops when you're drunk driving ( Like I'll shoot you! )  (Read 4837 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
http://www.rgj.com/article/20090507/NEWS/90507048/1321/news
Reno car salesman arraigned on charges of threatening to kill troopers after DUI arrest

By Jaclyn OMalley • jomalley@rgj.com • May 7, 2009

A 33-year-old car salesman was arraigned Wednesday for what his attorney said was being a “jerk” and an “obnoxious drunk” when he was arrested last week on charges of drunken driving and threatening to kill two Nevada Highway Patrol troopers.
Advertisement

During a bail hearing on Thursday in Reno Justice Court, Robert Adam McGuffey told Justice of the Peace Barbara Finley that “I apologize. I am guilty of being an idiot.”

She ruled that McGuffey remain held in the Washoe County Jail on a $75,000 cash bail to protect public safety. He is charged with two counts of intimidating a witness, two counts of intimidating a public officer, DUI, driving on a suspended license and speeding.

Trooper Matt Kaplan testified Thursday that he pulled over McGuffey sometime after 3 a.m., May 1, on North McCarran Boulevard near Lawlor Events Center and arrested him for DUI. On the way to the jail, he said McGuffey claimed that he was a top salesman at Jones West Ford, and that within 30 minutes of his boss bailing him out of jail, he was going to run a credit check on the trooper.

McGuffey had asked him his name and how to spell it. He said the credit check would tell him where the trooper and his family lived and shopped, and that he would hunt them down and kill them. McGuffey also threatened to sabotage the NHP vehicles that are serviced at the dealership, and gave specific ways he was going to do it.

The incident in Kaplan’s patrol car was video recorded.

Jones West Ford officials declined to comment.

Kaplan testified that McGuffey continued threatening him and another trooper while at the jail. McGuffey, Kaplan said, boasted that he was proficient at shooting and had already killed a police officer. He told the trooper he was lucky he didn’t have a gun.

“He said I wouldn’t be the first or the last,” Kaplan said of McGuffey’s threat to kill a police officer. McGuffey has prior arrests for resisting arrest, along with several other misdemeanors that date back to 1998, officials said.

The troopers said they took the threats seriously because McGuffey was thinking clearly and was specific in his threats. His blood alcohol level registered 0.11, Kaplan said, while the legal limit is .08. McGuffey’s attorney, Justin Champagne said the threats were “empty” and that McGuffey was an “obnoxious drunk.”

“You are not a kid anymore,” Finley told McGuffey. “You were not drunk out of your mind. You were thinking clearly and were trying to impress and intimidate the troopers with the things you were threatening.”

Several times throughout the hearing McGuffey apologized for making the threats, and blamed it on having a “bad day” and family problems.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 10:46:21 PM by gunsmith »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
This guy tried hard enough to go to prison that I think his efforts should be rewarded.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
.11 isn't all that drunk. The guy must be a real jerk when sober, too.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
doesn't everyone threaten the cops when they're drunk?
 :lol:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
doesn't everyone threaten the cops when they're drunk?
 :lol:

Not Mel Gibson.  He knew someone else was to blame.   :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
i think he needs some alone time to reflect  a 6x10 would be nice for that.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Standing Wolf

• friend
...driving on a suspended license...

Mysteriously, my sympathy evaporated.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

• friends
brings back memories
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Hey it's the police....

I got all your albums.
7-11 was a part time job.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
.11 isn't all that drunk. The guy must be a real jerk when sober, too.

Meh, some people are hit quicker than others. I've been near-to-passing-out drunk and no one was able to tell (I just act sleepy). A friend of mine acts very differently after only a couple drinks.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
we had a genius college student who was drinking while walking down the street  cops popped him and he decided to punch the lady cop in the face. poor decision number 1  he topped that by trying to go mano a canine with officer "joker"(often decribed as "joker is no joke!"). was last reported as being treated for multiple puncture wounds. i might take the day off for his court appearance

AZRedhawk44

• friends
This guy is an @$$cavity.  He needs to learn Tuco's law:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUslGSoEH8I

Of course, given his familiarity and adherence to more mundane laws... it wouldn't help anyways. :|
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!