Author Topic: Just Finished Rules for Radicals  (Read 1575 times)

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Just Finished Rules for Radicals
« on: September 07, 2009, 04:21:55 PM »
Interesting book.  He is, I suppose the anti Machiavelli.  I tried to get it from the library to avoid giving his estate the royalties, but they didn't carry it. 

Here are his tactics:

1.  Power is not only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have.

2.  Never go outside the experiences of your people (your volunteers).

3.  Wherever possible, go outside the experiences of your enemy (here he cites Sherman's march to the sea, although Caleb Carr would probably just say that is another extension of the Roman concept of 'total war').

4.  Make the enemy live up to their own book of rules.

5.  Ridicule is man's most potent weapon.

6.  A good tactic is one that your people enjoy.

7.  A tactic that drags on too long is a drag.

8.  Keep the pressure on.

9.  The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.

10.  The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain pressure on the opposition.

11.  If you push a negative hard enough you will see the counterside (positive).

12.  The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative (know what you want when you win).

13.  Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, polarize it.

Much of the rest of the book is dedicated to the qualities of a community organizers, self-aggrandizement, etc.  Here is what I have taken away from the book, however.

1.  If more people were aware that a community organizer is essentially a manipulative amoral huckster, we might not have been saddled with four years of this.  I am guilty of assuming he was a clipboard holding idealist, but if he has internalized even 1/3 of this poison, he is without scruples.  I was worried about Rahm before as the ultimate "ends justifies the means" guy, but there is an entire section on what ends can be justified regardless of the means.

2.  Obama seems remarkably brittle and susceptible to rule 5.  This is a man who is desperately afraid of being laughed at.  He's not afraid of self-deprecating humor, but he dictates the terms of that.  I can't point to anything in particular, but I see him as very afraid of being the butt of a joke.

3.  The town hall meetings over health care did a great job of taking our elected representatives out of the realm of their experience.  Barney Frank and Sheila Jackson Lee come to mind.

4.  The timing of the recess (while happenstance), allowed the town hall meetings to freeze, target, personalize and polarize.  If the recess hadn't happened when it did, the huckster-in-chief could have used his beneficence to counteract some of the fallout earlier.

5.  We lack the benefit of a useful alternative selection besides the status quo, but polls seem to indicate that that's enough.

Anyway, just some thoughts.  The man was obviously very bright, but sold his soul at some point.  It did strike me as The Prince through the looking glass.

Didn't know if anyone else had read it...
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Just Finished Rules for Radicals
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 05:12:39 PM »
Obama seems remarkably brittle and susceptible to rule 5.  This is a man who is desperately afraid of being laughed at.  He's not afraid of self-deprecating humor, but he dictates the terms of that.  I can't point to anything in particular, but I see him as very afraid of being the butt of a joke.

The single most destructive thing you can do to leftist extremists is laugh at them.

If you laugh at conservatives, we get cranky, laugh with you, turn around and walk away with hurt feelings, sling barbs back at you, et cetera. If you laugh at leftist extremists, you hit them where it really hurts. I think that's because so many of them are outwardly rigid and controlling because they're inwardly chaotic and fearful.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 07:46:42 PM »
I think that's because so many of them are outwardly rigid ....

dingdingdingdingding!

We have a winnah!

The only thing that I find amazing about the recent debacle regarding the health care reformation initiative is that those opposed to the liberal's agenda find their sucesses amazing.

Whether ones reads Rules for Radicals or not, observation of the opposition should have revealed their rigidity and inability to shift with the wind, no matter how many fingers were thrust up (either to guage the direction of the blowing wind or to express an opinion).  I suspect the difficulty continues to be that conservatives insist on playing by "The Rules" (not Alinsky's but those of "dignified politics").  It seems to be the dividing line between the two groups, and that distinction seems to be growing less and less over the last 6 - 8 months.

No, I do not have any answers that I am willing to put in print or any other way that can be traced back to me.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

taurusowner

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 08:23:10 PM »
I think one of the bigger problems lies in our own ethics.  And it's not even a problem we can solve, or even want solved.  And that problem is that we ostracize the truly radical "conservatives".  If a racist or neo-Nazi group claims to be conservative, the rest of us real conservative ridicule them and try as hard as we can to disassociate them with our party and movement.  We don't want the KKK or any such groups having anything to do with us, even if those groups try to claim to believe some of the same things, like the desire for small government.  The Left on the other hand, embraces every single radical group they have, no matter who out there they are.  The Left truly is a alliance of special interests.  Eco-terrorists who blow up mills, radical "anti-white power" racist groups like the Black Panthers, ultra leftist and self-proclaimed communists, anti-Israel terrorism supporters, the various violent feminist and atheist movements all really have a place in the Democrat party.  No matter how extreme the view and actions of these various fringe groups are, the Left welcomes them.  And from these groups, they draw their power.  People like BHO, Rham, Pelosi, and the rest don't have to actually take part in the fire-bombings of oil refineries, or the various protests-turned-riots conducted by extremist student groups and the like.  They can say with their words that they deplore the actions of these groups; but so long as the party itself welcomes them, funds them, and doesn't actually oppose them, the Democrat party reaps the benefits.  They have no scruples, and no standards.  They do whatever it takes and support whoever it takes to win.  Our own ethics and honesty about our values, our own rulebook, is used against us.  We refuse to stoop to their level, and unfortunately, their tactics are more effective than ours.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:26:24 PM by Ragnar Danneskjold »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 09:20:21 PM »
The media has everything to do with that.  Talking about Sarah Palin's former church is "raising serious concerns about her past associations and influences."  Talking about Obama's church or his Weather Underground contacts is fear-mongering, smear tactics, and probably racist. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 10:33:08 PM »
They have no scruples, and no standards.  They do whatever it takes and support whoever it takes to win.  Our own ethics and honesty about our values, our own rulebook, is used against us.  We refuse to stoop to their level, and unfortunately, their tactics are more effective than ours.

Yep. It's always easier to destroy than build.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 06:11:51 AM »
Yep. It's always easier to destroy than build.

Remember they need to build institutions - bureaucracies, rules, systems.

Freedom is  self-organizing structure. All we need to do is repeal their structures and very soon the world would come back to normal.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 07:40:30 PM »
but if he has internalized even 1/3 of this poison, he is without scruples.

This is something I'm coming to realize more strongly every day. That he is without scruples means most Americans will despise him. That he is using tactics without a clearly articulated strategy means he is doomed to failure.

TC
TC
RT Refugee