Author Topic: TSA Changes Rules On Airport Searches ... Very Quietly  (Read 3696 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
TSA Changes Rules On Airport Searches ... Very Quietly
« on: November 14, 2009, 11:23:33 AM »
 TSA Changes Rules On Airport Searches ... Very Quietly

Thu, 12 Nov '09
Searches Must Be Related To Airline Safety

TSA has changed two rules about airport searches after an aide to Congressman Ron Paul recorded an incident on his iPhone. The rules changes have prompted the ACLU to drop legal action against TSA on behalf of Steve Bierfeldt.

Bierfeldt was detained in March while attempting to board a plane at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport carrying $4,700 in cash. TSA agents spent half an hour questioning him about why he was carrying so much cash, and Bierfeldt recorded the exchange on his iPhone.

Bierfeldt is the director of development for 'Campaign for Liberty', a group formed by Congressman Ron Paul's after his failed presidential bid. Bierfeldt attempted to send a metal box with the cash and checks through a metal detector at the airport, precipitating the confrontation.

The Washington Times reports that Bierfeldt questioned under what authority TSA detained him for carrying the cash. At one point, a TSA officer asked Bierfeldt "Are you from this planet?" and accused him of acting like a child for questioning his authority.

TSA spokeswoman Lauren Gaches said the new "internal directives" stipulate that TSA may not question why someone is carrying large amounts of cash through the airport.  The new rules say "screening may not be conducted to detect evidence of crimes unrelated to transportation security" and that large amounts of cash do not comprise a threat to an airliner. The second directive says "traveling with large amounts of cash is not illegal." However, TSA said it would not release copies of the directives without a Freedom of Information request.

The ACLU had filed the suit on behalf of Bierfeldt because "We had been hearing of so many reports of TSA screeners engaging in wide-ranging fishing expeditions for illegal activities," Ben Wizner, a staff lawyer for the ACLU, told the paper. The new rules do not, however affect a situation where a TSA agent might come across illegal drugs, for instance, during the course of a routine screening.

Micro Sez: Well. This seems to be a good thing.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: TSA Changes Rules On Airport Searches ... Very Quietly
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 11:30:24 AM »
why do you say very quietly?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 11:39:03 AM »
Because this is the original article's headline.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 11:39:21 AM »
The "directives will only be released under a FOIA request" part?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:40:23 AM »
i shudder to ask where the article comes from.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 03:57:24 PM »
Recording of the interrogation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEJpzVPmih0
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 04:14:43 PM »

Great, maybe they'll change their rules on locks as well. 

If you're traveling, consider buying a cheap Jennings .22 or whatnot.  If you declare a firearm, you can use a real lock as TSA isn't allowed to 'randomly search" a declared firearms baggage.  Downside, your bag is completely searched to ensure the firearms are unloaded and ammo is securely store.  Very handy for keeping the TSA from stealing your stuff.

Otherwise, you must use a TSA approved lock.  Usually it'll have "TSA 004" or whatnot on the side.  Having a TSA approved lock is akin to putting a removable zip tie on your luggage.  It'll probably keep your bag closed, but provides no security.  I bought one of the nicer "temper evident" TSA approved locks and taught a 6 year old to open it reliably and with no evidence of tampering.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 12:49:03 PM »
I had gotten some of those TSA locks a while back.  They CUT them off my bags.   :mad:
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 12:57:25 PM »
Those crazy Paulians will never accomplish anything worthwhile. Wolverines!
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 01:38:50 PM »
I had gotten some of those TSA locks a while back.  They CUT them off my bags.   :mad:

That's because even though a six year old could open virtually any TSA approved lock, not all TSA personnel are issued the keys or decide not to carry them. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 01:56:53 PM »
That's because even though a six year old could open virtually any TSA approved lock, not all TSA personnel are as swift as a six year old

>:D
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 02:08:53 PM »
That's because even though a six year old could open virtually any TSA approved lock, not all TSA personnel are as swift as a six year old. 

Well, I'm working on a guide to open all TSA approved locks.  If I never intended to fly again, I'd make it in coloring book format and sent it to them.  As it stands now, I'm randomly searched nearly every flight.  No doubt after I finish up the guide I'll be put on the terrorist no-fly list. 

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 02:14:31 PM »

Well, I'm working on a guide to open all TSA approved locks.  If I never intended to fly again, I'd make it in coloring book format and sent it to them.  As it stands now, I'm randomly searched nearly every flight.  No doubt after I finish up the guide I'll be put on the terrorist no-fly list. 
Couldn't you, you know, borrow a helicopter from you employer? Just for once. One that is armed. Then you just state that "If those damned goons hadn't put me on the no-fly list, then I wouldn't have to cruise around up here in a heavily armed helicopter gunship". I'm sure they'll remove you ASAP, and put a small note next to your name with "Do not annoy this man" :laugh: =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 02:34:53 PM »
Those crazy Paulians will never accomplish anything worthwhile. Wolverines!

Did you happen to miss the first line in the story?
TSA has changed two rules about airport searches after an aide to Congressman Ron Paul recorded an incident on his iPhone.

Looks to me like they did accomplish something.  You can carry all the money you want now.  But leave your illegal drugs home.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:27:32 PM by Desertdog »

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 02:36:09 PM »
whoosh
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 02:43:46 PM »
Couldn't you, you know, borrow a helicopter from you employer? Just for once. One that is armed. Then you just state that "If those damned goons hadn't put me on the no-fly list, then I wouldn't have to cruise around up here in a heavily armed helicopter gunship". I'm sure they'll remove you ASAP, and put a small note next to your name with "Do not annoy this man" :laugh: =D.

Well, I just emailed the number two guy in our HR department and asked.  He said "Employees are not allowed to use company or customer property, including gunships, for personal entertainment purposes unless properly authorized in advance and in writing."  I asked our business practices officer (my boss incidentally), he agreed with the HR determination.  Additionally, it is his opinion that using company gunships for intimidating government officials is a potential violation of the ethics policy and thus is forbidden. 

=(

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 03:02:03 PM »
You should make a list of things you are not allowed to do at your company.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 03:11:10 PM »
Well, I just emailed the number two guy in our HR department and asked.  He said "Employees are not allowed to use company or customer property, including gunships, for personal entertainment purposes unless properly authorized in advance and in writing."  I asked our business practices officer (my boss incidentally), he agreed with the HR determination.  Additionally, it is his opinion that using company gunships for intimidating government officials is a potential violation of the ethics policy and thus is forbidden. 

=(
Bummer. Could you borrow one for "business" trips then? Or just to make a test run and make sure they work properly? :angel:
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila