Author Topic: Yummy survival  (Read 1387 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Yummy survival
« on: December 26, 2011, 11:16:14 PM »
Last week I ordered some stuff from here: http://www.internet-grocer.net/index.htm

I got some canned butter I've been wanting and a sample case of their canned meat, hamburger, pork, chicken, turkey and beef. The plan is to try one of each, keep the other and order more as I can.

No problems from the vendor as far as shipping. I tested the butter, really nice, less salt than the Land O Lakes I'm used too is the only difference. Last night dad and I were eating blueberry pancakes with this butter and made with half/half Bisquik and corn muffin mix. Way better than standard.

Tonight I lit into the turkey. Cold it has the same canned taste as canned chicken. Texture is of course more over cooked than freshly roasted. Good quality meat, no fat and scraps in there. I made a refrigerator free meal up with some Stove top stuffing and made some gravy. Overall, I've had far worse. It was really quite tasty.

At $10/can this is not everyday food, but I am looking hard for varied food alternatives that do not require a refrigerator or freezer. This was a 28oz can so about $6/lb for meat is not terrible. I figure I could feed a nice meal to 4 people with that and a little meat and gravy is priceless if your other options are rice and more rice with a side of beans.

Other than the canned meat and butter I've been messing with condensed and evaporated milk, I get the evap very passably back to standard milk, the sweetened condensed is a very low cost survival bomb. I'm buying store brand for $1/can and there are good nutrients and 1300 calories in each can.

Dad is sending me a 3 month supply of Mountain House for long term storage portable food. Other things I need to do is stop putting off the pressure canner purchase, buy about 500 more mason jars, a whole bunch more bag for my vac sealer, dehydrator, actually plant a garden next year and quit putting off my beehive plans. Yummy snacks on the hoof are still a few years off for me unless the world looks drastic, then I'll move some in.

Yup, I've gone  [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]  =D

I need some canned bacon. If I can figure out how to do a bacon cheeseburger without refrigeration the world can go screw itself as long as I have enough bourbon.  =D

AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Yummy survival
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 09:34:18 AM »
What is the shelf life of the food in the cans?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:37:29 AM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 09:35:36 AM »
What is the shelf life of the cans?

Who cares about the cans, what about the food stored in the cans?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 09:55:38 AM »

I've tried the ultra pasteurized milk.  Wasn't bad, during hiking.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 12:37:01 PM »
Who cares about the cans, what about the food stored in the cans?

Manufacturer guarantees 3 years, IIRC.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 04:38:03 AM »
Yeah, 3 is the legalese date. I'd give it a go at much longer elapsed time as long as the can looked good.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

redscabbard

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 08:33:57 PM »
Try Craig's list or a free cycle blog for jars and a canner.  I have inherited 2 generations worth of canners and jars.  The local extension office may offer free testing of pressure canners. (they still do in Iowa).