Author Topic: Average Age of a Couch  (Read 716 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Average Age of a Couch
« on: May 01, 2019, 09:23:51 AM »
Am I a furniture outlier, or did they just survey people with lots of disposable income? The average age of a couch is 6 years. I just replaced my old couch after ~25 years. In fact I didn't really replace it, I put it in my bonus room and got a new couch for the living room. While 25 years might be overly long, 6 years seems abnormally short to me for an average. In fact I just switched from fabric to leather on the couch, and expect it to take nearly 6 years to break it in. :)

What does the average couch cost? Like a grand? That seems like a large expense every 6 years for something like furniture. The other one that got me was bed frames every 9 years. Probably a guy thing, but while I'll buy a new mattress every 5-10 years, a bedframe is something I expect to last a lifetime unless I change my bed size.

“A high-quality piece of furniture transcends function and becomes an essential part of your life for years of lasting memories," the Rove spokesperson added.

It can't be that essential if you're dumping it every 6 years.  :laugh:

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/average-american-couch-age-study-finds
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Average Age of a Couch
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 09:47:31 AM »
A sub $1k davenport is not built as well as it used to be. I have a Lazy Boy  reclining davenport going on 8 years old and structurally it is failing apart. I've replaced the foot rests with plywood because the particle board broke in half. Fabric is in excellent condition btw.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 09:50:47 AM »
I would agree that many are not built well.  My couch is a hand-me-down from my brother.  His wife wanted a new one.  The color and size fit perfectly in my house and it is in good shape.  Saved me some money since I had been considering buying one. 

As a kid, we had a couch with a fold out mattress.  That lasted quite a few years. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 09:55:14 AM »
Most are not well built anymore.  And a lot of furniture stores advertise super cheap couches, which probably barely survive 6 years.
Our pretty decent set from Ashley with recliners at both ends is getting pretty beat up.  It's about 5 years old but has been moved twice.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »
Most are not well built anymore.  And a lot of furniture stores advertise super cheap couches, which probably barely survive 6 years.
Our pretty decent set from Ashley with recliners at both ends is getting pretty beat up.  It's about 5 years old but has been moved twice.

Yeah, I might be an outlier then. The 25 year old couch was purchased at a local furniture store at the time that was well known for their quality. It cost me more than average, but to this day, even the cushions are still strong and in excellent shape. I would guess the frame itself will last another 25 years. I did the same with the new couch, taking the local furniture company's recommendation on quality.

I would guess a lot of the furniture on Amazon and wherever may actually be the opposite of what I've experienced: as Charby mentioned, with the frame going before the upholstery.

Though I'm not sure if the article took that into account, or was just about people getting tired of their furniture and wanting new regardless of condition.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 10:02:43 AM »
A bed frame has a life span?  A few months after we got the fancy memory foam/latex mattress from Costco, we got the adjustable bed frame to go with.  I suppose the electronics/motors may have a life span, but I would think the structure would soldier on regardless.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 10:06:10 AM »
A bed frame has a life span?  A few months after we got the fancy memory foam/latex mattress from Costco, we got the adjustable bed frame to go with.  I suppose the electronics/motors may have a life span, but I would think the structure would soldier on regardless.

When I switched to memory foam,  I dumped the box spring and old frame and just got one of those $100 steel "smartbases" that give you around 15" of under bed storage. Even being made in China, I can't see it wearing out in the next 50 years.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 10:22:07 AM »
I purposely bought disposable couches last time, because my cats are hard on them.  Of the four reclining mechanisims, one has failed (electric, I have done zero trouble-shooting)  The leather in a couple places is showing claw damage, and some of the foam is breaking down a little.  They are just under 2 years old, and should make 6 years.

On the other hand I got two reclining love seats and a large sectional, all leather, for $1300. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 10:40:42 AM »
Hell, I bought Mtnbkr's futon couch a few years ago when they upgraded. Nice piece of kit. No idea how long they had it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 11:01:46 AM »
The couches that I recently got rid of were at least 20 years old, the replacement couches are probably at least twice as old (though have been reupholstered)- my wife is a mid-century modern fanatic.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 11:15:32 AM »
The average life of a couch in Lexington Ky is usually from one UK basketball season to another
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 11:24:17 AM »
Just replaced my old one with one of these
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mission-Oak-Faux-Leather-Sofa-Dark-Brown/11011752

Don't laugh, it may be cheap but it's surprisingly sturdy and I like the simple design, I like simple to the point furniture. I don't like those $1k+ super puffy couches that everyone seems to want nowadays.
At first they accidentally shipped me the loveseat version and then kept messing up the reorder and kept knocking money off to the point the loveseat cost me $30 which means I paid about $440 for both the sofa and loveseat.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 01:51:26 PM »
The lifespan of a proper bed frame should be measured in generations. The solid walnut set in our guest room was bought by my aunt in 1948.
My wife seems to go through couches fairly frequently though. Once the unsupervised grandkids and dogs have had their way with them for a couple years she goes and drags in something else.
I did put my foot down the last time. I told her if she drug in another hide-a-bed she would be sleeping there as long as it was in the house.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 09:03:46 PM »
I have a sleeper sofa that's more than 30 years old -- still looks brand new.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 09:06:07 PM »
I have a sleeper sofa that's more than 30 years old -- still looks brand new.

They don't make them like they used to.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?