Author Topic: Lucifer's Hammer  (Read 3472 times)

TarpleyG

• friend
Lucifer's Hammer
« on: December 04, 2005, 11:04:05 AM »
Just finished Lucifer's Hammer.  Great read and highly recommended to any and all independent-minded folks concerned about surviving any sort of catastrophy.  It was written in the late seventies so you'll have to get over references to older technology.

Greg

mtnbkr

• friend
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 11:52:36 AM »
I read that book back in high school (15 years ago!).  It was so good I reread it again a few years later.  It's one book I need to add to my library.  It and The Stand are among my favorite books.

Chris

Parker Dean

• friend
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 03:38:01 PM »
Yep, a definite recommended read.

I haven't read it in years myself, and I think I loaned out my copy which hasn't made it's way back yet.

telewinz

• friend
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 03:40:46 PM »
Alas Babylon! by Pat Frank   along the same vein but deals with post atomic attack and survivors in Florida.  I've read it 25 times in the last 42 years.
Career Corrections

Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 04:16:29 PM »
One of my favorites that I have to keep buying over again. Its a viscious cycle with good books. You loan them out cause you want people to read them, but they never want to give it back.

brimic

• friends
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 05:31:17 PM »
Alas Babylon! by Pat Frank   along the same vein but deals with post atomic attack and survivors in Florida.  I've read it 25 times in the last 42 years.
I didn't know of anyone who ever read that book. It was required reading in my gradeschool. If I had attended a public grade school, I doubt that I would have ever heard of the book.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

SkunkApe

• friend
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 09:46:01 PM »
Quote from: brimic
I didn't know of anyone who ever read that book. It was required reading in my gradeschool. If I had attended a public grade school, I doubt that I would have ever heard of the book.
I just finished it a few weeks ago, and passed it to my dad.  Good read.

spinr

Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 04:09:04 PM »
Small world I guess...

I just started Lucifer's Hammer last week, about halfway through now.  I'm really enjoying it so far.

I've got a copy of The Rift and Alas, Babylon waiting on me when I finish LH.  

Actually, I just ordered Alas, Babylon today.  Haven't been able to find a copy until now.  Seems they ran a new printing back around July and they're just now hitting stores.  I looked for it a couple of weeks ago without success and then just happened to find it today, back in stock at several sites.

cool

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 01:13:24 AM »
Read Alas, Babylon last week & am on page 472 of Lucifer's Hammer right now. Both books have made me strangely optimistic.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 07:23:23 AM »
That's encouraging to hear, ladysmith. I haven't read any of the above, but they are on my winter reading list. I was trying to decide what other books to read to balance out reading these with since they had seemed like they might be a bit heavy or depressing.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 11:33:27 AM »
I read this book in 7th grade as part of an assignment in English class...at public school.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

cfabe

• friend
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 01:13:22 PM »
Quote from: SteveS
I read this book in 7th grade as part of an assignment in English class...at public school.
I did as well, though I think it was 8th grade. And I'm tickled pink to hear it mentioned because I recall absolutely loving reading it but I couldn't for the life of me ever remember the name. I will have to see if I can find it around here someplace.

Parker Dean

• friend
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 01:59:25 PM »
Quote from: LadySmith
Read Alas, Babylon last week & am on page 472 of Lucifer's Hammer right now. Both books have made me strangely optimistic.
I haven't read Alas, Babylon, but Lucifer's Hammer is essentially optimistic in that even though one of the worst possible TEOTWAWKI scenarios occurred, life still went on with all the hopes and dreams for the future that makes life worth living.

brimic

• friends
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 03:41:10 PM »
Well ok then I misjudged the public schools then Wink
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 03:42:10 PM »
I like Lucifer's Hammer a lot better than Alas, Babylon.

If you like those, you might like the New Madrid Fault.

Greg Levy

Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 07:10:05 PM »
Alas, Babylon was good...but not as good as Lucifers Hammer.

spin180...The Rift, while a decent read, is not in the same class as Lucifers Hammer.  What it is good for is seeing how fast things can break down locally, and the kind of filth that will move in to the vacuum left by a lack of authority.

On the topic of books, DO NOT read 'On the Beach' by Nevil Shute if you are feeling the least bit depressed.  Good story, but the last couple of chapters, I could hardly read through the tears in my eyes.  My wife took it away and won't give it back to me.  

greg

Art Eatman

• friend
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 04:33:38 AM »
For you Hammerers:  http://www.guardian.co.uk/space/article/0%2C14493%2C1660485%2C00.html

The nice thing about being an Old Fart is that I read "Alas Babylon" when it first came out.  I was living in Florida at the time.

I don't think it's important whether Lucifer's Hammer is a "better" book than Alas Babylon.  The more important factor is whether the behavior of the people is credible in the author's scenario--which itself should be credible.  Both books succeed in that credibility, IMO.  

Same for "The Rift".  As for the comment earlier about breakdown of society, all ya gotta do is think "Katrina".

I've always enjoyed these types of "What if?" books.  I don't particularly take them to heart as high probablility of what's likely to happen--be it nukewar or earthquake or asteroid--so much as what COULD happen if some such event occurs.  It's the reactions of people that're important.  If such books give you good ideas as to probable behaviors, you can set up your own scenarios for coping with the likely problems.

And a well-written book is always a Good Thing.

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 07:08:51 AM »
LH is one of my favorite books.  I reread it -- for probably the third time -- a month or two ago.  A,B is good, too.

Birddog

Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2005, 02:50:21 AM »
Due to many mentions on THR, I asked for Lucifer's Hammer for Christmas....I'm only a few pages in and the writing is surprisingly gripping.  Looking forward to getting to the good stuff.

bermbuster

• friend
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 05:43:22 AM »
I read Alas Babylon in the 7th or 8th grade, forgot which.  I attended public schools in Florida.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2005, 06:05:24 AM »
In the same vein is another science-fiction classic, called 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' by Walter Miller.  Written in 1959, it is considered one of the great literary science-fiction works.  Back in the early days of the Cold War, a post-atomic holocaust society was a common theme.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2005, 04:00:51 PM »
I read Lucifer's Hammer several years ago.

For the next week I spent alot of time looking at the night sky.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

grislyatoms

• friends
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2005, 04:15:18 AM »
"Well, I think I can make thermite and mustard gas...."

My favorite line from the book
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 04:25:10 AM »
Never cared much for Lucifer's Hammer last time I tried to read it. Maybe I'll try again.

The Mote in God's Eye, while a different genre, but by the same authors, is fantastic.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2006, 05:39:49 AM »
You'll also want to look for "Earth Abides" by George R. Stewart

Note also "On the Beach" and (sort of on-topic) "The White Plague"

Peet