Author Topic: Motorcycles - Sound Systems  (Read 2207 times)

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Motorcycles - Sound Systems
« on: December 26, 2005, 11:42:14 AM »
After 30 years of riding I've finally decided I want to hear more than the sound of the wind and the deep throaty rumble of the engine. I want to listen to music.

I figured an MP3 player would work. NOT! Even under helmet, with face shield down the background noise level  at anything over about 40 mph is too high and the music is there but not really enjoyable.

Is there a solution to this problem?

If so - please share.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 02:23:15 PM »
My Shovelhead Harley has straight pipes, so I gave up a long time ago on listening to any music or radio while riding.

However, USAF aircrews, including myself, have recently been issued the Bose noise-cancelling headsets.  While I despise Bose speakers and Wave Radios, the Bose noise-cancelling headsets actually are good on performance, and that's from the perspective of having 4 or 8 Pratt & Whitney TF-33 turbofans on a jet screaming into your ears.  

Perhaps they make a model that works on in-helmet motorcycle radios, that also allow ambient sound like sirens, horns, and so forth to pass through the microphone/phase shifter/headphones?  (The headsets cancel noise by sampling and introducing ambient noise 180-degrees out of phase, causing destructive interference, ie. quiet)

Bose sells something similar for folks flying on airlines, so you can listen to MP3 or CD music while shutting out the ambient aircraft noise.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 08:06:51 PM »
I have seen some custome fitted headphones that are form fitted to one's ear. They are essentially an earplug combined with a headphone speaker. The only examples I have seen were done by a vender (cant remember the name) at bikes shows. That seemed like a neat idea. You might also consider a better set of noise-canceling earbuds, or one of those systems designed specifically for placement in motorcycle helmets (chatterbox for example). I know its do-able, as half the sport-touring community uses some kind of in-helmet music or communication system.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 09:29:00 PM »
In ear headphones should do the trick, but will attenuate desireable sounds. I would give up on it myself. I rarely listen to music in my truck and I have a sound system worth several thousand dollars. But I'm a total audio snob.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Skeptic

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 02:11:44 PM »
Werewolf,
I have an Electra Glide Classic (2003) and the music system is built in.  I have no problem hearing music even with a full face helmet on during winter.  Get to  your local  HD dealer and see what they can do for you.......
Enjoy the ride and be safe.

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 04:42:59 PM »
I'll give that a look...
Thanks Skeptic Smiley

Fight Me Online

...has left the building.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 05:33:20 AM »
I listen to MP3s via my Sony PSP when riding. I use earbuds under my closed face helmet. The arrangement works out just fine for me.

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 05:47:35 AM »
That's what I tried Daniel....
Too noisey for me but then I don't wear a full face helmet - just the standard style with a face shield. Maybe that's part of the problem.

Fight Me Online

saxman357

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 08:38:23 AM »
Quote from: Werewolf
Too noisey for me but then I don't wear a full face helmet - just the standard style with a face shield. Maybe that's part of the problem.
That's almost certainly part of the problem.  More significantly, what type of earbuds are you using?  "Standard" I-pod style ones I wouldn't expect to hear anything from at any real speed.  I've had good luck with these myself (using a flip-up style helmet, so the wind noise is somewhere in between a 3/4 and a full-face).

...has left the building.

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 09:33:17 AM »
Quote from: Werewolf
That probably has something to do with it; the wind is probably riding right up into the helmet from under your chin. I use a full-face and I'd imagine that is the only difference in wind flow.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 09:33:42 AM »
Technically, ER-6s are not 'earbuds' but In Ear Monitors. IEMs actually go in the ear canal a la earplugs, whereas earbuds (like most stock mp3 players come with) just settle in the outer ear and are usually not sound isolating at all.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 10:54:13 AM »
Thanks for the link to ER-6's. They look good and it seems would solve my problem BUT - the desire to listen to music while riding isn't a $139 dollar desire - yet. It might come to that but then my wife doesn't call me CAM (cheap ass Michael) for nothing. Cheesy

Thanks for all the help so far guys. It is appreciated...

Fight Me Online

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 10:56:26 AM »
How much trouble do you guys run into as far as hearing what's going on around you (sirens, etc)?  I still consider myself a new rider, so there's no way I'm adding music to the mix anytime soon, but I do find that with the full face helmet emergency vehicles seem to sneak up on me, and when I do hear the siren, it's a challenge to quickly figure out where the heck it is coming from while figuring out how the "cages" are going to react to it.  

Is this just something I'll get better at as I gain experience?
Experiment with a chemist!

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 03:05:54 PM »
Mirrors - among other things - are your friend!

I adjust the right mirror to give me a full up 180 view behind me. This unfortunately has a blind spot to the right rear.

I adjust the left mirror to pick up traffic coming up on me in the left lane that the right hand mirror eventually loses.

With this setup my only blind spot is just behind and to my right.

It has been my experience over 30 years that sight is your main situational awareness tool - 90% - with sound only coming into play when vehicles get within 10 to 20 yards or so. Keep your eyes open, use your mirrors. Changing lanes occasionally can help with situational awareness too.

On a MC SITUATIONAL AWARENESS is critical. When riding you are a target and one that is practically invisible to those in cars (though I've noticed that is becoming less so recently - why? Who knows). Ride like you're invisible or like you've got a target on your back and you'll do fine.

SCARED YET? Good. It gets better as you gain experience but DO NOT EVER LET YOUR GUARD DOWN! You can get away with that in a car most of the time but on an MC it's a quick trip to the hospital if you're lucky and a trip to a 6' by 6' by 3' hole if you're not.

Fight Me Online

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 06:23:17 PM »
Dr - Maybe the problem is actually too much noise.

I wear earplugs under my FF helmet to block the wind noise.  I prefer to not listen to music, but the wind gets to be too much on long rides.

I can hear everything, including sirens, just fine.

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2005, 08:04:27 PM »
Quote from: DrAmazon
How much trouble do you guys run into as far as hearing what's going on around you (sirens, etc)?  I still consider myself a new rider, so there's no way I'm adding music to the mix anytime soon, but I do find that with the full face helmet emergency vehicles seem to sneak up on me, and when I do hear the siren, it's a challenge to quickly figure out where the heck it is coming from while figuring out how the "cages" are going to react to it.  

I cant hear all that much anyways when I'm riding. With the wind noise and the bike itself there isnt much left over. I can actually hear more with earplugs than without as they tend to filter out the really loud sounds but leave the others more audible. It can be disorienting at first, but if you try it you can actually hear a heck of a lot more from the bike itself as well (induction, transmission, etc rather than just valvetrain and exhaust).

Sirens are a problem no matter what. The best way is just to keep your eyes out. Well, you could also just go fast enough they never catch up with you anyways, just make sure it isnt you that they are chasing Wink Seriously though, emergency vehicles can sneak up on you, the same way as everything else on the road. The only thing you can do is keep your situational awareness up. Riding in the city is pretty much a condition orange affair at all times.

The IEMs look like a pretty good solution to having on-board music. I too am a cheap bastard and will not likely spend that much on sound, but its nice to know that there is an easy option.

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 06:28:06 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'm definitely developing great situational awareness, and it translates to when I'm driving the car too.  I usually ride wearing a neon yellow road workers vest.  It's amazing how many times you can see the people in cars actually react to that flash of yellow.  

I realized this weekend that some of that "sneaking up" that I feel comes from sitting so low in traffic on the bike.  My car is an evil SUV, and although I knew that I liked the higher vantage point of the SUV, it had never really registered that I loose that vantage point on the bike.  

I'll definitely try the earplugs.  I ride a BMW, which is quieter than many, but since I have a single cylinder engine, it's noisy in a different way.
Experiment with a chemist!