Author Topic: Food, family, and firearms - part two  (Read 1752 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Food, family, and firearms - part two
« on: December 31, 2005, 09:56:34 AM »
Another shot from our family Christmas shoot. My nephew, Trevor.

It's only an SP101, but in the hands of an eight year old, it looks like a monster! We had it stoked with some .38 wadcutters to keep the recoil and muzzle blast down, but he kept begging to shoot some .357's. We finally relented. His comment was, "That kicks real hard daddy. Let me do it again!"  The little toot ended up burning through and entire box of 125 gr PMC .357 mags and loving it.

Brad

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Old Dog

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 05:31:08 PM »
That's what we like to see, creating a new generation of wheelgunners.
-- Will

The Viking

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 10:16:41 AM »
No safety glasses? Or is that only when shooting semi-automatic weapons?

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 10:31:46 AM »
Hrm.

Yeah, he should have eye protection.

That said: a Ruger wheelgun is probably the safest sort of gun to shoot without eye protection.  Even in a catastrophic failure (double-charge load or something blowing the cylinder up) they don't tend to break the topstrap.  It'll bulge a lot before it breaks - Ruger metallurgy is quite good.  The cylinder will blow bits sideways of course so everybody ELSE should have eye protection (sigh).

When an S&W wheelgun cuts loose, the topstrap often WILL break, throwing the rear sight anywhere from straight up to straight back.  (Dunno about the new 500 or similar X-Frame, but the K/L/Ns can blow the topstrap if the cylinder cuts loose.)

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 09:50:21 AM »
He had some on at first, but they slipped off and he stepped on 'em. Finishing the day without them was a calculated risk.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 09:59:19 AM »
The last time I took the calculated risk, I had a .22lr round fail in my rifle.  The case blew out at the rim of the round.  Nothing happened to my eyes, got a little burnt powder on my hands, but I always have two pair of safety glasses in the bag now.

caseydog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 12:28:30 PM »
Quote from: JimMarch
Hrm.

That said: a Ruger wheelgun is probably the safest sort of gun to shoot without eye protection.  Even in a catastrophic failure (double-charge load or something blowing the cylinder up) they don't tend to break the topstrap.  It'll bulge a lot before it breaks - Ruger metallurgy is quite good.  The cylinder will blow bits sideways of course so everybody ELSE should have eye protection (sigh).

When an S&W wheelgun cuts loose, the topstrap often WILL break, throwing the rear sight anywhere from straight up to straight back.  (Dunno about the new 500 or similar X-Frame, but the K/L/Ns can blow the topstrap if the cylinder cuts loose.)

A lowly J frame with a badly overcharged .357 round, no blown top strap ??
Jim , your anti S&W bias gets tiresome at times, last time we crossed paths it was the sideplate that was going to launch. If you prefer Rugers thats fine , but if the gun is truly good it doesn't have to throw half true jabs at the others to exalt itself. Where does the rear sight go from the Ruger by the way? Does the gun devour it to protect the user?

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 12:32:02 PM »
Caseydog, this thread will not become a throw-down session. My thread or not, another post like the last one and I'll delete this thread entirely.

Brad
-HankB

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 03:50:40 PM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
I'll delete this thread entirely.
You can do that?!?!

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 03:53:53 PM »
Am I the only one who's never shot a firearm WITH eye protection?
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 04:04:03 PM »
I thought a firearm WAS protection for the "I"'s
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 08:59:57 AM »
Quote from: grampster
I thought a firearm WAS protection for the "I"'s
Groan....

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 12:49:02 PM »
Looks like he had a good time.  Your risk assessment was noted and sometimes the reward out weighs the risk.  Murphy usually strikes but in this case all went well.

Why is it that the younger crowd has a tendency to lean back instead of forward?  I would think its to hold up the weight difference.  My daughter (16 at the time) started leaning back and I quickly corrected her before she got into that habit.