Author Topic: Western society, demographics, and the future  (Read 1116 times)

Preacherman

Western society, demographics, and the future
« on: January 02, 2006, 07:16:42 AM »
I've just posted what I think is perhaps Mark Steyn's best-ever article, over at THR.  Please read it at

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=174364

I think this article should be required reading for everyone concerned about the current global situation.  It's frightening, but all too real.  Very, very worthwhile reading.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 07:46:40 AM »
Wow. Good read. He GETS it.

Now, if everyone else will....

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

matis

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 12:29:56 PM »
Quote from: Preacherman
I've just posted what I think is perhaps Mark Steyn's best-ever article, over at THR.  Please read it at

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=174364

I think this article should be required reading for everyone concerned about the current global situation.  It's frightening, but all too real.  Very, very worthwhile reading.
Absolutely best ever, Preacherman.  But please tell me how we can require this be read.  

Mark Steyn is not likely to make the prime-time -- he's prone to heinous insensitivity: he tells the unvarnished truth -- brilliantly.

Thanks for posting this.

matis

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 02:22:45 PM »
Part of the problem that Mr. Steyn outlines very well is the fact that the "Free Press" is no longer free in the sense that opinions such as his would get any wider dissemination by the daily media.
Think of the service the media would be giving to the concept of thoughtful decision making if he were bandied about for a week or so on all the networks.  But then we would be exposing the intolerence of the tolerent towards the intolerent, wouldn't we?  Can't have that, can we?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 09:11:11 AM »
"Part of the problem that Mr. Steyn outlines very well is the fact that the "Free Press" is no longer free in the sense that opinions such as his would get any wider dissemination by the daily media.
Think of the service the media would be giving to the concept of thoughtful decision making if he were bandied about for a week or so on all the networks.  But then we would be exposing the intolerence of the tolerent towards the intolerent, wouldn't we?  Can't have that, can we?"

And that's been different at any time in the history of the Republic.... How?

Oh, silly me. It's not.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 09:30:51 AM »
Mike,

My point, not well presented evidently, was that in our age of communication it seems to be relatively selective when it comes to the old standbyes.  Has PC infected our general distribution media?  I say yes.   Certainy there are myriads of alternate information disseminating bodies, including the internet.  Even in colonial days, I'm sure there was the standard newspaper or handbill and there were the mustangs handing out their stuff on corners.

What I was really trying to say is that our multicultural/PC environment has emasculated a lot of the disseminators of information that reach the masses regularly on a daily basis.  I think it's getting better because the internet, perhaps Fox News to some degree, talk radio and others are gaining a wider audience.

Many or our TV networks and major print media are not presenting both sides of any argument unless it is to ridicule the opposing viewpoint.  I see that happening daily on the tube and in print media.  You don't?

When was the last time you saw an encouraging or thought provoking piece regarding how firearms stultify crime; or how shooting sports are fun; etc in other places than gun rags?  John Stossel is the only voice on the the networks and I'm surprised every time I see him do a piece.

Why do you suppose we don't see the networks or the major print media devoting regular time or space to reasonable debate about a wide variety of, gasp, un PC subjects?

You paint a wide swath with your brush, my friend, by making such a generalized criticism.  I, at the same time, am guilty of the same thing from time to time.

My first impression of  your comment was..."No *expletive deleted*it, Mike".
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw