Author Topic: Pray for virginia  (Read 7105 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Pray for virginia
« on: November 05, 2013, 08:01:01 PM »
So far better than i thought at polls but its early yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Pray for virginia
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 08:18:11 PM »
The good news: there is a Santa Claus.

The bad news: he's a Democratic politician, coming to tax your stocking.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:23:47 PM »
The post kills me

They are calling a northam win with.4 separating him from jackson

Cucinelli is up by 7 and its still up in the air

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 10:10:53 PM »
Right now Fox News is projecting a win by Terry "Global Crossing" McAuliffe as the winner. =(
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 10:51:29 PM »
If you combine the republican and 3rd party vote, it's a reported 53%.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 11:02:33 PM »
Here comes the shitstorm
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 11:14:16 PM »
Ah, politics becomes a lot more fun once you've accepted that the country is irreversibly going to crash, done what's in your power to prepare you and yours, and decided what you will and will not do.

Then it's no stress.  Kick back, pop a beer, watch the fireworks.  Burn baby, burn!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 11:17:35 PM »
Somehow, this no longer works.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 11:40:49 PM »
Enough to make a fellow miss Wilder.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 06:04:00 AM »
Enough to make a fellow miss Wilder.

LOLNOPE.

Here's your morning's depression. Virginia will be fine. We have a one term limit, a legislature that will stymie a lot of crap, a rather hostile (and organized)gun advocacy, and a constitutionally mandated balanced budget. All of which would be nice at the federal level BTW. Here's me being Debby Downer. Terry McEmptysuit will use his inability to totally F up the Old Dominion as a springboard to go presidential. That's my bold prediction, he will be the leading candidate not named Hillary. Good luck 'Murica, and as a Virginian, I'm sorry.

Further proofs. We survived Kaine, Wilder, Allen and a bevy of other morons. We'll be fine.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 06:22:37 AM »
..... We'll be fine.

As bad as it seems, there is a huge silver lining.  The Governor-elect is second only to POTUS in championing ACA as the savior of modern civilization.  That being said, and with three full years before MaAuliffe has to convince the DNC to run him instead of Hillary, we will see infighting not exhibited since the days of Al Capone's Southside Chicago.

The sad news is that the RNC is busy trying to find somebody worse than either of those two to run on a platform of "Screw 'Murica just a bit slower than the other guys".

On the local level we can look forward to pretty much spending our time opposing gun control measures that have little chance of passing anyhow, and looking at roads and schools crumbling in spite of all the additional tax money that is going to be thrown at them.  Medicaid will not be expanded (see silver lining above), nor will the outpatient MH system.

But as has been suggested, we will survive.   [popcorn]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 06:42:46 AM »
If you combine the republican and 3rd party vote, it's a reported 53%.
The one person I knew who voted for Savvis would NOT have voted R, so it wasn't all taken from Cuccinelli.

LOLNOPE.

Here's your morning's depression. Virginia will be fine. We have a one term limit, a legislature that will stymie a lot of crap, a rather hostile (and organized)gun advocacy, and a constitutionally mandated balanced budget. All of which would be nice at the federal level BTW.
This.  It sucks that we have a D as gov, but we've had several in the last few years and things haven't collapsed.  We have a system in place that mitigates such foolishness.

Chris

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 06:48:15 AM »
The one person I knew who voted for Savvis would NOT have voted R, so it wasn't all taken from Cuccinelli.

No

Don't you see?

It's the libertarians fault for voting their conscience

We can't possibly believe that the GOP ran a candidate that failed to connect with libertarians?

Don't you know it's the voters' job to hold their noses and vote for whoever we put in front of them???

In all seriousness , the Libertarian blame going around the internet is weak and cowardly.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

• friends
Re: Re: Pray for virginia
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 07:37:40 AM »
wouldn't a candidate have to have multiple personalities to hook libertarians?

damn phone

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 07:46:36 AM »
It still don't bode well for how Virginia votes in the next few elections.

Two questions:

Someone (not here) suggested that the Libertarian candidate was not a Libertarian at all, but was put up to running as a spoiler by "Obama bundlers." Any truth to this?

How is this Cuccinelli fella? RINO? Tea Partyist? In between?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friends
Re: Re: Pray for virginia
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 07:59:14 AM »
not true. sarvis was real and a decent cansidate. he was however helped financially by a dem. it probably helped Sarvis but how much we will never know

damn phon

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 08:06:01 AM »
It still don't bode well for how Virginia votes in the next few elections.

Two questions:

Someone (not here) suggested that the Libertarian candidate was not a Libertarian at all, but was put up to running as a spoiler by "Obama bundlers." Any truth to this?

How is this Cuccinelli fella? RINO? Tea Partyist? In between?

One of the few politicians I have actually met AND was impressed by. He was a Tea Party type candidate and, additionally, a social conservative.

For that reason, the Republican establishment kneecapped him. Can't have the Tea Party taking over control of the party. They wanted RINO Bill Bolling.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

erictank

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 08:44:48 AM »
This.  It sucks that we have a D as gov, but we've had several in the last few years and things haven't collapsed.  We have a system in place that mitigates such foolishness.

Chris

Yup. There was ZERO chance I was ever going to vote for McAuliffe *OR* Cuccinelli, so my vote for Sarvis can't be said to have cost anyone anything, even setting aside the notion that neither of those two (nor anyone else) has any inherent right to my vote in the first place.

Cuccinelli lost this all on his own. Only thing I truly regret is that Sarvis did not cross the 10% threshold, dammit, so the Libertarians get to have to fight for ballot access again next time round.

Fistful - my understanding is that, if you trace it back, a lot of funding (relatively speaking - we're talking a tiny fraction of the amounts spent by and on his opponents) was thrown Sarvis' way by a Democrat "bundler", can't remember the guy's name offhand, but I did read that he was a big Democrat supporter in PE2012. There is a supposition that this was done to make Sarvis a spoiler for Cuccinelli, and thus guarantee a McAuliffe win. Since both Cuccinelli's and McAuliffe's commercial ads and stated positions made me want to vomit for one reason or another and Sarvis still didn't have money to put much of anything on the air (he had to spend too much of what little he had on ballot access efforts and actual personal campaigning, as is typical for LP and other third-party types), I'm not sure that there was any REAL effect - YMMV, I suppose. Other allegations were cast to the effect that Sarvis wasn't a "real" libertarian at all, based on statements he made. I find this ironic, as many of those claiming that libertarians cannot and should not win elections do so based on the notion that we're TOO ideologically-strict - damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess. Me, I saw him as a better choice than the candidates from Statist Party (R) or Statist Party (D), and had no problem filling in the little Scantron bubble by his name regardless of his libertarian purity (or lack thereof). And he got about six and a half percent <sigh>. Really wanted to see him clear the 10% mark.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 08:50:40 AM »
The fact Sarvis was tied to an Obama PAC bundler is what leaves me more concerned.

I'm still going to beat a dead horse and say that Libertarians getting a handful of seats in various statehouses, just enough to prevent either side from having a majority will go a much longer way, and be much more achievable in the short and long term for the  Libertarian Party.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 08:54:49 AM »
I wasn't following the election closely. The gist I got was Cuccinelli dislikes women and gays, McAuliff was a Dem fundraiser guy with deep pockets that loves Big Government and Crony Capitalism. Don't know much about Sarvis.

So, how accurate is that assessment?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 09:29:58 AM »
The fact Sarvis was tied to an Obama PAC bundler is what leaves me more concerned.

I'm still going to beat a dead horse and say that Libertarians getting a handful of seats in various statehouses, just enough to prevent either side from having a majority will go a much longer way, and be much more achievable in the short and long term for the  Libertarian Party.

How do you stop someone from (through a PAC or something else) donating money to another person you suspect will take votes from your primary opponent? How do you say, "This donation is legitimate, but that one is not."?

According to the PJ Tatler, "Liemandt and his wife Andra have also been contributors to the Libertarian National Committee, but their largess has been mostly focused on the Democratic Party." So they apparently are (at least possibly) left-libertarians, which is in fact "a thing". According to VPAP (the Virginia Public Access Project), the Libertarian Booster PAC did indeed contribute more than nearly anyone else to Sarvis' campaign - a grand total of $11,454, or slightly more than half of what Mr. Sarvis himself put into his own campaign (he put in $20,556 himself, in money and in-kind donations, according to VPAP). I recognize a lot of the names on that donor list, actually - many of them are people you see active in LP and libertarian politics and activism. So, the PAC's donation? I'll be frank, to me it's a non-starter. The funder in question actually HAS been noted to donate to libertarian causes, and the total amount was far less than Sarvis put in himself (which was itself a tiny fraction of what either of his opponents spent). Sarvis' total fundraising of $93K was one half of one percent of what Cuccinelli got (better than $16M), and less that that compared to McAuliffe (who ended up getting nearly 2/3 more than Cuccinelli at over $26M). The R and D campaigns each have LEFT ON HAND from their campaigns better than 15 times what Sarvis had IN TOTAL for his (he spent about 80% of his own total campaign contributions on the campaign, apparently). According to tiki-Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_gubernatorial_election,_2013), "Terry McAuliffe's top five donors are from outside Virginia.[90] Three of Ken Cucinelli's top five donors are from out-of-state.[91]", so the "he didn't even live in VA!" cries are nonsense as well, and the last-minute Purple PAC (supporters of the LP) ad buy for Sarvis, at ~$300K, amounted to about a seventh of pro-Cuccinelli/ anti-McAuliffe ads by combined right-wing PACs (~$2M) and a fourteenth or so of the amount spent by left-wing PACs on pro-McAuliffe/anti-Cuccinelli ads.

People are whining about a documented left/libertarian donor who sent Sarvis's campaign $11K? Puh-LEASE ;/. TOTAL non-issue.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 09:31:41 AM »
I wasn't following the election closely. The gist I got was Cuccinelli dislikes women and gays, McAuliff was a Dem fundraiser guy with deep pockets that loves Big Government and Crony Capitalism. Don't know much about Sarvis.

So, how accurate is that assessment?

Well, you definitely got the Democrat playbook against <fill in the blank> conservative opponent.

You also didn't get enough about McAuliff. He is, additionally, completely unprepared and unqualified for any administrative position, let alone chief executive of a state.

We will suffer for 4 years. (Hopefully the massive supermajority in the House of Delegates will mitigate that, though.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 09:37:55 AM »
Worrying about a left-leaning donor to Sarvis allows them to blame the libertarians, and the Democrats for this loss

Rather than blame the candidate who could not attract the 6% or so of votes that sarvis got

I heard someone today talking about how "we " need to stop splitting our votes, and that we need to unite

She did not seem to understand that the Libertarian party is a separate party. It's inconceivable to some of these people that Libertarians don't share some of the views that the Republicans have
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re:
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
Worrying about a left-leaning donor to Sarvis allows them to blame the libertarians, and the Democrats for this loss

Rather than blame the candidate who could not attract the 6% or so of votes that sarvis got

I heard someone today talking about how "we " need to stop splitting our votes, and that we need to unite

She did not seem to understand that the Libertarian party is a separate party. It's inconceivable to some of these people that Libertarians don't share some of the views that the Republicans have

GOP needs to stop even trying to court the L vote.  Libertarians tend to stay in the voting cycle for 1-2 elections, then just bow out and stop voting.  Partly from frustration, and partly from a stance similar to my own (revoke consent of mob rule).  The way the country is going, I expect more and more libertarians to abandon conventional politics and embrace independent community building.  This place is gonna implode.  The system is going to protect the well-connected.  The system is going to steal from the productive to satiate the mob for as long as it can. 

Libertarians make up neither of those groups (well-connected or the mob).  As such, there's no profit in associating with the system.

Logical self interest dictates they stand apart from the rest of the system while the toilet flushes and the reservoir refills.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »

I don't know whether the Libertarian candidate swayed the election. I don't blame the Libertarians for acting as Libertarians do.

I blame the state Republican Party and the RNC for spending 1/3 of what they did to get McDonnell elected in 2009. It's hard to win when you are outspent over 2 to 1 AND your "allies" are absent while the Democrats are spending buckets of cash.