Author Topic: Private Art Collectors Beware  (Read 8054 times)

fifth_column

• friend
Private Art Collectors Beware
« on: April 22, 2014, 10:58:34 AM »
The FBI can seize your property in order to determine if it was acquired illegally.  Notice that the FBI does not need to have any proof of illegality, just a suspicion.  Actually, from this case it appears that mere curiosity is all that is necessary for them to raid and steal a person's possessions.

The aim of the investigation is to determine what each artifact is, where it came from and how Miller obtained it, Jones said, to determine whether some of the items might be illegal to possess privately.

the FBI was careful not to say whether they believed the man, Don Miller, had knowingly broken any laws.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2014/04/02/fbi-seizing-artifacts-rural-indiana-home/7210675/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/03/thousands-cultural-artifacts-seized/7244431/

In what way is this anything like OK?  The man has spent his life pursuing his interests, building a collection of items he probably gets a lot of enjoyment from, and .fed comes along and steals them.  Because at one point the items belonged to somebody else.  I would imagine they once belonged to the person or people that Don Miller bought them from.  There is nothing in either of these articles that indicates the man acquired them illegally, or that any kind of illegal activity is occurring whatsoever. 

This just blows my mind. 
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Ned Hamford

• friend
Re: Private Art Collectors Beware
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 11:13:46 AM »
The more dubious their base, the more likely the act to be an overwhelming display of strength. Not sure if anything is illegal and such an analysis will take decades; Send in the raid team! Might=Right!

For some reason folks have the notion that treaties trump rights and that isn't a view I think mainstream america would get behind.  I don't care that the Supreme Court gave the ok to that run around of government taking ever so long ago.  If it hits a mainstream or at least large enough public concern (say private gun ownership) rather than some podunk farmer shooting migratory geese; that issue will come to a head rather than trundling along as a taken for granted government prerogative.   
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 12:45:34 PM »
Yep, The 4th Amendment is pretty much a dead letter.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 01:16:29 PM »

Has been for decades. I'm be deeply shocked if the FBI didn't arrest said private art as asset seizure. Requiring Mr. Miller to first prove his standing, then prove said products were legally acquired (because objects have no presumption of innocence) and then try to get the court order actually enforced.

I'm fairly sure they don't even bother to pretend that asset seizure is somehow related to War on Drugs or whatnot.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 02:28:42 PM »
This is but one event in a series of raids on grave robbers. Theres quite a bit of buzz about it. They are going from collector to collector following the illegally obtained and traded goods. And yea if they trace one bad piece to you they are gonna look at all your stuff.  Grave robbing is illegal even if its not white graves

http://www.nps.gov/archeology/tools/Laws/NAGPRA.htm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 02:38:38 PM »
Grave robbing is illegal even if its not white graves

There's an Egyptian exhibit in the Field Museum that would tend to disprove that statement.  And any number of Native American exhibits.  And every Sumerian one.........

I think what you mean is grave robbing that some folks feel white guilt about is illegal.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 02:46:50 PM »
The FBI can seize your property in order to determine if it was acquired illegally
Yeah. See Lacey Act. See Gibson Guitars.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

• friends
Re:
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 02:47:01 PM »
You might wanna look at the process for getting the stuff in those other exhibits.  There ate a lot of hoops with other countries.  And the law here is pretty straightforward

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 02:48:16 PM »
Yep, The 4th Amendment is pretty much a dead letter.

The whole constitution is, really.  I'm not sure why some people seem to think it's still at all relevant.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 03:05:41 PM »
This
https://www.burkemuseum.org/archaeology/laws

And maybe reading the ugly American might help

• friends
Re:
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 03:06:31 PM »
Nick or anyone else explain how you think the 4th is being violated

dogmush

• friend
Re:
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 03:14:05 PM »
You might wanna look at the process for getting the stuff in those other exhibits.  There ate a lot of hoops with other countries.  And the law here is pretty straightforward

None of which were followed when the majority of those exhibits were "collected".  Basically in the middle of last century guilty whites said "Oh we got enough pretties, and we are messing with the Noble Savage, so make all this crap illegal. But anything we already got is totally legits!"

• friends
Re:
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 04:07:30 PM »
Er no. In fact there are laws treaties and artifacts returned and such. But it is an interesting justification for ongoing grave robbing and trade in the proceeds

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 05:02:26 PM »
There have been many artifacts returned to native american tribes over the years.  Some of them were coated in DDT, IIRC, because that's what people did to preserve artifacts back in the day.

The point is the FBI is completely negating this man's rights, and they're not even claiming he's done anything illegal.  They don't even have to make any claims of illegality anymore.  They just have to say 'We're doing this because we want to do this and there's nothing anyone can do or say to stop us."

Maybe it's been going on for a long time, maybe I haven't lost all my ideals after all, maybe enough of us have enough ideals to make some changes around here . . .

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 05:15:52 PM »
is it your belief this search is warrant less?
or do you believe he must have committed a crime to get a warrant?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 05:54:14 PM »
is it your belief this search is warrant less?
or do you believe he must have committed a crime to get a warrant?

"and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Where is the probable cause?

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »
is it your contention there is none?  or your belief they need to establish it to your satisfaction? on the net for your convenience?

historically they get the warrants based on a sale from another person under investigation.
and its not required that the man whose house they search have committed a crime or be charged  now or ever

edited to add   they also ran stings with undercover's that rolled up a bunch of folks
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:22:39 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 09:27:55 PM »
Hey, cassandra and sara's daddy. Here's an idea. How about, if the fourth amendment concerns are so obviously unfounded; if there are good, legal, Constitutional warrants, and/or solid case law that makes this all a tempest in a teapot; how about you just explain all of this to us mouth-breathers, instead of calling people racists first? How does that strike you?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friends
Re:
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 09:46:26 PM »
I thought I did explain.  And I guess it could be called racism when people identify with their own demographic and support another member reflexively. I mean no one here woukd be ok with me using a backhoe at the first Baptist graveyard to dig folks up for jewelry and gold teeth. But getting busted for either doing the same to indian graves or trafficking in the spoils is government over kill. Maybe theres another reason?

Perd Hapley

• friend
Re:
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 10:10:39 PM »
I thought I did explain.  And I guess it could be called racism when people identify with their own demographic and support another member reflexively. I mean no one here woukd be ok with me using a backhoe at the first Baptist graveyard to dig folks up for jewelry and gold teeth. But getting busted for either doing the same to indian graves or trafficking in the spoils is government over kill. Maybe theres another reason?

I guess it could be called malicious, or at least impolite, when you ascribe racism to people, without any evidence thereof. When they talk about fourth amendment concerns, and never mention race; and you just jump straight into projecting your own racial issues onto them.

Stay classy.

But, I did go back to look at your first post, and you did explain a bit more about how the raid might have been justified, before (not after) you got to race-baiting, which seems to be your thing, lately. So there's that.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 02:28:55 AM »
Is it your contention that folks don't respond very differently when its one of "their people" involved? Be it a racial/social/professional demographic. That would be a most unique position.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Re:
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 06:33:23 AM »
Is it your contention that folks don't respond very differently when its one of "their people" involved? Be it a racial/social/professional demographic. That would be a most unique position.

Not so much.

Lots of archaeological digs and less scholarly sorts have been digging up the graves of my ancestors for over a hundred years.  Yet we north euro types plum forgot to whine about it to everyone willing to listen.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
Re:
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 07:36:55 AM »

Oh, I guess that makes it right for you to jump to conclusions about other members of the Polite Society, and make snide accusations, sans evidence. But please; tell us more about how predominantly white American law enforcement is coming down on a white American for collecting artifacts from foreign countries, and how that validates your contention that no one ever acts against their own cultural bias. I guess they only care about the Russian artifacts?

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 07:40:13 AM »
Not so much.

Lots of archaeological digs and less scholarly sorts have been digging up the graves of my ancestors for over a hundred years.  Yet we north euro types plum forgot to whine about it to everyone willing to listen.
Which graves were those? Can I buy your kins property up to and including bones on the net?