Author Topic: Used book finds  (Read 4080 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Used book finds
« on: May 30, 2006, 04:58:03 PM »
I don't know how well this thread will do, but share your great finds from used book stores, thrift stores, flea markets, yard sales, the libraries of deceased loved ones, and so on.  I am hoping the book hounds among us will add to the thread as they have new finds to report.  Or, list the books you're looking for.  If it came from the internet, though, you're cheating.  Everything's on the net.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
Used book finds
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 05:00:07 PM »
On Memorial Day, I hit up a great used book store in Saint Louis and found a few books that I was too broke to buy.  I did manage a few good ones, though.  

an abridged version of The History of England, by G.M. Trevelyan c1942 - very good for my purposes right now, as I am reading Bailyn's The Ideology of the American Revolution[/i], and am quite lost on the English background of colonial political thought.  

The Bill of Rights: Its Origin and Meaning,[/i] by Irving Brant c1965 - looks good

The Living US Constitution[/i], revised edition, by Saul K. Padover c1968 - I don't know if he coined the idea of "the Constitution is a living document" but it will be interesting to see what he has to say.

Intellectual History in America: Contemporary Essays on Puritanism, the Enlightenment, & Romanticism, ed. by Cushing Strout c1968 - goes along with the Bailyn book, I suppose

Perd Hapley

• friend
Used book finds
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 05:07:20 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good primer on European history?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Used book finds
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 05:10:33 PM »
If I need a used book, I simply call my Mother.

She's been selling rare, antique, and out of print books for over 20 years now.

Some time ago I posted a message about sitting at her computer, and beside my feet was a pile of half a dozen books worth in excess of $3,000.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Azrael256

• friend
Used book finds
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 05:43:42 PM »
fistful, what, specifically are you looking for?  If you want a general primer, buy a used European history textbook.  If you want something more specific, let me know and I'll find you whatever you want.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Used book finds
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 05:53:20 PM »
I love used books, and all the used book stores around here suck. I did finally read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, and now intend to find an attractive used copy of as many of her books as possible.

Anyone happen to know of a good used book store in central KY?
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Used book finds
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 06:44:42 PM »
I got a rather good copy of the Fall by Camus for $2.17 once.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Perd Hapley

• friend
Used book finds
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 08:00:58 PM »
I found that one by Camus, along with A Happy Death.  I believe it was published posthumously, and is an early draft of what became L'Entranger.

I read HD, but have yet to read the other two.  Where's my Cure tape?

Iain

• friend
Used book finds
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 01:50:25 AM »
I worked in a charity shop for a few weeks straight after graduating and deliberately took over responsibility for books as soon as possible. One reason was because copies of popular books like 'The DaVinci Code' may have sold at 50p, but they also sold at £1.50 and that was better for charity revenue. Also I liked to get first look at the stock and then insist on paying the shop price rather than the token value the manager wanted. I still got some very good books for very little.

Andrew Roberts 'Napoleon and Wellington'
Gilbert's 'Second World War'
Keegan's 'First World War'
Assorted Paul Theroux's
Kazuo Ishiguro's 'A Pale View of Hills'
and a few Iris Murdoch's, plus lots of others.

Few weeks after that I picked up lots of PJ O'Rourke's for a pittance.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Used book finds
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 04:00:16 AM »
I did finally read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, and now intend to find an attractive used copy of as many of her books as possible.
Atlas Shrugged, old enough to be dedicated to both her husband and her lover.  Hardbound, at Goodwill.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Stetson

• friends
Used book finds
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 04:48:43 AM »
The Rivers Ran East, first printing, $2.50  Author Leonard Clark

Thats my most amazing find.  All the other books I have found are just to complete some series I like.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Used book finds
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 08:35:02 AM »
Quote from: fistful
On Memorial Day, I hit up a great used book store in Saint Louis and found a few books that I was too broke to buy.  I did manage a few good ones, though.
Do you mind sharing where in St. Louis you found this used book store?

Perd Hapley

• friend
Used book finds
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 08:50:10 AM »
You won't get me to talk, copper.  I'm no stool pigeon.

OK, I am.  Dunaway Books, it's on Grand somewhere, in the city limits, I believe.  They have enough history to split into geographic categories, which is quite nice.  They have moved religion, philosophy, poetry and other categories to the basement, so don't miss that.  

Did you know the YMCA at Carondelet has a MASSIVE book sale every summer?  It's 25-30 Aug. this year.  http://www.ymcastlouis.org/carondelet/classes.  Huge selection of books and records, very cheap.  Should have bought the whole set of Durants I saw there a few years ago.

Re: Iain's post: I love finding good books at thrift stores, yard sales, and other such places.  Far cheaper than elsewhere.  Found a good paperback of Rise and Fall of the Third Reich for a pittance, among other great stuff.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Used book finds
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 08:28:29 AM »
I stumbled accross a pair of used book stores on Manchester road, out in Brentwood or therabouts.  I was curious if the shop you mentioned might be one of these.

I haven't yet found a used book store that didn't have at least one or two good finds.  The only real problem with used book stores is that I can't find enough shelf space back home to put everything I end up buying.  I suppose there are worse problems to have.

Thanks for the heads up on the YMCA book sale.  If I'm in St Louis that time I'll be sure to check it out.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Used book finds
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 08:37:36 AM »
Quote from: Headless Thompson Gunner
I stumbled accross a pair of used book stores on Manchester road, out in Brentwood or therabouts.  I was curious if the shop you mentioned might be one of these.

I haven't yet found a used book store that didn't have at least one or two good finds.  The only real problem with used book stores is that I can't find enough shelf space back home to put everything I end up buying.  I suppose there are worse problems to have.

Thanks for the heads up on the YMCA book sale.  If I'm in St Louis that time I'll be sure to check it out.
Those two are The Book House and Patten.  Dunaway is much farther east; I believe it is actually in the city.  The YMCA sale is huge.  It takes up a gymnasium, the balcony thereof, about three rooms upstairs, a big room in the basement, and a pretty big tent outside.  

It is tempting to buy a small library at those places.  I try to limit myself to things I will read very soon, or would not be easily available elsewhere.  Of course, some books are standard texts or references everybody should have, or they are just great deals.  I found a complete copy of Plutarch's Lives for ten bucks; a classical classic that you can't find just anywhere.

Iain

• friend
Used book finds
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 01:40:12 AM »
Dropped into a local charity shop over the weekend and bought -

Bruce Chatwin - The Viceroy of Ouidad
Bruce Chatwin - Utz
Kazuo Ishiguro - When We Were Orphans
E. Annie Proulx - The Shipping News

All for the grand total of £6 ($10US or thereabouts) Why so many Bruce Chatwin's? Because I finished 'On the Black Hill' the other night and can't think of a finer book that I have read. Some on a par, but probably no finer.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Used book finds
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 01:55:52 AM »
I bought pretty near EVERY book I own from one used book store or another. And I have hundreds. Last foray produced:

"Last of the Mohicans" which I'm reading now (excellent)
"Death of a Salesman"
"Life on the Mississippi" (read it first- also excellent)
and "The Sun Also Rises" (I think I already had and read a copy of this but this one is an old hardcover so I picked it up anyways.

Got em from a local church book used booksale. My favorite place to look istheSalvation Army Thrift Store. They never know what they have so I've picked up a lot of good books that have held $ value over the years just by poking around for a while and looking it all over. Good place to find old recordings too.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
Used book finds
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 02:05:27 AM »
As far as wants

IIRC I need "The Wild North" to COMPLETE my collection of Ion L. Idriess. Something like 46 books , most out of print with lots of First Editions. An original copy of his "Cyaniding for Gold" is worth thousands. I haven't bit that bullet  I thought about it a couple times. Tongue I DO have a facsimile copy in perfect condition however. It's STILL worth hundreds even though its a fax. Bought most of those from a private owner I met on EBAY. An original copy of his "Guerilla Series" is Also worth thousands. Again me? Facsimile worth hundreds. rolleyes

Someday maybe when I get rich I'll get them in original form.

Cheesy

280plus

• friend
Used book finds
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 02:07:21 AM »
www.abebooks.com is a good place too...

cosine

• Administrator
Used book finds
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 06:34:26 PM »
Just got this today: Full orchestral scores of all nine of Beethoven's symphonies in four volumes. 89 cents a volume. cool
Andy

Antibubba

• friend
Used book finds
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 06:34:30 PM »
I like to add to what I call "The Post-Apocalypse Library".  Cheesy

Yesterday at a yard sale I found Modern Watch & Clock Repairing: Complete Course in Practical Horology

"Modern" being 1944.

Now, I'll never have the skill or dexterity for that kind of precision work, but someone else might find that the perfect niche.  Information is always a barterable item.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Used book finds
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2006, 07:37:35 PM »
Cosine, that is sweet.  Napoleon Dynamite sweet.

Antibubba, you are one disturbed individual.  You'll need gunkid's wheelbarrow to peddle your books.

Edited to add that scores, even of Beethoven, are not as cool as old record albums, which is what I thought our friend had obtained.  Silly me.  Enjoy, Mr. Cosine.

cosine

• Administrator
Used book finds
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2006, 08:54:33 PM »
Cosine, that is sweet.  Napoleon Dynamite sweet.
You bet! cool

Edited to add that scores, even of Beethoven, are not as cool as old record albums,
Oh yes they are. Smiley

Enjoy, Mr. Cosine.
I certainly will!
Andy