Author Topic: Getting a new title for a boat  (Read 1012 times)

Big_R

• friend
Getting a new title for a boat
« on: June 05, 2006, 03:45:18 AM »
I'm hoping someone has gone through this so they can tell me if it's worth it.  An in-law has an '87 Sea Ray boat that he more or less wants to give me.  It's mechanically sound, but the seats are pretty ratty.  Anyway, he bought it about 5 years ago and got the title for the trailer, but never for the boat.  The guy he bought it from moved shortly after the sale and has been hard to track down.  I have about $1000.00 to spend, but haven't gone through trying to get something like this titled.  Anyone have advice on getting a new title?  Thanks.

Ryan

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 04:08:55 AM »
Just remember: a boat is a fibreglass hole in the water, into which you pour money.

I would think your DMV would be able to help you  with it.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Preacherman

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 04:27:08 AM »
A new title for a boat?  Isn't that when someone smashes a bottle of champagne against the bow?
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 04:38:19 AM »
What state are you in?  Does your state have "bonded title" where you simply post a bond and assert that you own it, and if no one contests it for a period of time, usually three years, you get a regular title?  There are also "title services" that get s title in another state, (usually Alabama), and then "sell" it back to you, for a fee.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 04:39:00 AM »
I bought a canoe once that didn't have a title. I got a bill of sale from the owner and went to the county treasurer and got the title drawn up.

I would have the in law draft up a bill of sale and have it notarized and go from there.

I've owned a few boats and as Stickjockey said they are a money pit. I have been looking into buying an old fiberglass or aluminum speedboat for a resto project, the initial purchase of the boat isn't much but the resto process can get expensive quick. $1k is just a drop in the bucket to start on a boat. That might maybe cover your upholstery work on the seats. Please stick to light colors your ass will be happy when your out boating on a hot day and you decide to switch to an empty seat.

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Big_R

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 05:20:14 AM »
I'm in central Minnesota (lake country).  Boats like this sell regularily for around 3 - 4k if they're in good shape.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll start with the DMV and go from there.

Ryan

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 05:36:19 AM »
Quote from: Big_R
I'm hoping someone has gone through this so they can tell me if it's worth it.  An in-law has an '87 Sea Ray boat that he more or less wants to give me.  It's mechanically sound, but the seats are pretty ratty.  Anyway, he bought it about 5 years ago and got the title for the trailer, but never for the boat.  The guy he bought it from moved shortly after the sale and has been hard to track down.  I have about $1000.00 to spend, but haven't gone through trying to get something like this titled.  Anyone have advice on getting a new title?  Thanks.

Ryan
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/watercraft/index.html
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/watercraft/titles.html

If you want the boat, get it done.  Don't let anyone discourage you from having a good time.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 06:07:01 AM »
Boats can be expensive to own but they are a lot of fun. As JJ said don't let anyone discourage you if you really want to be a boater. I can't imagine life without a boat, though I do regret that I don't get out on the water as much as I say that I am each spring. Next year that will change because future Mrs Charby is a nautical babe and already has plans for us to own a large pontoon boat someday. I'd rather have a fish/ski or a speedboat but I'd be happy just being able to be on the water.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 07:31:18 AM »
Please understand, nothing in my post was meant to discourage youfrom getting a boat if you want one. Just be aware of what  boat ownership entails.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Big_R

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 12:31:58 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll hit the DMV on Friday.

Stickjockey:  Don't worry.  I'm aware that money will have to be put into it.  I'm hoping I can get it water ready for less than $1000.00.  So far, it's looking good.

Ryan