Author Topic: You know, it adds a whole new dimension to the music  (Read 2391 times)

cosine

• Administrator
You know, it adds a whole new dimension to the music
« on: June 05, 2006, 07:55:10 PM »
when you listen to it with the score in your hand. Seeing as how I picked up the scores for Beethoven's symphonies today, I sat down tonight and listened to parts of the 6th and 8th symphonies with the score in my hand, especially watching for the parts for my instrument. (the clarinet)

You never realize how much is really in that music until you listen to it while reading the score. You just don't realize how many subtle little nuances Beethoven threw in his music that you hear but because they sound so natural they don't stick out as especially cool until you actually see them in the score while you listen to the music.

I can't wait to listen to all nine symphonies with the score in my hand. cool
Andy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 08:22:42 PM »
I though you had bought record albums.  Scores?  Paper?  You big nerd.  And the clarinet of all things.  Smiley

fistful retreats to silently envy cosine's deeper appreciation of beauty
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 08:26:34 PM »
Quote from: fistful
I though you had bought record albums.  Scores?  Paper?  You big nerd.  And the clarinet of all things.  Smiley

fistful retreats to silently envy cosine's deeper appreciation of beauty
I thought everyone knew that "scores" are the sheet music, the little-black-dots-with-sticks written on paper. Cheesy You know, books of music. You have to read the music instead of hear it. Wink

Hey, being a music nerd hasn't treated me poorly. And the clarinet is just 'bout the perfect instrument. (well, along with the piano, and the guitar, and the oboe, and the flute, and the recorder, and the saxophone, and the harpsichord, and the trumpet, and the horn, and the trombone, and the euphonium, and the baritone, and the tuba, and the timpani, and the percussion, and the violin, and the viola, and the violincello, and the bass, and the ... and the ... Hey, I only the play the piano, clarinet, and guitar. I've still got some work to do in order to be a real nerd. Cheesy)
Andy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 08:37:16 PM »
You need to ascend to the next level and play banjo.  From Africa to America to Ireland and back again; it rolls!

My Daddy plays guitar and mandolin, and not much banjo, in the bluegrass style.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 08:39:39 PM »
Quote from: fistful
You need to ascend to the next level and play banjo.  From Africa to America to Ireland and back again; it rolls!

My Daddy plays guitar and mandolin, and not much banjo, in the bluegrass style.
Banjo is cool. I mean that seriously. I think it's the tenor that works so great in old-timey jazz and Southern music, while the five-string adds a whole new dimension to bluegrass and Irish type music.
Andy

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 01:07:13 AM »
Well you must know the old joke.

Q: What does it tell you when the banjo player is drooling out both sides of his mouth?

A: The stage is level...

BWahahahahahhaaa....

Yes you're right about the reading along cosine. I had to analyze and write a paper on his G Minor Symphony (IIRC - it's, been a while) for a final exam which involved exactly what you are talking about and it WAS quite the eye opener.   You discover that most of the time they are merely working their way from one important chord to another throughout the piece. It IS interesting to see how he develops an idea that is just a fragment into a full blown symphony.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 05:02:29 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Well you must know the old joke.

Q: What does it tell you when the banjo player is drooling out both sides of his mouth?

A: The stage is level...

BWahahahahahhaaa....
I knew I was asking for this by admitting I liked the banjo. Wink

Yes you're right about the reading along cosine. I had to analyze and write a paper on his G Minor Symphony (IIRC - it's, been a while) for a final exam which involved exactly what you are talking about and it WAS quite the eye opener.   You discover that most of the time they are merely working their way from one important chord to another throughout the piece. It IS interesting to see how he develops an idea that is just a fragment into a full blown symphony.
I didn't know that Beethoven wrote a symphony in G minor. Tongue The only two minor symphonies I can remember that he wrote (I just checked too, to make sure my memory is right Cheesy) are number 9, D minor, and number 5, C minor.

Now Mozart, IIRC, wrote at leat two G minor symphonies. Smiley

Now that I'm done being a pain Cheesy, yes, your analysis is exactly what happens. It's really cool though seeing it happen. You see and appreciate the structure of the symphony in an entirely new way too when you listen with the score in your hand.
Andy

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 06:47:13 AM »
For a second there, after reading the thread title, "You know, it adds a whole new dimension to the music", I would've sworn Cosine had just seen Dark Side of the Rainbow. Cheesy
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 09:26:37 AM »
Hmmm,,,I told you it was a while ago. I'd hum a few bars but I don't think it would translate across the net all that well. Tongue  All I remember is it was long and had lots of little dots with sticks coming out of them...

Oh heck, here goes...

DA dum dum DA dum dum DA dum dum DA
dee dee dee
dee dee dee
dee dee deeee
and so on and so forth.

Hmmm, maybe it WAS Mozart... rolleyes

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 09:55:19 AM »
Duh, yup! it was Mozart G minor Symphony #40 / K 550. But you could tell that from my "humming" a few bars in that last post, couldn't ya? Tongue

Cheesy

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 12:56:47 PM »
Duh, yup! it was Mozart G minor Symphony #40 / K 550. But you could tell that from my "humming" a few bars in that last post, couldn't ya? Tongue

Cheesy
Well, actually, I must admit that I was pretty sure that was the one you were humming. Cheesy Now, fistful, how's that for nerdy? Tongue
Andy

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 12:59:53 PM »
I'm still kinda impressed with myself that I pulled that off!

LOL...

Apparently I'll be needing a pocket protector and some tape for my glasses. Cheesy

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 01:03:09 PM »
I'm still kinda impressed with myself that I pulled that off!

LOL...
You know, on a piano board I visit, that's actually been a popular game occasionally. Someone types as though they are humming a piece of music, and other posters have to guess what it is. First one to get it right gets to type-hum a few bars of another piece to continue the game. I've never gotten involved with those though because usually I have no idea who's humming what. Smiley
Andy

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 01:06:00 PM »
Apparently I'll be needing a pocket protector and some tape for my glasses. Cheesy
Pocket protector, tape, glasses... bah. Tongue

Baton, baton case, conductor score... yes! Cheesy
Andy

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 01:59:22 PM »
Someone types as though they are humming a piece of music, and other posters have to guess what it is.
OK now THAT'S NERDY!

I'll go first!

Just kidding...

Cheesy

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 02:04:41 PM »
Someone types as though they are humming a piece of music, and other posters have to guess what it is.
OK now THAT'S NERDY!

I'll go first!

Just kidding...

Cheesy
Okay, I'll admit that you did have me scared for a minute as I slowly scrolled down the page. Cheesy

I told you, I suck at that game! Wink

(It's fascinating to watch that game develop though. Do I get to keep my nerd card? Tongue)
Andy

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 02:09:26 PM »
Sure, just don't be waving your baton at me... shocked

Tongue

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 02:19:45 PM »
Andy

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 06:18:37 PM »
I'm in Wisconsin, too, and last I looked, I'd lose my government security clearance I've held for the last 20+ years if I did pot - so nice try.

However, I did get some nice pictures of funnel clouds near Sun Prairie, tonight.  Luckily, they didn't touch the ground, though I understand one did near Waunakee.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"