Author Topic: Obama speech undercuts federal charge for judge's murder  (Read 4416 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Obama speech undercuts federal charge for judge's murder
« on: January 13, 2011, 03:38:06 PM »
http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshgerstein/0111/Obama_speech_undercuts_federal_charge_for_judges_murder.html

How many ways can I say, "I hope it undermines any charges against the shooter based on the elected or appointed status of his victims?"

We're not supposed to have a nobility in this country, Article I, Section 9.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Obama speech undercuts federal charge for judge's murder
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 03:45:14 PM »
http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshgerstein/0111/Obama_speech_undercuts_federal_charge_for_judges_murder.html

How many ways can I say, "I hope it undermines any charges against the shooter based on the elected or appointed status of his victims?"

We're not supposed to have a nobility in this country, Article I, Section 9.

Too late for that. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 04:05:11 PM »
I was floored when I heard that the feds wanted to prosecute for "assassination of a federal judge while he was in the course of his duties."

I hope this kid fries for what he did.

But I abhor the temptation to throw EVERYTHING at someone just so that as much as possible sticks.

It reminds me of the helicopter crash over downtown Phoenix a couple years ago, where two news choppers collided while they tried to film a high speed police chase.  The prosecutor charged the fleeing driver with the murder of the news crew in the choppers. [barf]

This judge wasn't doing anything in the course of his duties.  He just got out of Mass, and happened to notice the Giffords was doing some gladhanding at the grocery store in his neighborhood.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 04:16:43 PM »
^^^ My wife and I were discussing this very thing last night: the judge was there serendipitously, and was not specifically targeted (so I assume) for his role as a judge. We were wondering if a Federal death penalty would be sought for this if the judge was not targeted. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 04:35:20 PM »
I find it morally reprehensible for the state to assigned a higher value of life to one person or group simply based on a job.  The shooter (if guilty of murder) should die for murdering another human being, not because he murdered a <insert job title of choice>.

The whole concept makes me want to puke.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 05:30:04 PM »
I find it morally reprehensible for the state to assigned a higher value of life to one person or group simply based on a job.  The shooter (if guilty of murder) should die for murdering another human being, not because he murdered a <insert job title of choice>.

It's getting to the point where the only killers who don't get additional charges thrown at them are those who kill white heterosexual males who are not government employees.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 05:40:08 PM »

This.

With bells on it.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 06:10:41 PM »
It reminds me of the helicopter crash over downtown Phoenix a couple years ago, where two news choppers collided while they tried to film a high speed police chase.  The prosecutor charged the fleeing driver with the murder of the news crew in the choppers. [barf]

We had a kid around here tooling along on a bright summer day on his motorcycle doing 100+ on a curvy country road.  A 25-year-old state trooper in an unmarked SUV passed him oncoming, stopped, turned around and made pursuit.  The trooper promptly put his SUV into a tree at 90mph, no seatbelt, drt.

Motorcycle boy shut it down a few miles later and promptly got picked up by another trooper based on description.  Claimed to not know he was ever being pursued (he easily could have been out of sight around a curve before the trooper could have turned around).

Anyway, he was convicted of manslaughter.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 06:11:45 PM »
It's getting to the point where the only killers who don't get additional charges thrown at them are those who kill white heterosexual males who are not government employees.

I resemble that remark!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 06:15:14 PM »
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/federal-laws-providing-death-penalty

You will all find this of interest.  Federal charges that carry a death penalty. The list sure has expanded over the years. A drug-related drive-by shooting? Murder by a federal prisoner? Willful wrecking of a train resulting in death?

I am sure there are interesting stories behind how some of these got added to the list.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 06:22:05 PM »

Yup.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 08:42:45 PM »
The higher penalties might reflect greater risk associated with the job, not "special status."  You might have higher penalties for killing a judge, for example, because there are more people out there motivated to kill a judge than there are people motivated to kill a random, white male, non-government employee.

It does seem sensible that people at the lowest risk of murder don't have special penalties designed to protect them.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 08:58:03 PM »
The higher penalties might reflect greater risk associated with the job, not "special status."  You might have higher penalties for killing a judge, for example, because there are more people out there motivated to kill a judge than there are people motivated to kill a random, white male, non-government employee.

It does seem sensible that people at the lowest risk of murder don't have special penalties designed to protect them.

Well, then, killing black and mexican inner-city males living in housing projects ought to bring super-dooper death penalty squared, 'cause they are at highest risk to be murdered.

Federal judges likely don't even rate, frequency-wise.

Wikipedia says a grand total of four since 1979:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_murdered_United_States_federal_judges

OTOH, for blacks (male & female):

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 08:46:46 AM »

+1 on this.

Were I to be selected as a juror in such a case (fat chance, given competent voir dire by the prosecutor) there is NO way I would convict ANYONE were they charged with a crime against a government employee that would not apply if they harmed a private citizen. Charge the AZ killer with murder, fine, I'll readily convict. Charge them with murder of a government employee . . . nope. Likewise, I wouldn't convict a private citizen charged with a crime for behavior that, say, Congress exempted itself from . . . which includes everything from compliance with the ADA to insider trading.

Government employees ought to be subject to, and protected by, exactly the same set of laws that protect and apply to me, the only exceptions being those explicitly stated in the Constitution, such as the protection from libel that Congresscritters get for things they say on the floor during a session of Congress.

We shouldn't have de facto royalty in this country.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 09:04:57 AM »

Surely you jest?  Amount of risk does not entitle one to special class treatment, because thats what it's about: Separating those who work for us from us.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 10:40:01 AM »
I ran some numbers last year, and retail store owners are 20X more often the victims of assault, battery, murder and murder than are police officers. I would assume that judges face less danger than do police officers.

Should we have an extra 20 year federal sentence for killing a convenience store owner?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 11:01:23 AM »
Well, then, killing black and mexican inner-city males living in housing projects ought to bring super-dooper death penalty squared, 'cause they are at highest risk to be murdered.

Federal judges likely don't even rate, frequency-wise.

Wikipedia says a grand total of four since 1979:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_murdered_United_States_federal_judges

OTOH, for blacks (male & female):

Actually, for the most part it does - gang or other crime related homicides (which comprise the overwhelming majority of these killings) are mostly LWOP or death penalty offences.  Those statutes target precisely the groups you're referencing.

Monkeyleg, Jamis:

Killing a convenience store owner is, for all practical purposes and in most states, a death penalty or life without parole offence.  There ARE special crimes for murders committed while robbing a store, or in the course of numerous other felonies.

Amount of risk does, imho, justify enhanced penalties - more incentive to commit the crime warrants greater deterrence in response.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 03:42:08 PM »
Would you support harsher punishments for thieves who target rich people?  Greater incentives, and all?

Lighter punishments for trying to rob from poor people?  Smaller incentive...? 

Take it to the extreme.  Would you support zero punishment for trying to rob someone who's broke and penniless, since he has nothing worth stealing and presents no incentive to theft?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 03:43:30 PM »
Would you support harsher punishments for thieves who target rich people?  

Harsher penalties for Democrats  ???

I'll have to think about that one a bit...  >:D

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 02:11:11 AM »
Would you support harsher punishments for thieves who target rich people?  Greater incentives, and all?

Lighter punishments for trying to rob from poor people?  Smaller incentive...?

We're talking about murder, but in case you didn't know, it's already a more serious crime to steal or try to steal more money than it is to steal less.  Hence the punishment distinction you're referring to actually exists in practice, and it does make some sense: trying to steal a million dollars is a more serious crime than stealing $10.

Take it to the extreme.  Would you support zero punishment for trying to rob someone who's broke and penniless, since he has nothing worth stealing and presents no incentive to theft?

Why would we take it to this extreme, and why would a crime cease to be a crime on my reasoning?  I'm not sure how the example is in any way relevant.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 02:32:20 AM »
trying to steal a million dollars is a more serious crime than stealing $10.

Then how is it that my BIL did some jail time but Barney Frank did not? ;)

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 03:38:05 AM »
Then how is it that my BIL did some jail time but Barney Frank did not? ;)

Hahaha, yes, you've captured something that is very suspicious - public corruption is one of the toughest crimes to prove, significantly more difficult than any other kind of fraud, regardless of the amount.  I wonder how the law got written that way...

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 05:29:25 AM »
I ran some numbers last year, and retail store owners are 20X more often the victims of assault, battery, murder and murder than are police officers. I would assume that judges face less danger than do police officers.

Outside sales is even worse.  (Though I haven't been able to find a breakdown of, say, B2B vs residential doorknockers, etc.  It would be interesting in determining the main factors; the doorknockers are in bad neighborhoods on foot, but the B2B guy is wandering around unfamiliar towns, well dressed, in a nice car, almost certainly unarmed, etc.)  The Fuller Brush guy has a much higher risk of being a victim of violent crime on the job than a cop, and yet there aren't any special protections for him.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 11:32:06 AM »
...public corruption is one of the toughest crimes to prove, significantly more difficult than any other kind of fraud, regardless of the amount.

Yeah, I guess the authorities have to find the money in the freezer before the politician can actually be charged.