Has poverty changed over the years?

Yes- poverty is much less drastic now
18 (72%)
Don't know / other
4 (16%)
No- poverty is just as bad now as ever
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Has poverty changed over the years?  (Read 2355 times)

Pb

• friend
Has poverty changed over the years?
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:20:24 PM »
When reading about poverty from a conservative point of view, there tends to be two relatively opposing opinions I have encountered:

1) Poor people are much better off materially now than they were decades ago (say the 1950's)- they have lots of food, housing, cars, etc... these folks may say the war on poverty has been "won" to some extent or another.  The "victory" may be caused by expanding economic growth, technlogy, or welfare etc.

or

2) The number of poor people is staying the same or growing, and everything done by the government to "fight poverty" has been a waste.

Or perhaps you have a view different from these... what do you think?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Has poverty changed over the years?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 12:24:52 PM »
I think basic needs are met for the poor if they don't squander the resources granted to them by Uncle Sugar.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 12:27:10 PM »
its changed  today you can be poor and still have an xbox a flat screen and a smart phone.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 12:36:13 PM »
Can one be financed out of poverty?

Like the lottery winners that end up worse off then when they started.

Or a guy I know who makes 90k and still has no savings and still occasionally runs out of money.

I think poverty is a more complex topic then just a persons income.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 12:41:54 PM »
Yes, it has changed IMO.

Years/decades ago you could be poor, proud, hardworking and responsible.

And you could live in a relatively safe neighboorhood of other poor, proud, hardworking and responsible people.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 01:13:08 PM »
Yes, it has changed IMO.

Years/decades ago you could be poor, proud, hardworking and responsible.

And you could live in a relatively safe neighboorhood of other poor, proud, hardworking and responsible people.

We were poor, but not impoverished.
"It's good, though..."

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 02:21:03 PM »
If you look at some of the depression and dustbowl photos, you can see actual poverty.  Today you can have a family that owns two cars, is buying their own home, all of them are overweight, and they are still classified as poor.  I believe it's a matter of definition.  We define poverty as "X" income, and pay people who earn less.  But we don't count those payments as income, so they are still classified as poor.  I know that for whatever reasons, we do have people in this country who are genuinely poor, but subsidizing low income is a trap that's difficult to escape.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 03:06:47 PM »
When I think of poverty, I think of my dad walking home from school each day along the railroad tracks looking for chunks of coal so they could heat their house.

I think of my mom selling fresh eggs door to door before school and selling vegetables from their garrden in the afternoons and giving that money to her dad.  

We don't have poverty today.  We have the richest poor people in the world.  They don't have to go and try to scratch out a living from farming or livestock.  They sit around watching big screen TV's when they are not riding around in new cars talking to their friends on the latest Iphone.  

Neither of my parents families had a phone when they were growing up.  It wasn't until after WWII when my uncle bought a used car that my families had transport other then shoe leather or a horse (used for plowing).   Dad only got a car after he graduated from pharmacy school after WWII.  

Poverty was defeated long ago.   And the thing is, neither of my parents ever thought they were "poor".  As long as they could work, they could eat.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 07:08:19 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 05:01:24 PM »
its changed  today you can be poor and still have an xbox a flat screen and a smart phone.

And 2 cars.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 05:03:54 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 05:05:45 PM »
with 22" spinners.

that you rent

and you can use cash from your ebt card to pay the rent and buy a tat and a couple 40's
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 05:29:22 PM »
Let us not forget poor has generally meant no money.  Now we get to complicate things that much more with Debt.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 08:18:58 PM »
Can one be financed out of poverty?

Like the lottery winners that end up worse off then when they started.

Or a guy I know who makes 90k and still has no savings and still occasionally runs out of money.

I think poverty is a more complex topic then just a persons income.

by: Ned Hamford
Let us not forget poor has generally meant no money.  Now we get to complicate things that much more with Debt.

This is VERY common, probably applies to people making more than 90k, too.  Wish I'd figured it out ten years sooner than I did.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 09:13:28 PM »
It seems to me that poor people worked long hours, while having time for leisure was a sign of a comfortable middle-class income. Now, partly due to smart phones and laptops, it seems to be those with "good jobs" who are harried and worn thin, while having time to relax is associated with being poor or lazy.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 09:19:32 PM »
When I think of poverty, I think of my dad walking home from school each day along the railroad tracks looking for chunks of coal so they could heat their house.

I think of my mom selling fresh eggs door to door before school and selling vegetables from their garrden in the afternoons and giving that money to her dad.  

We don't have poverty today.  We have the richest poor people in the world.  They don't have to go and try to scratch out a living from farming or livestock.  They sit around watching big screen TV's when they are not riding around in new cars talking to their friends on the latest Iphone.  

Neither of my parents families had a phone when they were growing up.  It wasn't until after WWII when my uncle bought a used car that my families had transport other then shoe leather or a horse (used for plowing).   Dad only got a car after he graduated from pharmacy school after WWII.  

Poverty was defeated long ago.   And the thing is, neither of my parents ever thought they were "poor".  As long as they could work, they could eat.

That pretty much echoes my parents' experience. Even when my dad was starting to work as an engineer, we lived very frugally. Mom sewed patches on our jeans, darned our socks, and when we went to the movies she made a bag of popcorn and we brought our own bottles of soda, because they couldn't afford to buy it at the theater. My dad had an old used car that he kept running with baling wire and the grace of God. Mom had a very large vegetable garden, and she canned vegetables that we ate year round.

And that's all I'm going to say. ;)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 09:27:14 PM »
That pretty much echoes my parents' experience. Even when my dad was starting to work as an engineer, we lived very frugally. Mom sewed patches on our jeans, darned our socks, and when we went to the movies she made a bag of popcorn and we brought our own bottles of soda, because they couldn't afford to buy it at the theater. My dad had an old used car that he kept running with baling wire and the grace of God. Mom had a very large vegetable garden, and she canned vegetables that we ate year round.

And that's all I'm going to say. ;)

"♪ Had an old dog that was trained to attack. Sometimes."
"Coal-burnin' stove, no natural gas... ♫"
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:31:09 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 12:23:15 AM »
"♪ Had an old dog that was trained to attack. Sometimes."
"Coal-burnin' stove, no natural gas... ♫"

Don't know that song, but my dad often told me about his mother, who died when he was 12. They had a wood burning stove, and she'd spend her days chopping wood and feeding the fire in the stove. She'd do laundry by boiling water in big pots on that stove, and take all day to do just a small bunch of clothes. My dad said the floor was black from soot.

Strange, but my ex spent the first few years of her life in a house in Milwaukee that didn't have an indoor bathroom. Just an outhouse. In a big city.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 01:35:11 AM »
They're not consecutive lines in the song, I just really like the one about the dog "trained to attack, sometimes" :D  And I had to cut the "coal-burnin' stove" line short to not give it away.

"If That Ain't Country" by David Allan Coe.  It could have been written about the people in my home town in East Texas -- exaggerated a bit.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 06:42:44 AM »
I'm not yet 52 but I remember visiting my grandparents before they had running water and indoor plumbing. The old outhouse was still there when granddad passed in '99 and the farm was sold. Probably one giant wasp nest inside and pretty much completely covered in honeysuckle vines by then. Dad is 77, by today's standards they were "poverty stricken". No plumbing, heated with wood or coal and carried water up a hill from the spring. He worked a team of mules on the farm from the time he was big enough to do it till he joined the Air Force in 1954. There wasn't a tractor on the place till just before I was born. No welfare, no food stamps but granddad and grandma raised 4 kids and kept them healthy, clothed, fed and educated. Granddad used to say they never had much money but they damned sure weren't poor.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 09:04:35 AM »
My father's family were tenant farmers while he was small.  They didn't have electricity or plumbing until he was a teenager.  My dad remembered his father earning only $20 in profit after an entire year of farming once.  Then, his father became a farm manager, and they moved into a house with both electricity and plumbing, which made my grandmother very happy. 

My father told me before they moved they were "as poor as white people got" though they didn't really think about it. He said the difference between then and now is that they didn't expect other people to provide for them.  My grandfather had a hard life.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 12:54:38 PM »
Define it as a percentage and it can never be gotten rid of.
Define it as a standard of living-it is gone.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 08:28:39 AM »
I'm pretty sure the survey and the notions behind it are flawed, as it seems to be aimed at, or at least the responses seem to be aimed at, recipients of public largesses.

1 - the .gov defines poverty as an income of less than X for a family of four (4) and then extrapolates (badly) for units of two (2) and one (1).
2 - the .gov does not count public largess as income

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2014, 09:08:25 AM »
Define it as a percentage and it can never be gotten rid of.
Define it as a standard of living-it is gone.

In general, yes. But as a rule, no. Chronic illness, mental illness, et al can be pathways to a very low standard of living. Deinstitutionalization is multifaceted with good and bad aspects. But one 'bad' aspect is non-functional mentally ill homeless are kicked to the curb rather than housed in a psychiatric hospitals. Due to the tying of employee benefits to healthcare coverage, chronic illness can also be a direct ticket to poverty with few alternatives.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2014, 10:41:39 AM »
The biggest difference in poverty "then vs. now" is that since the advent of LBJ's "Great Society" we've spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $20,000,000,000,000.00 fighting it, a figure that's nearly $3,000,000,000,000.00 larger than our current national debt.

Chew on the implications of that for a while.   :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 12:29:17 PM »
When I was a little kid, we had an outhouse and had to tote water into the house from a hand pump outside. Didn't even know we were poor.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G