Author Topic: Should taxes be automatically pegged to spending?  (Read 2802 times)

Pb

• friend
Should taxes be automatically pegged to spending?
« on: April 01, 2016, 01:04:13 PM »
I had an idea- supposed tax rates were variable and automatically pegged to spending.

When gov spending rises, tax rates automatically rise.

When spending falls, taxes automatically decrease.

This would provide, hopefully, more public pressure to decrease spending, as well as being more fiscally responsible.  No more cutting taxes and raising spending at the same time.

I can think of a problem:

Changing tax rates would make planning for the future more difficult for some individuals

It would contradict the idea that when the economy is bad, the gov should increase spending and decrease taxes at the same time.

What do you all think?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Should taxes be automatically pegged to spending?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 01:10:03 PM »
I think automatic payroll withholding should be eliminated, inheritance tax should be eliminated, capital gains tax is double taxation on money already taxed as income, and that the corporate tax rate should be reduced to whatever it is that China has.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 01:26:37 PM »
I think automatic payroll withholding should be eliminated, inheritance tax should be eliminated, capital gains tax is double taxation on money already taxed as income, and that the corporate tax rate should be reduced to whatever it is that China has.

You are my write-in candidate for president.

Capitol gains and dividends taxes especially irk me (closely followed by the death tax). Mostly because every politician and progressive strategist that promotes "sticking it to those Wall Street fat cats" is also sticking it to people like me, who held a regular job all their lives and sacrificed luxuries in order to invest their after expenses, already taxed wages to provide for themselves in retirement and not have to count on Social Security or other government handouts in their old age.

For every guy in a top hat they think they're sticking it to, they're also sticking it to 10,000 or so Regular Joes who just want to pay their own way through life by investing their already taxed wages.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 01:30:56 PM »
No. That would just make it easier for the politicians to raise both rates at once. Also, the Left would find a way to make the rate hikes "progressive," so that the lower brackets are either exempted, or they only get a one percent hike, while the higher brackets get a 3 or 5 percent, of whatever.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 01:40:58 PM »
Income taxes should, no need to be eliminated altogether.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 04:17:51 PM »

Semi-related: some APS member suggested the following a while back:

1) No tax withholding.

2) Tax day is the same as election day.  You pay your taxes for the year, in full, then cast your vote.

I still like this one the best.  Puts one in the right frame of mind for voting.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 04:24:29 PM »
Semi-related: some APS member suggested the following a while back:

1) No tax withholding.

2) Tax day is the same as election day.  You pay your taxes for the year, in full, then cast your vote.

I still like this one the best.  Puts one in the right frame of mind for voting.

I could be ok with that compromise, so long as there aren't any unearned tax credits being doled out to bring the gimmedats to the polls.

Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 05:50:35 PM »
I had an idea- supposed tax rates were variable and automatically pegged to spending.

I'd rather have shock collars on all members of Congress, with the voltage level pegged to spending.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 06:14:20 PM »
Better idea.

Spending is variable and pegged to tax revenues, if you don't have enough tax revenue to fund the spending you don't get to spend what you don't have.

But shock collars for politicians has always been a good idea.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 09:03:32 PM »
First thing to do is end any and all automatic increases in budgets.  All budgets remain fixed and require specific congressional action to increase each year. 

Second, end any and all bonuses for govt executives (and employees) if they spend more than 100% of their budget.  Maybe even a pay cut?

Third, just get rid of income tax all together including corporate.  That would require ending a lot of govt money giveaways.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 12:48:21 AM »
I'd rather have shock collars on all members of Congress, with the voltage level pegged to spending.

How about voltage level pegged to overall voter approval of Congress?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 12:02:56 AM »
How about voltage level pegged to the inverse of overall voter approval of Congress?

FTFY.

Should taxes be automatically pegged to spending?

No.  It should be pegged to the Constitutionality of the size and scope of the government.
Formerly sumpnz

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 10:36:26 AM »
No.  It should be pegged to the Constitutionality of the size and scope of the government.

Winning!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 10:41:20 AM »
Maybe politicians should be pegged every time they spend.  >:D

Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 11:39:20 AM »

When gov spending rises, tax rates automatically rise.

When spending falls, taxes automatically decrease.

This would provide, hopefully, more public pressure to decrease spending, as well as being more fiscally responsible.  No more cutting taxes and raising spending at the same time.

I can think of a problem:

Changing tax rates would make planning for the future more difficult for some individuals

It would contradict the idea that when the economy is bad, the gov should increase spending and decrease taxes at the same time.

What do you all think?

I can think of a bigger problem: Your plan would automatically provide funding for whatever budget increases our purported "representatives" in Washington choose to foist upon us. Your plan eliminates any semblance of checks and balances, and would only encourage still more profligate spending by the government.

We don't need to encourage and enable more government spending, we need to force the government to downsize, economize, and prioritize.

Whose idea is it that when the economy is bad, government should increase spending? The notion that the government should "stimulate" the economy runs totally counter to the concept of a free market. It is the role of government to govern, not to meddle in the marketplace. The less the government has its sticky fingers in the economy, the better off we'll all be.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 12:29:03 PM »
Have a constitutional amendment that states: Federal Government will not spend annually more than 99% of it's annual revenues.

We got that in the State of Iowa constitution and it has kept us from being like IL, CA and NY with the massive debts.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 12:38:54 PM »
Have a constitutional amendment that states: Federal Government will not spend annually more than 99% of it's annual revenues.

We got that in the State of Iowa constitution and it has kept us from being like IL, CA and NY with the massive debts.

We have something similar in WI- budget has to be balanced. One weak spot was exploited by former gov Doyle- tax revenues are allocated to different spending funds- he used line item vetoes to completely change budgets and drained out the Highway fund and various other funds for his leftist spending agenda (most noteworthy was his choo-choo project). Budget was still balanced, but roads and bridges weren't getting fixed and Gov Walker had to fix the mess left behind by doyle.

Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 01:09:59 PM »
Automatically pegging tax rates to spending would be unconstitutional, as it's taxation without representation. We had an incident of that several years back in Wisconsin.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 11:41:20 AM »
We got that in the State of Iowa constitution

Ah yes, Iowa, where corn products and people tired of Iowa are jockeying for #1 export status.

What do they spend money on anyway?  Cornhole boards and moonshine stills?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 12:39:44 PM »
Ah yes, Iowa, where corn products and people tired of Iowa are jockeying for #1 export status.

What do they spend money on anyway?  Cornhole boards and moonshine stills?
Gotta pay for roads to move the corn, ethanol and dissatisfied residents out of the state. Duh!

Uranus is a gas giant.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 12:45:43 PM »
Gotta pay for roads to move the corn, ethanol and dissatisfied residents out of the state. Duh!

Can't they just pave them with corn waste?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 12:49:43 PM »
Can't they just pave them with corn waste?
Apparently you don't read Ethanol Weekly, we make ethanol out of that now too.

Uranus is a gas giant.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 01:52:34 PM »
Apparently you don't read Ethanol Weekly, we make ethanol out of that now too.

So you're spending all that state budget on new fuel lines, filters and gaskets?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 02:02:48 PM »
So you're spending all that state budget on new fuel lines, filters and gaskets?
We've had ethanol fuel since the mid 70s, most cars since the late 70s have no problem with fuel.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 02:56:50 PM »
Not this stuff again.