Author Topic: Pope condemns life imprisionment  (Read 3616 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Pope condemns life imprisionment
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2019, 02:51:54 PM »
I trust in the word of God, NOT the word of MAN.

So you're a Catholic that doesn't believe in papal infallibility?  Isn't that like, an important part of Catholicism?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2019, 03:03:52 PM »
So you're a Catholic that doesn't believe in papal infallibility?  Isn't that like, an important part of Catholicism?

Wasn't there a British King who solved that problem for himself?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 05:48:29 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2019, 09:17:26 PM »
So you're a Catholic that doesn't believe in papal infallibility?  Isn't that like, an important part of Catholicism?

Not for me! God gave man the ability to Reason and to have the ability to to think for one's self. I believe that this Pope has said several things that I believe to be wrong as have others in the past. I don't find them infallible or inflammable.
 :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2019, 10:42:14 PM »
Il Papa is infallible only when he is speaking ex cathedra (whatever that means), not every time he opens his pie hole.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2019, 05:17:09 AM »
^  It's been a while and I'd completely forgot about that, so thank you.

"The doctrine of papal infallibility, the Latin phrase ex cathedra (literally, 'from the chair') was proclaimed by Pius IX in 1870 as meaning 'when, in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority, [the Bishop of Rome] defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole Church.'[1]

"The response demanded from believers has been characterized as 'assent' in the case of ex cathedra declarations of the popes and 'due respect' with regard to their other declarations.[26]"

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2019, 10:39:39 AM »
Il Papa is infallible only when he is speaking ex cathedra (whatever that means), not every time he opens his pie hole.

Gotcha, thanks.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2019, 11:01:10 AM »
By not executing murderers or not keeping murderers locked up for life is to condemn their next victim to death instead. It's an incurable defect in these people called recidivism.

Woody
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 10:04:10 AM by ConstitutionCowboy »
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2019, 10:58:41 AM »
By not executing murderers or not keeping murderers locked up for life is to condemn their next victim to death instead. It's an incurable defect in these people called recidivism.

Woody

Yes.  Sometimes the obvious has to be re-stated to the oblivious.

Terry, 230RN

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2019, 12:34:28 PM »
If the Pope thinks life imprisonment is bad I wonder what he thinks about that whole eternal damnation thing?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2019, 04:36:05 PM »
If the Pope thinks life imprisonment is bad I wonder what he thinks about that whole eternal damnation thing?
I often wonder if some of these Christians still believe in that (or even the God part).  Not for me to judge that.

That said, we are supposed to be merciful not stupid.  I think these people have no ability to consider the long term consequences of their decisions.  Executing strict punishment for crimes is necessary to satisfy the need for justice for the victim (they always forget the victim)  and to highlight the strict boundaries of behavior for those who might consider doing the same crime later (so you create fewer future criminals and more victims).  I guess when you start thinking no one is responsible for their own behavior, it screws you up to the point of thinking the criminal is more of a victim than the person they hurt. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2019, 05:47:16 PM »
Timshel

From John Steinbeck:
But the Hebrew word, the word timshel—‘Thou mayest’— that gives a choice. It might be the most important word in the world. That says the way is open. That throws it right back on a man. For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.’ Don’t you see?

Steinbeck makes a big deal out of this word in the Bible.  I first came across it while reading his "Journal of a Novel," a record of his efforts in writing "East of Eden."

We have a choice between good and evil.  "Thou mayest."  And "Thou mayest not."

The main theme for East of Eden turns on the correct translation of the Hebrew word timshel, translated differently in various versions of the Bible. The word appears in the Cain and Abel story in Genesis, when God discusses sin with Cain.

https://www.oprah.com/oprahsbookclub/east-of-eden-timshel-mans-choice-between-good-and-evil

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://www.ebooks.com/en-us/411876/journal-of-a-novel/john-steinbeck/
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 06:42:02 PM by 230RN »

Pb

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2019, 06:09:34 PM »

I am personally an annihilationist.  It is a type eternal damnation, but it is not a popular view.

There is a rumor the pope is too.  If so, it is one of the few things I agree with him on.  If he is an annihilationist, I wish he would admit it publicly.

"Surely the day is coming; it will burn like a furnace. All the arrogant and every evildoer will be stubble, and the day that is coming will set them on fire," says the LORD Almighty. "Not a root or a branch will be left to them."
Malachi 4:1

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2019, 12:12:15 PM »
I mean no offense to any resident Catholics. I know Faith, by it's nature, isn't logical, but every day I wonder more how people still bring themselves to fund the Catholic Church.

I, like everyone else, need a path. Since I couldn't blindly accept faith as taught in any religion, I had to dig. There was only one way I found faith. It both convinced me of the existence of God, and in practice, worked for me. I had to question the very existence of God. I found His existence through logic. Example: Nothing in this world happens - be it a mutation, something evolving, an atomic bomb exploding, "climate change," grass growing, good or evil, or simply passing gas - that doesn't follow the laws of physics. The author of those laws of physics I call God.

Blind faith is illogical, though it can serve a person well if the doctrine has been inculcated - eh - faithfully. Faith learned through logic can't be lost, can't be bent, won't succumb to evil, and doesn't require blind obedience. You just know it to be right.

As for the Catholic Church, it has been corrupted and can only be cleansed by a lack of funding. The corrupt will have to go elsewhere to ply their insidious deviant behavior, and then the righteous will rise to the top. I believe the same thing needs to be done to cleanse the NRA. Stop the flow of cash and the greedy will go elsewhere and the righteous will rise to the top as well. How does that saying go? Oh, yeah: Money talks and bovine excrement walks.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood