Author Topic: "The Shocking Paper Predicting the End of Democracy"  (Read 1067 times)

Pb

• friend
"The Shocking Paper Predicting the End of Democracy"
« on: October 03, 2019, 01:27:52 PM »
The lack of self awareness this article demonstrates is very funny...

Democracy is doomed because people vote for conservatives that the elite don't like!

If only we listened and obeyed our intellectual betters... that's what democracy is all about, after all.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/09/08/shawn-rosenberg-democracy-228045

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: "The Shocking Paper Predicting the End of Democracy"
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 05:07:17 PM »
Democracy might not crash and burn if it was the form of government among a homegenous people who shared a common culture and religion.

In a multicultural society Democracy is just another name for tribal warfare.

Diversity is not a strength but an obstacle that has to be overcome.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 05:21:27 PM »
But "diversity" is not leading us down this path.  It is a portion of the homogeneous part of the population that champion "Diversity".  Leftist group-think.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 05:23:07 PM »
More we need more of the problem to fix the problem
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 05:27:37 PM »
Democracy is hard work. And as society’s “elites”—experts and public figures who help those around them navigate the heavy responsibilities that come with self-rule—have increasingly been sidelined, citizens have proved ill equipped cognitively and emotionally to run a well-functioning democracy. As a consequence, the center has collapsed and millions of frustrated and angst-filled voters have turned in desperation to right-wing populists.
Doesn't this sort of sum up the problem with the author's viewpoint?  If there was an "elite" today who actually had the best interest of the USA, it might be someone like Trump.  Most of the leftist elites wouldn't fit that description at all.  If the center has collapsed, it is because leftists have dragged enough people to the left that what used to be the Center is now viewed as "Far Right" by leftists. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 05:30:13 PM »
He has concluded that the reason for right-wing populists’ recent success is that “elites” are losing control of the institutions that have traditionally saved people from their most undemocratic impulses. When people are left to make political decisions on their own they drift toward the simple solutions right-wing populists worldwide offer: a deadly mix of xenophobia, racism and authoritarianism.
This one further down jumped out at me.  IMO, the problem is elites trying to exercise too much control through bigger govt instead of letting people live and let live.  

The author sounds like they are stuck in the hole of their own political viewpoint and can't see beyond it.  I really think they view political "elites" of today to be same as the Founding Fathers from 200 years ago.  I don't think there is much comparison. 

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 05:57:10 PM »
But "diversity" is not leading us down this path.  It is a portion of the homogeneous part of the population that champion "Diversity".  Leftist group-think.

The leftists would have never gained so much power if they hadn't started importing voters. Irish, Italian, Polish have all been faithful leftist voting blocks. Every single non white immigrant group votes left overwhelmingly.

Our leftist elite have been importing new voters for a long time, well before '65.

"Whites" aren't monolithic but are constituted of many tribes. But those different tribes at least shared a religion and some cultural commonalities. Yet still, they turned our largest cities into leftist strongholds.

With our universities churning out intersectionally aware and woke ideologues we're even more fragmented.

What are the ties that bind us together?

They certainly aren't blood or religion. And they certainly aren't teaching children our founding myths any longer.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 10:57:57 AM »
This article comes to a similar conclusion - the experiment has run its course.
Now don’t get me wrong. I like the Republic that Benjamin Franklin challenged us to keep. It was an elegantly designed system that had a great deal of potential. But it has become increasingly corrupt. And it has become increasingly ineffective and bloated. And it has engendered an increasingly dangerous political climate. And perhaps it is time for a change, at least a change in the sense of pretending that we’re still living under that design.

Our form of government is not an end in itself. It was designed a means to securing the end which is the safety and happiness of the American people. And if those forms stops providing us with those ends and come instead to serve as stumbling blocks to reforming to realigning it, we should have no hesitation about making the necessary changes to those forms so we can secure those ends.

Easier said than done.  :old:
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 11:31:29 AM »
Democracy has always been the veil the ruling elites hid behind.

Our ruling elites have failed us by shepherding the mob poorly and not protecting them. In fact they preyed upon their charges.

It appears a new faction in the elite is attempting to wrestle the staff of control from the current rulers.

If they succeed I pray they're not as predatory and evil as the current bunch.

A return to natural rights, strong federalism with a nearly total end to immigration is our only hope of forging a new spirit of civic nationalism among our many tribes.

It's a pipe dream, I know ...

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 12:14:32 PM »
Ah, yes. The hilarious inversion (first written about by Moldbug, I believe) wherein Democracy (the iron will of the civil service) is subverted by Politics (voting).

I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 01:08:14 PM »
Never did get around to reading his book(s).

I have two in my Kindle, they were free.

He wants a return to a monarchy doesn't he?

By the way, I did read his self imposed exile is over and he is back writing under his real name now, Curtis Yarvin.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 10:39:52 PM »
Ah, yes. The hilarious inversion (first written about by Moldbug, I believe) wherein Democracy (the iron will of the civil service) is subverted by Politics (voting).

Very much so. Also, the projection-palooza that makes racism, extremism, and authoritarianism the province of the Right, rather than the Left.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 07:38:39 AM »