Author Topic: Ironic?  (Read 1974 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Ironic?
« on: August 08, 2014, 03:48:26 PM »
The planes that are now dropping bombs on Iraq are being launched off of the carrier named after the President who bombed them the first time.

;)   =|

bob

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/08/08/us-military-launches-airstrikes-on-terror-targets-in-iraq/

brimic

• friends
Re: Ironic?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 05:00:59 PM »
Irony? Or Deja Vu?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 05:41:34 PM »
What's ironic is that the guy in the big chair thinks that some food drops and an airstrike or two will save those folks from geonicide.

Not that I'm eager in any way for a few heavy lifters to show up nearby and bundle them all off to Wyoming or Idaho to start all over.  (Maybe some other country will step up and say they need illiterate sheep/goat herders from the 11th century?)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 09:58:26 PM »
It's Bush's fault.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 10:07:21 PM »
I'm starting to reverse my opinion on iraq involvement. I need to stay away from teh interwebz sites talking about it, and avoid the pics on twitter.

ISIS is pure evil.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 10:11:06 PM »
I'm starting to reverse my opinion on iraq involvement. I need to stay away from teh interwebz sites talking about it, and avoid the pics on twitter.

ISIS is pure evil.

Yep.

And the part that pisses me off the most is knowing that even if we do go in, we will do so in the *expletive deleted*ed up way we "fight" wars...i.e, "hearts and minds and limited conflict" vs. "shoot the *expletive deleted*ers in the face like they so richly deserve"

If we fought wars the way we fought wars in the past and should fight wars now...hell we wouldn't be in this situation...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 10:17:52 PM »
ISIS is pure evil.

Not only that, but the Kurds are the only ones there worth defending.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 10:31:01 PM »
I made the mistake of checking out some twitter from folks inside Iraq.

I'm *expletive deleted*ing heartbroken. I wish there was a solution that was feasible.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 11:13:39 PM »
I made the mistake of checking out some twitter from folks inside Iraq.

Our folks, or their folks?

General Shinseki seems to have bungled his stint as head of the VA by being alseep at the switch, but he was entirely correct when he told Bush and Rumsfeld how many troops we would need to stabilize Iraq. (And, of course, Rumsfeld said he'd authorize one-third that many -- and the rest, as they say, is history).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 11:56:26 PM »
Technically, they did stabilize Iraq for a little while fewer troops than that General called for.  If those people can't keep it together themselves, it is their own fault.  I won't be in favor of perpetual occupation or even perpetual air support. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 02:33:10 AM »
How long does it take to train a smart kurd to fly an A-10? Getting rid of them anyway.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 09:36:26 AM »
How long does it take to train a smart kurd to fly an A-10? Getting rid of them anyway.

Slightly longer than it would take for "the other side" to capture or destroy it on the ground when "our guys" run away from the fight.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 09:47:52 AM »
Slightly longer than it would take for "the other side" to capture or destroy it on the ground when "our guys" run away from the fight.

The Kurds don't generally run from much of anything.  At most they melt back into the mountains to raid some more later.

The guys dropping their weapons and running are the Arabs in the Iraqi army, and to a lesser extent the Shia militias trying to help them.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 10:19:15 AM »
The Kurds don't generally run from much of anything.  At most they melt back into the mountains to raid some more later.

The guys dropping their weapons and running are the Arabs in the Iraqi army, and to a lesser extent the Shia militias trying to help them.

This.  The Kurds have been holding ISIL at bay mostly.  Why we're not giving them more support is beyond me.  The Iraqis are proving to be worthless though.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 09:17:46 PM »
We screwed the Kurds over at least once and have a feeling we are going to do so again.  IMHO I feel the only way to fix this is to put boots on the ground.  Otherwise it is only a matter of time before IS(IS), Iran, Syria or someone else puts an end to them.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 11:33:13 AM »
It's too bad Tom Clancy's not still around. I'd like to see what intrigue he could put together with India (recently taken over supporting Israel from Obama apparently), Israel (especially Israeli ethnic minorities), Kurds, Yezidi's, and Iraqi and Syrian Christians.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 12:22:42 PM »
It's too bad Tom Clancy's not still around.

Heck, I'd missed that! Had to look it up.
I wonder which agency he finally pissed off enough to act. [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 06:56:35 PM »

It's too bad Tom Clancy's not still around. I'd like to see what intrigue he could put together with India (recently taken over supporting Israel from Obama apparently), Israel (especially Israeli ethnic minorities), Kurds, Yezidi's, and Iraqi and Syrian Christians.

Heck, I'd missed that! Had to look it up.
I wonder which agency he finally pissed off enough to act. [tinfoil]

Probably the United Network Command for Law Enforcement...... [tinfoil] [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 07:18:06 PM »
Probably the United Network Command for Law Enforcement...... [tinfoil] [popcorn]

I knew a man from there once  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 10:25:36 PM »
ISIS- same people we were arming in Syria.