Author Topic: Good shoot or bad shoot?  (Read 7789 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Good shoot or bad shoot?
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 12:06:44 PM »
My biggest fear when hunting or fishing in WY is hitting someone's beef critter then having to pay the rancher for the animal.

What?  If a driver hits a loose cow the driver has to pay?  What kind of BS scam is that?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 12:18:50 PM »
What?  If a driver hits a loose cow the driver has to pay?  What kind of BS scam is that?

It's open range.

The cattle were there first.  Drive your horseless carraige at your own risk.

Same way in most of Montana.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 12:32:52 PM »
I have a pretty low opinion of cops generally speaking, and it might have been possible to get the horses safely out of the way. That being said, human lives are more valuable than animal lives so I have no issue with putting them down if necessary. ANd of course we can second guess all day long but no way to know if it was the only or best course available.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 12:51:01 PM »
I have a pretty low opinion of cops generally speaking, and it might have been possible to get the horses safely out of the way. That being said, human lives are more valuable than animal lives so I have no issue with putting them down if necessary. ANd of course we can second guess all day long but no way to know if it was the only or best course available.

I'm having nightmares picturing cops trying to put down horses with AR-15s in .223  [barf]
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 07:59:58 PM »

My uncle, the ambulance chaser, hit a cow just north of Austin, NV, on SR 305 while on his way up to visit us for Christmas one year. That area is open range, it was dark, and the cow was pitch black. Hard to see. He hit it at something like 60-70 mph. He was fine, but his rig was totaled. Still had to pay for the cow.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 09:38:48 PM »
My uncle, the ambulance chaser, hit a cow just north of Austin, NV, on SR 305 while on his way up to visit us for Christmas one year. That area is open range, it was dark, and the cow was pitch black. Hard to see. He hit it at something like 60-70 mph. He was fine, but his rig was totaled. Still had to pay for the cow.

That is just stupid. Animals should never have the right of way on roads, regardless of size.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 11:55:57 PM »
That is just stupid. Animals should never have the right of way on roads, regardless of size.

It's that way when the road is fenced off - if the cattle get out through negligence of the rancher, the rancher's at fault. Open range is the exact opposite, though; it's the driver that has to watch for the animals.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2013, 09:04:30 AM »

Tell that to the deer  :P

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2013, 11:23:34 AM »
They need to move those Deer Crossing signs off the highway.  Let the deer cross someplace safer.
"It's good, though..."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2013, 06:11:23 PM »

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2013, 11:00:31 PM »
It's open range.

The cattle were there first.  Drive your horseless carraige at your own risk.

Same way in most of Montana.

Same thing here in northern Nevada, if you drive the speed limit and pay attention you're usually OK.
There is a mean bend in the road down the street.
The sign says 45mph and its a blind curve - every summer- eagles,cows,horses,antelope end up as hood ornaments because folks get so used to going 70. When its a cow its always the prize cow worth a ton of money, and you will pay.

Its open range, even though the cows are gated they still manage to get on the road. The wild horses just stare at you hoping you have a carrot ... one time a bull wandered into our garden and I managed to shoo it away, wondering if a .40 would simply bounce off its skull if I needed to use it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 11:05:03 PM by gunsmith »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2013, 11:27:23 PM »
one time a bull wandered into our garden and I managed to shoo it away

I used to chase moose out of the garden in Alaska.  That was my contribution to the project.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »
I used to chase moose out of the garden in Alaska.  That was my contribution to the project.

Moose were there first, animal oppressor. ;)

Im trying to figure out if killing the horses and blocking traffic until the carcasses can get moved off the road was really more efficient than containing them until a cowboy with a trailer could show up.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2013, 06:48:49 PM »
Moose were there first, animal oppressor. ;)

Im trying to figure out if killing the horses and blocking traffic until the carcasses can get moved off the road was really more efficient than containing them until a cowboy with a trailer could show up.

I think they just wanted to shoot something  ;/

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 05:47:13 PM »

Couldn't find anything about horses, but Taser tested their devices on meth-addled sheep.  Srsly.

[Dave Barry] 'Meth-addled Sheep' would be an excellent name for a band. [/Dave Barry]

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.