Author Topic: Unconfirmed Bergdahl to be charged with desertion  (Read 7776 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Unconfirmed Bergdahl to be charged with desertion
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 09:21:22 PM »

:lol:

Yup.    The book was a lot better .... but the movie was one of the most competent movies ever made from a book.
Tom Clancy wished he could write like Fletcher Knebel and Charles Bailey .....

FIFY
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 06:54:54 AM »
When did Fort Dix, NJ, cease to be a BCT post?

Fort Lost in the Woods? I remember it well -- unfortunately.

91 but was/is a training ground for Guard and Reserve units.  I went to Basic there in 88/89 and was back there in 2006 training up to go to Iraq.  Actually was there 18 years later to the day.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 08:55:06 AM »
I hear/read that there a lot of back and forth between the DoD and the Administration on this.

DoD wants to put Bergdahl against the wall with a blindfold.   The 15-6 has (more than) enough to go to an Article 32 hearing and then Courts Martial.

Administration doesn't want to embarrass Obama, the whole "He's a hero" thing in the Rose Garden, plus the five terrorists we gave up that reportedly are all back to being terrorists.

Be interesting to see how this plays out.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 03:10:39 PM »
Can I please, pretty please sit on the Court Martial panel?  I promise I will be nothing but fair. [popcorn] >:D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2015, 03:16:17 PM »
It would be interesting to see a list of Army colonels and above that are cashiered retire in the coming weeks.  And it would be interesting to compare that list to the list of Army colonels and above that were involved in making this decision to charge Bergdahl.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2015, 05:38:14 PM »
I just saw that the New York Times is asking if he'll still be able to get an honorable discharge after the desertion charges so he won't have a problem finding employment afterwards.  ;/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2015, 05:52:12 PM »
I just saw that the New York Times is asking if he'll still be able to get an honorable discharge after the desertion charges so he won't have a problem finding employment afterwards.  ;/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/us/army-bowe-bergdahl-desertion-charges.html?ref=topics
A lawyer for Sergeant Bergdahl, Eugene R. Fidell, said Wednesday that the sergeant’s lawyers had not decided how they would proceed, including whether they would try to negotiate a discharge for Sergeant Bergdahl in lieu of trial by court-martial.

Defense officials have indicated that there is little desire to see Sergeant Bergdahl serve time behind bars if he is court-martialed and convicted.

Try to negotiate a discharge?  Oo, that's rich!

And just which "defense officials" are indicating little desire?

Sounds to me as if the Grey-water Lady needs to flush out her filters.

stay safe.

added the missing close bracket
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:21:19 PM by scout26 »
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 07:27:11 PM »
Try to negotiate a discharge?  Oo, that's rich!

Dropped a bracket on that closing quote tag...

And pretty much anybody in the situation of facing a court martial is going to be trying to negotiate on the sentence.  Means the lawyer is doing his job.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 07:40:18 PM »
. . . And just which "defense officials" are indicating little desire? . . .
Can the Commander-in-Chief be considered to be a "defense official?"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 07:43:21 PM »
Dropped a bracket on that closing quote tag...

And pretty much anybody in the situation of facing a court martial is going to be trying to negotiate on the sentence.  Means the lawyer is doing his job.

Just seems to me (as someone with no expertise in the subject matter), that asking for an honorable discharge in this case is kinda like asking for a million dollars and a pony. Wouldn't a general discharge be more in line with "best case scenario" (for Bergdahl) considering the charges?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 08:51:55 PM »
Just seems to me (as someone with no expertise in the subject matter), that asking for an honorable discharge in this case is kinda like asking for a million dollars and a pony. Wouldn't a general discharge be more in line with "best case scenario" (for Bergdahl) considering the charges?

Negotiating tactic.  Shoot for the moon, settle for the next continent over.

For example, perhaps he deserted, but my thought is that if you count the time he was held captive, that's far more than the average deserter serves anyways, even if one looks back at in-combat desertions during Vietnam and Korea.

One should maintain perspective in these matters.  Personally, I'm of the mind to just kick him out.  One problem you'll have, even with a DD, is that he's still a former POW.  Remember, your being in the military doesn't end until they say so, they don't back date it.  So the VA is still going to be on the hook for anything medical stemming from his time as a POW(or before). 

JN01

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 09:11:35 PM »
Was he actually a POW or was he there voluntarily and collaborating with the enemy?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2015, 10:01:01 PM »
Was he actually a POW or was he there voluntarily and collaborating with the enemy?
Well, when he walked away from his fellow troops in a war zone I don't see how he thought he'd end up with anyone but the enemy . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2015, 10:11:58 PM »
Well, when he walked away from his fellow troops in a war zone I don't see how he thought he'd end up with anyone but the enemy . . .

I don't think anybody is crediting him with an overabundance of smarts.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2015, 11:39:40 PM »
A couple of things I found interesting.

1.  Why is the FORSCOM commander preferring charges and not either the Division, Corps, or most importantly Theater Commander?
2.  I read it as they want his ass, and by having the FORSCOM commander do it, he's somewhat "insulated", from the White House and the administration by JCS and Army Staff at the Pentagon.
3.  Only if he's found "Not Guilty" does he retain rank, money and VA Benefits.  Guilty of either Desertion or Misbehavior Before the Enemy, and he even loses his VA bennies for anything to do with his captivity.
4.  In the NYT article, in the video.  Why is spokesman wearing Armor branch insignia, yet his regimental affiliation is with the 7th US Cavalry? 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 12:35:36 AM »
4.  In the NYT article, in the video.  Why is spokesman wearing Armor branch insignia, yet his regimental affiliation is with the 7th US Cavalry? 

According to Wiki, they have a few armored Armored Reconnaissance Squadrons. Maybe he was in one of those?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_Cavalry_Regiment#Current_status

They also have a combined arms battalion...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:38:38 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 09:01:07 AM »
Yes, but if he's affiliated with a Cav regiment, then he should be wearing Cav branch insignia.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 08:35:03 PM »
A couple of things I found interesting.

1.  Why is the FORSCOM commander preferring charges and not either the Division, Corps, or most importantly Theater Commander?
Where is SGT Berghdahl assigned these days?  Is it possible that he is assigned to some random unit at or near FORSCOM HQ?  Much the same way GOs facing UCMJ are often assigned as a special assistant to the CSA since they wouldn't be much use in a normal unit.  Perhaps the FORSCOM CG is the first GO with UCMJ authority in his chain of command?  I'm not a JAG, just speculating.

My read on this is that he was regimentally affiliated with 7th Cavalry while assigned to one of its squadrons in the past.  Per the ever helpful Wikipedia, "Officers and enlisted personnel assigned to cavalry regiments, cavalry squadrons or separate cavalry troops are authorized to wear the cavalry collar insignia in lieu of their insignia of branch when approved by the MACOM commander."*

But since he is now an FA 46 assigned to FORSCOM HQ he reverts to his normal basic branch insignia, Armor.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Cavalry#Heraldry

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 02:26:59 AM »
Bergdahl is currently at Ft. Sam Houston, Texas.  There is a one star (USAF) commanding Joint Base San Antonio.  So yeah, kicking it up to FORSCOM (at Bragg) makes some sense.  But it should have been the 25th ID commander, ISAF or CENTCOM Commander.

Anyway, the Army is playing this to get a conviction, and if Obama says word one about it, then it screws up the Courts Martial. (undue command influence).   Which would be a real loser move for Obama.  Possibly enough to be classified as a "High Crime(s) and Misdemeanor(s)".  As in obstruction of justice.

Of course he could wait untill all is said and done, then pardon him.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2015, 09:43:51 AM »
Has there been any sign in all of this that the military could have withheld from Obama the fact that Bergdahl was a deserter? I was thinking that, if I were in charge of the military and had a chance to keep Obama in the dark about something so that he'd go and make a fool of himself, I'd jump at that chance.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2015, 10:15:45 AM »
Has there been any sign in all of this that the military could have withheld from Obama the fact that Bergdahl was a deserter? I was thinking that, if I were in charge of the military and had a chance to keep Obama in the dark about something so that he'd go and make a fool of himself, I'd jump at that chance.

That thought had crossed my mind as well.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2015, 11:33:25 AM »
Anyway, the Army is playing this to get a conviction, and if Obama says word one about it, then it screws up the Courts Martial. (undue command influence).   Which would be a real loser move for Obama.  Possibly enough to be classified as a "High Crime(s) and Misdemeanor(s)".  As in obstruction of justice.

What's to stop him from making a loser move?  Obama has making loser moves down to a fine art.  I fully expect him to interfere with the case in some fashion.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2015, 02:18:38 PM »
Looks like he's going for the "whistleblower defense", claiming that he was walking to the nearest outpost to report "order and discipline" problems in his unit.

It's actually kind of a brilliant defense given the circumstances (based on public info), because, how do you prove beyond reasonable doubt that he wasn't? Not that it would get him out of a desertion charge, but it could get him leniency. Of course of note is that this is only coming out now, versus months ago, after the trade.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2015, 02:49:12 PM »
Looks like he's going for the "whistleblower defense", claiming that he was walking to the nearest outpost to report "order and discipline" problems in his unit.

Riiiight, because the DSN and email of the IG isn't posted right next to the SHARP* contact numbers every damn where, up to and including often on the walls above the urinal's and inside doors of porta-lets and toilet stalls. And his BC's memorandum on Open Door policy wasn't posted along with all the other command policies, and there wasn't an NCO support chain all the way back to freaking CENTCOM that could be used both by DSN and e-mail......Oh, wait...............

*Sexual Harrasment/Assault Response and Prevention.