Author Topic: Unconfirmed Bergdahl to be charged with desertion  (Read 7777 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Unconfirmed Bergdahl to be charged with desertion
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2015, 03:07:53 PM »
Looks like he's going for the "whistleblower defense", claiming that he was walking to the nearest outpost to report "order and discipline" problems in his unit.

It's actually kind of a brilliant defense given the circumstances (based on public info), because, how do you prove beyond reasonable doubt that he wasn't? Not that it would get him out of a desertion charge, but it could get him leniency. Of course of note is that this is only coming out now, versus months ago, after the trade.

Right, just after he had mailed all his personal belongings home and walked off without any means of defense.  Oh, might I add that the local villagers that were interviewed said he was specifically looking for the Taliban.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2015, 03:45:43 PM »
Has there been any sign in all of this that the military could have withheld from Obama the fact that Bergdahl was a deserter? I was thinking that, if I were in charge of the military and had a chance to keep Obama in the dark about something so that he'd go and make a fool of himself, I'd jump at that chance.

Zero.  He would have to briefed in at some point before the charges were preferred.  Which would also include a warning about "undue command influence".

Bergdahl will be Courts-Martialed. Whatever happens, happens.  Then Obama will pardon him on 19 Jan 2017.

And yes, the "whistle blower defense" won't work.   Where was he going to blow said whistle?  He had (and would have more) ample opportunities to report any "problems".  A  simple "I want to use the open door policy to see the Company Commander/Battalion Commander/Brigade Commander/Division Commander." and you have to put him on the next thing (Truck or Chopper) headed to the rear.   Nothing you can do to stop him.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2015, 04:04:36 PM »

And yes, the "whistle blower defense" won't work.   Where was he going to blow said whistle?  He had (and would have more) ample opportunities to report any "problems".  A  simple "I want to use the open door policy to see the Company Commander/Battalion Commander/Brigade Commander/Division Commander." and you have to put him on the next thing (Truck or Chopper) headed to the rear.   Nothing you can do to stop him.

From the talking head quotes I heard, he (or his attorney) is trying to say that he couldn't trust any of his officers. Lame excuse regardless, but from what you guys in the know are saying, there's no way he'll be able to pull it off given documented procedures. I wonder why he's going for this defense? If he has a civilian attorney, you'd think he'd have one that was at least basically versed in .mil procedures.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Unconfirmed Bergdahl to be charged with desertion
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2015, 06:08:55 PM »
From the talking head quotes I heard, he (or his attorney) is trying to say that he couldn't trust any of his officers. Lame excuse regardless, but from what you guys in the know are saying, there's no way he'll be able to pull it off given documented procedures. I wonder why he's going for this defense? If he has a civilian attorney, you'd think he'd have one that was at least basically versed in .mil procedures.
When ya ain't got many lures in the ol tackle box ya gotta make due with what ya got
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2015, 08:24:15 PM »
Zero.  He would have to briefed in at some point before the charges were preferred.  Which would also include a warning about "undue command influence".

Bergdahl will be Courts-Martialed. Whatever happens, happens.  Then Obama will pardon him on 19 Jan 2017.

This
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2015, 08:34:55 PM »
In addition, there is always the "Nuclear" option.  Mailing (either E- or snail type) your congresscritter.   Again, if the "problems" were that bad.  To whom was he going to complain to when he went walkabout?   I don't think there are many payphones in that part of A-stan.  Nor were there anyone he could complain to correct said "Problems" in his unit.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:30:15 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2015, 09:50:05 PM »
Riiiight, because the DSN and email of the IG isn't posted right next to the SHARP* contact numbers every damn where, up to and including often on the walls above the urinal's and inside doors of porta-lets and toilet stalls. And his BC's memorandum on Open Door policy wasn't posted along with all the other command policies, and there wasn't an NCO support chain all the way back to freaking CENTCOM that could be used both by DSN and e-mail......Oh, wait...............

*Sexual Harrasment/Assault Response and Prevention.

Good old UVA graffiti.  More common than cartoon sharpie cocks in portajohns.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2015, 01:15:30 PM »
Also if before the nuclear option, contacting a Senator or Representative, as I believe someone stated before, he could have contacted the IG offices.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2015, 01:31:35 PM »
The whistleblower defense seems to be blowing up in his face. A bunch of the guys from his unit are getting MSM time with "WTF?" statements similar to what the .mil guys here are posting.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2015, 03:09:13 PM »
Let me add that at least 6 Service Members were killed in action looking for this jackass and not sure how many more wounded.