Author Topic: Riots in London  (Read 23172 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Riots in London
« on: August 07, 2011, 01:55:04 PM »
www.smh.com.au/world/london-burns-as-youths-run-riot-after-shooting-20110807-1ihle.html

Anyone in the UK have insight into this? I wonder how the Brit riot cops handle this. Water cannons, tear gas?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Riots in London
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 02:13:08 PM »
Appears to be the standard "The man is keeping us down." riiot.

Not sure of the exact circumstances regarding the initial police shooting, but this looks like a protest march that some used as excuse to go looting.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 03:26:58 PM »
The unrest followed a march to a police station in Tottenham in protest over the shooting death of a minicab passenger by police on Thursday in an apparent exchange of gunfire. Mark Duggan, 29, a father of four, died at the scene.

The radio of a police officer was later found to have a bullet lodged in it.

Darned press screws up the facts, once again.  Everybody knows mere mortals are not allowed to posses handguns in (formerly)Great Britain.  Must have been caught in the crossfire of the circular firing squad the armed police set up.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 06:01:38 PM »
Must have been caught in the crossfire of the circular firing squad the armed police set up.

stay safe.

Ironically enough this is exactly what is being reported now, its unconfirmed but it was apparently a police bullet that was found in the officers radio. 

That apart, this does seem to have been (and increasingly is) a riot that has tacked onto an unconnected protest as an excuse to do some looting, especially the incidents today (when a shopping centre has been turned over some miles away). 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 09:08:44 AM »
Violence spreads, continues for a second night.

www.channel4.com/news/london-riots-spread

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 04:54:43 PM »
Lots more going on tonight. Beck will see this as a prophecy of London burning (that was actually stated as fact at a time of other, completely unrelated student protests that were much more minor and didn't involve much burning, and despite what he was linking them to had nothing to do with immigration or Islam) being fulfilled.

Shops on fire, and lots of people saying there is little police action. Spread to Birmingham tonight as well. It's the product of various things, but if the circular emails the papers were picking up today are genuine, it's more to do with opportunistic looting and vandalism than anything else.

edit, it's still limited in area

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:41:13 PM by Iain »
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 08:16:31 PM »
Shops on fire, and lots of people saying there is little police action. Spread to Birmingham tonight as well. It's the product of various things, but if the circular emails the papers were picking up today are genuine, it's more to do with opportunistic looting and vandalism than anything else.
That's why there is little police action; they are protecting the criminal class.  (professional courtesy.)
"It's good, though..."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 09:19:34 PM »
That's not good... from the Telegraph coverage...

02 .03 A enormous blaze has engulfed
Sainsbury' s depot in Waltham Abbey, Essex. The
warehousing appears to be the size of a football
pitch and the entire store is ablaze and pouring
thick black smoke. It is one of the major food
depots for central London.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 02:33:29 AM »
Appears to have been the worst day yet. Reports of cops sent out sans riot gear, riots being spread outside of London with Twitter co ordination, but thankfully I haven't seen many casualties mentioned. I wonder what will happen tonight?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 04:16:26 AM »
Meeting of COBR this morning. Things got a lot worse after I posted here last night, spread to Liverpool and Bristol too to my knowledge. No reports of deaths that I've heard, but a man has life threatening head injuries according to the BBC. Goes against my inherent socially liberal views, but law and order needs to be re-established hard and fast, right now these people think they are untouchable. According to a guy on the news just now, we haven't used troops on the streets since 1919, and that was because the police were on strike rather than due to the police not coping with something.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:19:57 AM by Iain »

agricola

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 08:21:41 AM »
Meeting of COBR this morning. Things got a lot worse after I posted here last night, spread to Liverpool and Bristol too to my knowledge. No reports of deaths that I've heard, but a man has life threatening head injuries according to the BBC. Goes against my inherent socially liberal views, but law and order needs to be re-established hard and fast, right now these people think they are untouchable. According to a guy on the news just now, we haven't used troops on the streets since 1919, and that was because the police were on strike rather than due to the police not coping with something.

That bloke died.  Yesterday was madness, a series of ever more disgusting acts of criminality with the mood enlivened only by one or two incidents - the probably most interesting to people here being the action of a group of turkish shop owners and their family / friends who armed themselves and saw off a 100-strong mob of would-be looters in Hackney.

That picture above was from central Croydon, where there were a series of fires started in business premises which (like many in London) have residential flats above, and people had to jump for their lives to escape.  There were several such incidents across the borough.

Not sure its the right moment for comedy, but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkWtMNBgf48&feature=player_embedded

:facepalm:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:27:13 AM by agricola »
"Make peace, you fools"

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 08:31:19 AM »
What did they arm themselves with?

I live in Illinois, 20 minutes outside Chicago city limits, if something like this were to occur here there would be a heavily armed response by my neighbors I suspect.

This might be one of the most anti gun places in the USA on paper but the amount of firepower owned is very substantial.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 08:59:01 AM »
2x4's I'd expect Ron.

Lots more police on the streets tonight, Cameron says 16,000. Coppers doing 30hr shifts, poor sods.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 09:11:07 AM »
What did they arm themselves with?

I live in Illinois, 20 minutes outside Chicago city limits, if something like this were to occur here there would be a heavily armed response by my neighbors I suspect.

This might be one of the most anti gun places in the USA on paper but the amount of firepower owned is very substantial.

Bats and pieces of wood, and one imagines the odd knife was present as well.
"Make peace, you fools"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 09:33:25 AM »
Was not agricola a peace officer in Britain?

I would like to wish him (and Iain too) to stay safe. It doesn't SEEM all uberviolent to me, but regardless. Stay safe, comrades.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 09:40:34 AM »
I just had a conference call with some coworkers in the UK canceled because some of them had to evacuate to safer locations.

Chris

Iain

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 09:51:26 AM »
A few London forumites on my other board are going home, due to various reports of places that are being targeted later. Boris Johnson (London Mayor and national celebrity) given a torrid time by the public on the streets a few minutes ago "Why are you here now? Too late."

I'm miles away from anything at the moment, though half expect the riots to shift away from London once police forces from around the country have sent officers to London. The nearest riots in Birmingham seemed to be mostly looting, rather than arson and violence.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 12:35:36 PM »
That bloke died.  Yesterday was madness, a series of ever more disgusting acts of criminality with the mood enlivened only by one or two incidents - the probably most interesting to people here being the action of a group of turkish shop owners and their family / friends who armed themselves and saw off a 100-strong mob of would-be looters in Hackney.

Reminds me of the Korean shop owners during the 1992 L.A. riots.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 12:49:19 PM »
See, the noble spirit of the Arab spring is spreading!

:facepalm:

So he's trying to hit police with the umbrella pole?

I found this one more amusing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPi2vEiMARY
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:53:35 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 12:53:36 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SHKhvVjLIc

too bad the cane isn't a 12 gauge
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 07:15:31 PM »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 07:20:01 PM »
See, the noble spirit of the Arab spring is spreading!

Mmmmm.

When's it come here, to the good old United State?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 07:21:42 PM »
Some thoughts on the cause of the riots. http://winstonsmith33.blogspot.com/2011/08/riots-in-london-are-culmination-of.html

As ever the argument will be between that viewpoint, and the argument that these kids are the fruits of Thatcher's social policies.

London quieter tonight, more trouble in Manchester.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 09:02:50 PM »
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 10:13:38 PM »

No guts, no glory.

The hooligans are loose, the hooligans are loose!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZnEpaSOFwk&feature=related
What if they become ruffians?
7-11 was a part time job.