Author Topic: 1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4  (Read 9498 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: 1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 04:42:01 PM »
All of these "newer" vehicles you have to keep a trickle charge on them if you don't drive them every few days.

We have to do this with all of our wildland fire engines.

We have a "command truck" that has to sit outside.  We have a solar charger for it that sits on the dashboard and plugs into the lighter.

I used to leave my old 1960s vintage trucks sit all winter (4-6 months) and then start them right up in the spring no problem.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 05:07:32 PM »
I need to get another 4wd and would desperately like to find a decent 3/4 ton 1975-1980.
Prices on those in OK condition are re-flippin-diculous...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 08:57:17 PM »
Greetings from the 4077, Sparky!!!.....

http://smokeysoffice.com/entertain/mash/MashPhoto/Cast/Radar1.jpg

Hope you get your vehicle problems solved....you've got a lot of good advice, here.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 09:01:20 PM »
Prices on those in OK condition are re-flippin-diculous...

Yeah, I could have got one 2-3 years ago for a couple grand but we were kinda tight right then.  Now they all seem to have disappeared except for an occasional jacked-up shortbox  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 11:48:36 PM »
Yeah, I could have got one 2-3 years ago for a couple grand but we were kinda tight right then.  Now they all seem to have disappeared except for an occasional jacked-up shortbox  ;/

You can thank "Cash for Clunkers".  (your .gov at work)
"It's good, though..."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2011, 12:37:20 AM »
I had an old ranger for awhile, the ABS never worked, I never fixed it, never seen any need for it.

Good luck, I know zip about cars-I'm sure there is a forum for ford exploders.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 01:22:03 AM »
I'm sure there is a forum for ford exploders.

Yup.

http://www.explorerforum.com/

I've owned a 1991 and a 1996 XLT, my brother has a 2000 XLS, uncle has a 2002.

Don't really know how to fix 'em though.  Except for the alternator.  That one's easy.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth