Author Topic: So, what are we reading?  (Read 7454 times)

Chris

So, what are we reading?
« on: July 28, 2006, 11:06:52 AM »
I'm headed to the beach (Rehoboth, Delaware) next week for some down time, which means good music and a few good books.  What's everyone reading that they can recommend?  I don't mind something heavy (material, not weight), nor someting light (a good crime/mystery novel).  All suggestions accepted, no matter the subject.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 11:18:50 AM »
cas,

Buy "Close to Shore" for your beach read.  It's about the Matawan Creek attacks in 1916 and the ensuing panic up and down the Jersey shore.  More than just great shark history it puts the scare into historical context.  The start of public bathing for pleasure, why the shore was so busy (new rail lines and the polio epidemic) and the reactions by historical notables as they moved through the area.

Quite a lot on how the media was just as "if it bleeds it leads" back then as well.

That's my favorite kind of book, historical but with a great true story to hang the learnin' on.  "Devil in the White City" is another fantastic read.  About the Chicago World's Fair and one of the first recorded serial killers who was in Chicago at the time.  Budget overruns, political corruption, architectural feuds and a "house of horror".
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 11:31:07 AM »
Winning the Race by Professor John McWhorter.

A brilliant work, simply outstanding, a breath of fresh air in the discussion (obsession) of race.  Plus, it has a case study of Indianapolis (as an Indy native I found interesting) which blows the Left's favorite rationalization of the black underclass out of the water.Smiley
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 11:47:03 AM »
"The Sun Also Rises" By some Hemmingway guy...

LOL...I just had a typo above, It read "The Sub Also Rises"

(Good to know if you're on a sub crew. Tongue)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Iain

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 11:59:04 AM »
I go through phases with authors, right now it's Bruce Chatwin. If you long for the rustic hills of Hereford and the Welsh border country then I recommend 'On the Black Hill', and if you like your travel writing to be clever, full of historical perspective and feature Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid I recommend his book on Patagonia.

For lightweight but awesome I recommend an excellent book called 'The Snakebite Survivors Club'.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Preacherman

So, what are we reading?
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 12:05:31 PM »
I've just finished my annual re-reading of Martin Gilbert's "The Holocaust".  It's a truly horrifying book, describing the Nazi persecution and genocide in Europe from 1933-1945, and I hate reading it - but I saw the after-effects of the Aryan philosophy in South Africa for many years, and I know that we're not far away from another Holocaust if any hate-filled group has the opportunity to do unto those they hate.  As a result, this is one of the books I make myself read regularly, to remind myself how close we are to barbarity and self-destruction.  I highly recommend the book - but you won't enjoy it.

I typically read 4-6 books each week, but that's because of being bed- and house-bound for so long as a result of my injury back in February 2004.  Now that I'm getting back to work (at least part-time) I expect my reading to drop to 2-3 books a week.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

JAlexander

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 12:25:10 PM »
I'm re-reading Barry Hughart's book Eight Skilled Gentlemen, which I highly recommend to anyone who likes fantasy.  When I finish that I'll probably re-read Dorothy Sayers' Peter Wimsey mysteries.  I'm also working on C. L. Sonnichsen's I'll Die Before I'll Run.

James

grampster

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 12:31:31 PM »
CJ Box has a series of books set in a fictional composite town in the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming.  His main character is Joe Picket, a Wyoming Game Warden.

Mr. Box weaves a great mystery tale, with great characters and great descriptive narrative regarding this beautiful area of Wyoming.

I highly reccomend the series.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 01:04:27 PM »
For light summer reading, I recomends The Garret Files http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0739436090/sr=8-11/qid=1154123416/ref=pd_bbs_11/104-1783700-0666354?ie=UTF8  Hard working ex-Marine gumshoe in a world populated by predatory unicorns, down on their luck Deities and vegetarian dark elf assassins/nightclub owners/Ladies Man.

For heavier reading, Churchill's History of the English Speaking People http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/077102004X/sr=8-8/qid=1154123793/ref=pd_bbs_8/104-1783700-0666354?ie=UTF8 is great text to while away the hours with.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 01:14:19 PM »
Currently I am reading THe Dark Side of Camelot by Seymour Hersh.  Kennedy makes Clinton look like a junior leaguer.  More sex, scandal, murder, etc than you could shake a stick at.  After reading it no once could say things have gotten worse politically in this country.
Millionaire NExt Door if you havent read it yet.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

...has left the building.

So, what are we reading?
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 01:59:10 PM »
I'm currently reading The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy. It is the second book in the "L.A." series. I would highly recommend reading The Black Dahlia, which is the first book in the series. It is set in hardboiled 50's L.A. with two ex-boxer cops chasing down a murderer. If you're into fists, guns, girls, and generally being a hardass, check the book out:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0446674362/sr=8-1/qid=1154127204/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-5244781-9707028?ie=UTF8

TarpleyG

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 03:57:26 PM »
The rereleased, uncut version of The Stand.  Okay so far.  I'm into it about 300 pages.  Got about 800 to go.  Hope it picks up some.  Y'all said it was good and I took your word on it.

Greg

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 04:28:08 PM »
Recently finished Vernor Vinge's latest novel Rainbows End (not a misspelling).  Much more close to home than his last two novels.  Science fiction about roughly 20 years from now, and how old fart retreads (like us boomers will be by then) deal with a world on the edge of a sort of singularity.  The main character gets cured from years of Altzheimer's decline, finds one of his most personally valued skills gone (was a world famous poet, but things change when you rebuild a nervous system), and makes a deal with a devil to try to get it back.  

Currently rereading Kim Riddelbarger A Case For Amillenialism, (an alternative to  the Left Behind type pop eschatology), which is probably a bit specialized unless you're into that stuff.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 04:50:00 PM »
lee, have you read Revelation, Four Views?  I think Steve Gregg is the author's name.  Do you listen to the White Horse Inn?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 05:50:48 PM »
Picked up Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men earlier this week. Started reading, got to page 33 so far.  Reads like Faulkner. I see why.

Me, I kinda like Faulkner.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

TNGO

So, what are we reading?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 08:09:06 AM »
I've just started on To The Shores Of Tripoli by A.B.C. Whipple, about America's first conflict with Muslim terrorists (200+ years ago!). Very interesting so far; it makes my blood boil to think of how long this nation, and the world, have been afflicted by extremist Islam.  

Also reading The Last Of The Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper.

Stickjockey

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006, 11:38:50 AM »
The Federalist Yeah, the one by those three crazy Colonials.

Robert Ruark's The Old Man and the Boy

David McCullough's 1776

Robert Schleicher's Scenery for Model Railroads, Dioramas, and Miniatures
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

So, what are we reading?
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2006, 01:04:09 PM »
Glad to see so much literary heavy lifting.  I am enjoying the summer immensely in spite of all the political doom'n'gloom, and my reading reflects that- all fiction, all the time.  Lately I've been rereading the entire 'Stephanie Plum' series from Janet Evanovich just for the fun of it.  For those unfamiliar, Stephanie Plum is a Jersey girl with more than her share of spunk who is a sometime bounty hunter.  Evanovich brings improbability to a comedic art form.  Now there are an even dozen novels in the series, I still have to get a copy of the most recent.

And over the past couple of weeks-

Crais, Robert.  _The Two Minute Rule_.  Bank robber Max Holman emerges from prison hoping to pick up the pieces of his life- only to find the estranged mother of his son deceased, and his son-turned-cop recently murdered under strange circumstances along with three other officers.  A missing stash of cold cash totalling $16 million from a string of bank robberies seems to have been too much of a temptation for someone... .

Rhoades, J. D. _Good Day In Hell_.  An inexplicable string of ruthless killings sucks bail enforcement agent Jack Keller and his sheriff's deputy girlfriend into a maelstrom of domestic terrorism.  Set in southeastern North Carolina, the local detail makes the novel that much more enjoyable for me.  I also enjoyed Rhoades' first outing, titled_The Devil's Right Hand_.  The _WashPost_ called that one 'redneck noir,' showing how little they know- much of it was set in Robeson County, the county most heavily populated by Native Americans east of the Mississippi.  Or maybe the Post couldn't bring itself to say 'Indian noir.'

Patterson, James and Maxine Paetro.  _5th Horseman_.  Patients are dying in a large San Fancisco hospital- fom illnesses and injuries that should not be fatal.  And when their corpses are found, their eyes are being held closed by medallions struck with a caduceus.

Roberts, Nora.  _Blue Smoke_.  Catarina Hale had been fascinated by fire ever since her father's restaurant was burned when she was eleven years old, and fire continued to touch her life again and again as her career as an arson investigator progressed.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 02:11:33 PM »
I just read through John Ringo's series that starts with "A Hymn Before Dying."

Good s/f with a military bent.  Somewhat disconcerting, as JR & I either have really similar backgrounds or he did a lot of research into my areas of expertise.

As with so many s/f writers these days, when he gets burnt out (or whatever authors do), he co-authors/farms out books set in the same "universe."  As with most co-written material, quality takes a nose dive from "excellent" to "passable."

Synopsis:
Around 2010 or so, Earth is contacted by a consortium of space-faring races.  They need us to help take on this voracious race of aliens that is working its way through the galaxy.  These races need fighters, as they are pretty much useless in a pickle.  Oh, and BTW, Earth is expected to be invaded in a few years.

So, our sharper military-minded types take a crash-course in alien tech and propose new weapons, military materiel, and CONOPS to put it all to use.  Throw in some skullduggery, fatal cases of NIH (Not Invented Here), and ulterior motives.

Pretty good reads.  The first four, especially.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 02:57:33 PM »
lee, have you read Revelation, Four Views?  I think Steve Gregg is the author's name.  Do you listen to the White Horse Inn?
Not that book.   Next in the queue (because I'm seeing it referred to bunches of places) if I'm ambitious might be Anthony Hoekema's Bible and the Future.  

White Horse Inn, yes I do, via the magic of the Internet and mp3 players.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Car Knocker

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2006, 03:09:51 PM »
Not to be picky but it's "A Hymn Before Battle.  One of my favorite authors.  Just got through reading "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" again.
Don

DrAmazon

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2006, 04:30:10 PM »
I'm reading "The Diamond Age or A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer"  by Neal Stephenson.  Scifi/futuristic society with a lot of nanotech thrown in.  I'm enjoying it.

I'm also reading "How to Buy a House with Little or No Money Down"

Pretty soon I'd better start reading textbooks for fall semester or I'm going to be totally screwed after Labor Day.
Experiment with a chemist!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2006, 05:15:47 PM »
Just finished "A Canticle for Liebowitz" by Walter Miller and (recommended by APS members) "State of Fear" by Michael Chrichton.

Next book in the stack is my heavy reading for the month, "The Histories" by Herodotus.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2006, 12:31:24 AM »
If you're into fists, guns, girls, and generally being a hardass, check the book out:
Works for me. I'll check these out. Thanks.

What am I reading? See this thread:
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/viewtopic.php?pid=57489#p57489

Also watching Amazon for Matt Bracken's sequel to Enemies Foreign and Domestic to start shipping.

grislyatoms

• friends
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2006, 07:04:52 AM »
Right now I am reading "Bullet and Shell: The Civil War as the Soldier Saw It" by George F. Williams. Good read if you have any interest in the Civil war.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot