Author Topic: Illinois sucks. :(  (Read 7916 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Illinois sucks. :(
« on: May 18, 2009, 09:29:15 PM »
I've heard about how bad gun laws are here but I never really knew. When I stopped at the Bass Pro Shop at the local mall here I wanted to look at one of the XD45s. To even be granted permission to be allowed you have to either have something called a FOID card or a drivers license, my military ID won't work, and you have to be at least 21. I was like WTF!? I had just found out about this FOID card thing, basically it grants you permission to own a firearm. GAH! Guess I will have to do my buying back home. =(
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:09:40 PM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Illinois sucks!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:45:57 PM »
If you are not a resident you don't need the FOID card, a DL will do.  Military ID doesn't show which state you're a resident of.

Federal law says 21 to buy a handgun from an FFL.  So not surprising that they won't let you fondle a handgun if you're under 21.

Bass Pro in Gurnee.  Good store.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:00:45 PM »
Doesn't help when your DL is back home in Kansas. I'll have to have that mailed off to me. :( If memory serves me right I haven't had a problem seeing a handgun before being 21 elsewhere, by the way I'm older than 21, which the military ID shows. It does seem like a good store though.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:03:15 PM »
Not to thread jack, but why in the world would you leave your DL in another state?  In my entire time in the service, including basic, my DL rode in my wallet which was either on my person or during basic in my wall locker.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 10:03:22 PM »
Doesn't help when your DL is back home in Kansas.

Somebody had to say it; you're not in Kansas anymore. 

If stupid gun rules annoy you, you're in the wrong line of work.  =( 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 08:29:38 AM »

Illinois sucks!

That it do.  Welcome to Ill-i-noise, people's republic of.  Home of Hizzoner Dick Daley and Barack "Hi, this is my first job" 0bama.

Kansas

So, bein' in the military let's you buy a handgun anywhere as opposed to solely in your state of residence?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 10:22:42 AM »
That it do.  Welcome to Ill-i-noise, people's republic of.  Home of Hizzoner Dick Daley and Barack "Hi, this is my first job" 0bama.

So, bein' in the military let's you buy a handgun anywhere as opposed to solely in your state of residence?
I think if he has PCS orders he can buy there as well as his "home" state.

In any case you have to be 21.

In Illinois he would need to get a FOID card AND either an IL DL or ID card to buy in IL, unless he wants to ship it to an FFL somewhere, but he would still have to be 21 for a handgun in any case.

The ISP has been claiming that just handing a gun to someone is "transferring" it and that the guy holding it now "possesses" it. There are certain legal requirements that have to be met to be allowed to transfer or posses a firearm in IL.

I am somewhat surprised he would show you a handgun on an out of state DL. Most dealers won't around here.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 11:01:16 AM »
Yeah, Illinois does suck. So does NY, MA.... basically most of the East coast, really.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 11:09:54 AM »
Yeah, Illinois does suck. So does NY, MA.... basically most of the East coast, really.

Virginia doesn't suck.

Chris

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 11:12:40 AM »
Virginia doesn't suck.

Chris

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

And, if you head south from Virginia, I'm fairly certain those states don't suck either.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 11:42:09 AM »
Virginia doesn't suck.

Chris

I'm not an expert, but I have the distinct impression that Maine and New Hampshire "don't suck" and that Vermont is is sort of "Don't suck" ish (in regards to gun laws, generally)
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 12:39:49 PM »
East coast states.

Maine. Mild suck.
New Hampshire. Good.
Taxachusetts. Very very suck.
Rhode Island. Suck.
Connecticut. Suck.
New York. Very suck.
New Jersey. Very suck.
Delaware. Suck.
Maryland. Hard suck.
Virginia. Ok.

Below that is generally thought of as "the South" not "East coast." Even including the 4 states south of Virginia, "most" of the East coast still sucks. Just going on the VA and up (as is the common usage) and almost all of them suck.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 12:48:59 PM »
East coast states.

Maine. Mild suck.
New Hampshire. Good.
Rhode Island. Suck.
Connecticut. Suck.
New York. Very suck.
New Jersey. Very suck.
Delaware. Suck.
Maryland. Hard suck.
Virginia. Ok.

Below that is generally thought of as "the South" not "East coast." Even including the 4 states south of Virginia, "most" of the East coast still sucks. Just going on the VA and up (as is the common usage) and almost all of them suck.

I can't argue with that. However, I'd classify Virginia as good and New Hampshire as very good, but that's just semantics.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 01:08:12 PM »
I think if he has PCS orders he can buy there as well as his "home" state.

Yeah, you have to have to orders showing that Uncle Sam made you go there. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 07:06:09 PM »
Not to thread jack, but why in the world would you leave your DL in another state?  In my entire time in the service, including basic, my DL rode in my wallet which was either on my person or during basic in my wall locker.

Didn't think I was going to be doing much driving in boot camp so I left it home. Didn't think about needing it once I got out,  :laugh:

I figured it would suffice in proving that I am of legal age to at least hold the thing.

If stupid gun rules annoy you, you're in the wrong line of work.  sad 

I'm going to be an FC, which I hear get to work with the GMs sometimes. :)

I am somewhat surprised he would show you a handgun on an out of state DL. Most dealers won't around here.

It was inside a glass counter.

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Illinois sucks. :(
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 08:49:57 PM »
Does anybody know of any good weekend camping/hiking places in Illinois or one of the surrounding states?

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 09:10:30 PM »
Hawn state park is a great place for a short weekend hike in MO, might be a little far though, depending where you are in IL.  There are a lot of trails around Taum Sauk mountain too that are nice.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 03:13:57 AM »
Freakazoid, drop me a PM when you think you'll have time to be out and away: I'm only @ 3 hours north of you. And crash space can be arranged (long as you're not allergic to cats)...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 08:19:25 AM »
Does anybody know of any good weekend camping/hiking places in Illinois or one of the surrounding states?

Where you at?  Illinois will take you a good day to drive from one end to the other.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 01:14:38 PM »
East coast states.

Maine. Mild suck.
New Hampshire. Good.
Rhode Island. Suck.
Connecticut. Suck.
New York. Very suck.
New Jersey. Very suck.
Delaware. Suck.
Maryland. Hard suck.
Virginia. Ok.

Now you just wait one damn minute!

You forgot Vermont, which is very nice.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:28:25 PM by CNYCacher »
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 01:23:25 PM »

Where are you at in Illinios?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 03:47:56 PM »
... that's a pretty good trick considering IL is close to being the proverbial anal orifice of the USA...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 06:53:56 PM »
Where are you at in Illinios?

Great Lakes, at the Naval Base

Hawn state park is a great place for a short weekend hike in MO, might be a little far though, depending where you are in IL.  There are a lot of trails around Taum Sauk mountain too that are nice.

Yeah, probably a little to far out. But I might have to see if I can make it out there sometime.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 09:47:40 PM »

Kettle Moraine, Wi is supposed to be pretty nice hiking. http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/specific/kms/trails.html

The Ice Age Trail runs through there and eventually will be a through hike across the whole state.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 09:54:30 PM »
Now you just wait one damn minute!

You forgot Vermont, which is very nice.

Ah yes, I remember well those lovely summers on the Atlantic coast of Vermon........

Ohhhhhhhhhh.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."