Author Topic: You must not behave like this in a public place.  (Read 7938 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
You must not behave like this in a public place.
« on: May 22, 2009, 10:55:12 PM »
Law enforcement personnel of Nevsky district of St. Petersburg are searching for a man who opened fire on a hooligan who accosted him.
As it became known to the correspondent of <the news service>, a  young man of 21 was rushed to the Aleksandrovsky hospital from 72 Metallist avenue with a gunshot wound to the head. Law enforcement officials have managed to discover that the victim and his friends were accosting people on the street.
According to the preliminary information, a man of middle age, who was also accosted by the young men, drew an Osa traumatic pistol, put it to the head of one them and with the words "You must not behave like this in a public place. You are disturbing the citizens' rest." shot him. After this, according to the victim's friends, the shooter calmly walked away humming a tune.
The investigation of the facts is continuing and criminal charges are being considered.

http://www.gazeta.ru/news/lenta/2009/05/22/n_1364466.shtml

A couple of notes:
This is St. Petersburg, Russia.
The link is in Russian, translation is mine.
An "Osa traumatic pistol" is a four shot derringer that fires .60 caliber 179 grain steel cored rubber bullets. That's what the state allows for self defense over there.

I can't tell from the article whether this was self defense or not. "Accosted" in newspaperspeak can be many things. However, I do have to give the man massive props for the great line.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Stand_watie

• friend
Re: You must not behave like this in a public place.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 01:14:58 AM »
That sounds like a line that should be delivered by ...

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 02:30:40 AM »
.60 caliber steel core, rubber jacket bullets. SWEET. I want some.

What kind of velocity can I expect from them?

Seriously, I would carry something like that....with my own modifications of course =D

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 02:54:22 AM »
"Osa traumatic pistol".  I really like the sound of that.

from 72 Metallist avenue with a gunshot wound to the head.

Sounds like one Metallist who got a real headbanging.    :laugh:

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 04:57:09 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IvqwfNxmNs&NR=1
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Osa_(pistol)
very interesting, I want one for the ruffians in Cali  who don't need to be killed just shaken up a little.
this is some Russian guy volunteering for duty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaGDtXgN0Eo
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 07:02:15 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IvqwfNxmNs&NR=1
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Osa_(pistol)
very interesting, I want one for the ruffians in Cali  who don't need to be killed just shaken up a little.
this is some Russian guy volunteering for duty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaGDtXgN0Eo

Go back to 2:27 on that first video.  The guy is pointing at the sky (almost 40*) and gets a 10-ring hit?  No way!

Yes, I love the comment attributed to the older gentleman.  Just wonder what tune he was whistling as he strolled away.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 07:39:34 AM »
.60 caliber steel core, rubber jacket bullets. SWEET. I want some.

What kind of velocity can I expect from them?
About 394fps.

The thing is marketed as "non-lethal", but a headshot can kill if it hits right. The manufacturer specifies that it must be used COM.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 07:40:05 AM »
None of you really wants an OSA. They're extremely unreliable, it appears, and sometimes just have parts of the 'pistol' snap off.

They exist because pistols are illegal in Russia for citizens, and so the local industry produces this sort of alternative.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 08:04:06 AM »
Just wonder what tune he was whistling as he strolled away.

stay safe.

skidmark
Umm... Bohemian Rhapsody? The part at about 0:56  =D

Robert A Heinlein

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 09:43:26 AM »
...criminal charges are being considered.

Against the stupid punks one hopes...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 10:22:42 AM »
Umm... Bohemian Rhapsody? The part at about 0:56  =D

...but only because Another One Bites the Dust is harder to whistle.

richedkid

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 10:15:04 PM »
Yes apparently I agree with is they exist because pistols are illegal in Russia for citizens, then the local industries might produces this kind of sort of alternative... and behalf, when you're at that kind of public place you should behave like that...

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 10:33:05 PM »
They exist because pistols are illegal in Russia for citizens, and so the local industry produces this sort of alternative.
What I find really hilarious is that the establishment over there has a love affair with ballistics. The surplus rifles that are sold there are either rebarreled or have hardened pins protruding into the bore to produce markings different from the military guns. Chambers are dimpled to mark brass. All rifles are required to be test fired and bullet and brass samples are kept on file. Rifle reloading is illegal. And yet, this "dumpling maker" is pretty much ballistically untraceable. Osa has no barrels in the normal sense to avoid being a pistol legally. The barrel is the casing of the cartridge. So, rubber projectile+smooth bore+barrel discarded after every shot. Trace that!

Robert A Heinlein

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 10:38:29 PM »

I'll take a (sub)standard gun over nothing any day of the week.

Something like that is just begging to made more lethal.

When the government denies the right to own weapons that are effective from the start...well, folks find a way to improve them. And I would too.

.60 caliber with a metal core moving at just a bit under 400 FPS with some home improvement would suit me just fine.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 01:22:17 PM »
I'll take a (sub)standard gun over nothing any day of the week.

Something like that is just begging to made more lethal.

When the government denies the right to own weapons that are effective from the start...well, folks find a way to improve them. And I would too.

.60 caliber with a metal core moving at just a bit under 400 FPS with some home improvement would suit me just fine.
Just make sure you keep quiet about it. Reloading anything other than shotgun shells is illegal there.

Osa ammunition does not lend itself to reloading very well, the designers had this in mind. It's electrically primed and the primer burns out on firing. There might be some issues with removing and replacing the projectile, too.

Robert A Heinlein

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 02:17:24 PM »
Wait wait wait.

This happened on the Nevsky? WHAT? People are accosting passers-by on the Nevsky now? Am I misunderstanding something?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 04:20:35 PM »
From the coolness of the shooter's actions, sounds like ex-police or military.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 05:03:28 PM »
on a hooligan who accosted him.

Not sure what to make of the word "hooligan" but the word "accost" combined with "you must not behave like this in a public place" makes me wonder if the guy was propositioned.

A guess born of ignorance, I'm sure.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 09:02:55 PM »
Wait wait wait.

This happened on the Nevsky? WHAT? People are accosting passers-by on the Nevsky now? Am I misunderstanding something?
Yes, you are.  :laugh:  It was on Prospekt Metallistov (I have always loved that name) in Nevsky District. Not on Nevsky Prospekt.

Not sure what to make of the word "hooligan" but the word "accost" combined with "you must not behave like this in a public place" makes me wonder if the guy was propositioned.

Hooligan is what in US is euphemistically called "urban youth" minus the racial component. "Accost" is the most direct translation I could come up with for the word used in the article. It sounds a little weird in Russian, too.

I kinda  doubt he was propositioned, Russia is severely anti-homosexual. I think this was more along the lines of a guy being from the wrong part of town.

Robert A Heinlein

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 09:53:02 PM »
I kinda  doubt he was propositioned, Russia is severely anti-homosexual.

But wouldn't that explain why the purported homosexual got shot in the head?   :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 10:04:01 AM »
http://www.gazeta.ru/news/lenta/2009/05/22/n_1364466.shtml

A couple of notes:
This is St. Petersburg, Russia.
The link is in Russian, translation is mine.
An "Osa traumatic pistol" is a four shot derringer that fires .60 caliber 179 grain steel cored rubber bullets. That's what the state allows for self defense over there.

I can't tell from the article whether this was self defense or not. "Accosted" in newspaperspeak can be many things. However, I do have to give the man massive props for the great line.

I assume you're an English speaker as your native tongue (because you write in English as if you were)?

This line made me question the nuance of one particular word..."You are disturbing the citizens' rest"... I thought to myself that the Russian for "rest",  must be very close to "peace", "tranquility", "relaxation" or "a calm state of mind"...
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 10:13:50 AM »

I kind of got the idea of it being an aggressive panhandler, or a kooky street person (not that the two are mutually exclusive).
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

bmitchell

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 11:07:29 AM »
I wonder what caliber the rubber-coated steel balls that we took from about 100 old computer mice were.
Cheap ammo maybe.

Ben

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 11:11:57 AM »
 I kind of got the idea of it being an aggressive panhandler, or a kooky street person (not that the two are mutually exclusive). 
Considering how some pandhandlers behave, I can readily see how a cranial OSA shot would be appropriate. (I've found that pepper spray works, but perhaps that isn't available in Russia?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 11:40:20 AM »
His translation is a bit off. The original word is pristavat', which also means 'harass'.