Author Topic: 10 reasons to ban homeschooling. Call your Reps now!  (Read 7932 times)

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
10 reasons to ban homeschooling. Call your Reps now!
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2005, 12:12:14 AM »
socalgeek: I am only 22. I went to public school in some of the nicest neighborhoods in Minnesota, and there was plenty of all three. I would not say it caused a problem, but there was still lots of it.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2005, 08:50:53 AM »
Phantom Warrior wrote: "Socialization and growing up.  I think there is something to be said for sending kids to high school.  At some point you have to release them into the real world.  Better to give them a few years while they are still living at home than to send them off to the college drugs and alcohol and sex scene at the same time that they are adjusting to school with other kids AND living away from home."

Bingo!  There was a similar thread on THR not too long ago, and I argued a similar point.  http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=119524 (looks like you'll have to cut and paste to get it).

Anyway, while not homeschooled, I was quite sheltered as a kid growing up abroad and in a strict religious school.  I do believe that it would have been far too much of a shock to go from that environment to college without a bit of "field training."  My study habits and love of learning were sufficiently ingrained so that the silly academic standards in the public high school were not too damaging. Sure, high school was a joke from the work standpoint.  It was plenty challenging from the coping standpoint...
To the stars!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2005, 08:17:06 AM »
Quote from: TarpleyG
I learned things in the 6th grade that my public school peers didnt learn untill college if at all (like how to use citations in a research paper, believe it or not)
I had the distinct pleasure of being educated in the Plano Independent School District in Plano, TX during the '80s.  That school district was considered one of the top in the country and we were taught things like this early on as well.  I would equate my High School diploma with most 2 year college programs around the country.  I don't think that they still rank way up there though.  Not sure why.

Greg
Well, the "Robin Hood" law that sucks away 1/2 of Plano ISD's property taxes and the influx of the progeny of illegal aliens might have something to do with it...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton