Author Topic: There is something alive in my apartment  (Read 7906 times)

zahc

• friend
There is something alive in my apartment
« on: December 05, 2009, 05:52:45 AM »
Several days ago, I heard some something rustling in my lab when I was up late working in my darkroom and being real quiet. Figured it could just be something settling, but I told the wife we should get mouse traps. Mouse traps are cheap and great fun.

Tonight I was actually woken up from my corpse-like sleep by noises out near the kitchen. LOUD ones. Repetitive, scraping type noises...like a zombie shuffling across the living room carpet, with soup cans tied to his ankles. Or someone out in the kitchen laying tile or something. That loud. I swept the apartment w/1911 and isolated the noise to the bathroom; it stopped when I turned the light on. It came back in about ten minutes after I went back to bed. LOUD scraping. Probably in the walls. I know a quiet apartment can magnify the apparent loudness of sounds, but this sounded more squirrel- or possum-level scraping than rat scraping. Although I'm not prepared to rule out the possibility of a wall-confined zombie.

I opened the ceiling hatch in the bathroom and looked through the ductwork; didn't see anything. I suppose I could lay some poison up there, but then what happens when my noismaker dies in the wall? I could tell the apartment about it, but for all I know they'd come tear my wall out.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: There is something alive in my apartment
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 06:45:08 AM »
If it is really loud my guess is you have a rat, not a mouse. Mice IME tend to be much quieter then rats and LOUD sounds generally mean rats. If besides scraping it sounds like someone fighting an MMA title match in there, squirrels are a possibility as well.

You can head to the store and get standard rat traps and smear a little peanut butter on the trigger. Avoid glue traps and poison, neither are as good at doing what they do. Glue traps you now have a PO'd critter and poison they die wherever, double the stink if they got babies back there that will starve.

Something sinister in me makes me love this bad boy though- http://www.amazon.com/Victor-M240-Electronic-Rat-Trap/dp/B000LNX06C
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 07:50:39 AM »
Something sinister in me makes me love this bad boy though- http://www.amazon.com/Victor-M240-Electronic-Rat-Trap/dp/B000LNX06C

I like how Amazon asks, for every product no matter how inappropriate, whether you're ordering it as a Christmas gift.   :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 07:50:51 AM »
If your zombie is using the walls as a passageway, you'll want to lure it outside the wall before you decapacitate it - unless you truely adore the odoure of decomposing dead undead. The story surrounding this statement of true fact is somewhat akin to the myth about sardines in the curtainrods in that both ended up driving folks from their place of abode.*

stay safe.

skidmark

* Do not believe the evil manic-depressive future ex-wife when she tells you the walls are dry so the creature will just dessicate like a mummy and to for $diety's sake quit worrying.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 08:00:06 AM »

I like how Amazon asks, for every product no matter how inappropriate, whether you're ordering it as a Christmas gift.   :lol:
who knows, for some it might be a dandy Christmas gift  :laugh:
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 10:44:47 AM »
did i read the review right?  that thing will kill squirrels?  want!
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 11:19:16 AM »
I have used the small Victor trap for mice, it works like a champ. Put a little peanut butter in it and set it down. Check it the next morning and if you are lucky there will be a little bit of mouse tail sticking out of it. Take it out, open the lid and dump out the corpse.

bob

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 11:31:17 AM »
I imagine it would. Squirrels are just rats with fashion sense after all....and they taste better.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 12:07:31 PM »
i wonder if i smeared peanut butter on the electric fence..... >:D
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 04:39:12 PM »

You'll be surprised what insane stuff people buy for each other as "Christmas" gifts.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 06:13:15 PM »
Quote from: cassandra and sara's daddy on Today at 07:44:47 AM
I imagine it would. Squirrels are just rats with fashion sense after all....and they taste better.

You don't even have to cook it.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 09:47:45 PM »
i wonder if i smeared peanut butter on the electric fence..... >:D

Be sure to use your fingers.
7-11 was a part time job.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 02:37:37 AM »
. . . like a zombie shuffling across the living room carpet, with soup cans tied to his ankles. Or someone out in the kitchen laying tile or something.

If it's that noisy it's probably possums or raccoons.  I swear I've heard raccoons in our attic using socket wrenches and handsaws.
For entertainment purposes only.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 02:56:59 AM »
If it's that noisy it's probably possums or raccoons.  I swear I've heard raccoons in our attic using socket wrenches and handsaws.
Get them out NOW, before it's too late. :O

A constant irritant for me at my old apartment was a gap in the outside wall near the AC unit that a couple starlings decided was perfect for their nest.  :mad:  Hate starlings to this day, as they'd only make noise when I was trying to sleep.  A lot of it, too.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 03:00:14 AM by Dionysusigma »
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »
If regular traps and glue traps don't work, you can always try killing them with fire.

[popcorn]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 05:26:51 PM »
or just nuke the appartment. it is, after all, the only way to be sure!
 :angel:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 05:57:22 PM »
I had rats in an old townhome of mine.  The neighbor had a bunch of crap in his garage piled up which was where their home base was (found that out later, they went away after he cleaned it out).

I killed at least one with poison that I put in the attic.  I know it died by I could smell the dead smell in a couple spots in the house for a few days and about a dozen big flies appeared which I was able to spray.  I killed another in the garage.  Of all things, I stunned it with a broom.  The neighbor killed a couple more when he cleaned out his garage. 

Speaking of noises, the one that freaked me out was I thought I heard footsteps going across the room upstairs.  I grabbed my pistol and went up to check the room which I wasn't used and was full of some old furniture.  I found nothing and I realized there is no way anyone could have taken the path I heard across the middle of the room.  There was too much stuff in the way.  I realized later it must have been a rat running across between the floor and ceiling going from wood beam to sheet rock.  I heard the sheet rock impacts as footsteps. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 05:59:25 PM »
Also, I never could get the Victor traps to work.  I have heard that you can hang them from the ceiling so they dangle just above the floor.  This forces the rats to grab the trigger to get the peanut butter or food.  I've never tried that.  Someone else told me you need to set them up so the rat has to approach them from the right angle.  I don't know.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 06:33:04 PM »
You have to set them so they snap at the slightest touch. I even use a little pb as trigger lube.  :laugh:

Think hair trigger and try to achieve it with your trap. Takes a few tries and maybe a snapped finger or two but once you get it you'll have it down. I was told once to mush a piece of cracker in the PB and it will cause them to chew harder. Never tried it.

I recall one time on Broadway, NYC in the Payless Shoes store, reaching blindly behind an A/C unit and pulling out a huge set rat trap. I was very lucky that day cause I'm pretty sure that SOB would have broken a finger or two. :O

Now in the Phillipines they don't kill the rats because they eat the bugs.  :P

Avoid cliches like the plague!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 07:13:14 PM »
Now in the Phillipines they don't kill the rats because they eat the bugs.

Isn't that the truth.

I checked into a hotel in downtown Olongopo one night and there was a huge hissing cockroach squaring off to challenge me for the room. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a rat slinking along the wall and knew if I left it alone that cockroach would be gone by the time I came back from drinking and chasing LBFM's. It was. I don't know if the rat ate it or if he just left, but it was gone.

Also, my Victor mouse trap doesn't have a trigger, it just has batteries and two conductive plates that the critter steps on to get shocked. It must be the fancy one.

bob

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 08:54:17 PM »
Bob-

I think they are referring to the more traditional snap trap made by the same fine rat killin folks.

And I don't know about philipno rats, but my cats ensure any large buggy critters from outside make their way in doesn't bother me for long.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 09:22:49 PM »
I've been at war with rats for a few years now.  They live under my neighbor's deck (he won't do anything about it) and they scamper about my backyard, usually at night.

I use the tried and true Victor snap traps.  At first I tried smearing the peanut butter on top of the trigger.  It would catch an occasional rat, but most of them learned to lick it off carefully.  Then I started putting the peanut butter on the under side of the trigger, and that did the trick.  I catch ten of the little bastards each week on average.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 10:01:03 PM »
Tomcat bait-blocks tossed in every non-kid and non-pet accessible location that might look good to a rodent will do the trick.

I promise not to duck.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 11:57:53 PM »
Get them out NOW, before it's too late. :O

I hear ya.  I've caught and relocated 30+ in the past two years.  I hate them.
For entertainment purposes only.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 12:40:14 AM »
I wind cotton fluff onto the trigger then work the PB into that.  They are motivated to tug at it making it more likely to go off.

Of course, I not only oil my trap triggers, I polish the bearing surfaces.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."