Author Topic: There is something alive in my apartment  (Read 7905 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: There is something alive in my apartment
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2009, 05:58:53 AM »
Hmmm, never thought of polishing the trigger before.  :lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 06:12:33 AM »
The score so far this year:

Scout26 -4
Mice -0

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2009, 07:47:13 AM »
I lived in a hangar at a small airport for a while. We knew there were a couple mice but thought they were cute. Until the day I moved the big screen out and found it full of mouse droppings. The cuteness factor dropped like a stone, I picked up 5 snap traps that day. No sooner had I set the second trap when the first one went off. It was all I could do to keep 5 traps set for the next hour and a half. End count? 36 mice in 1.5 hours.  :cool:

I caught one that was no bigger than your thumbnail and I caught another one with a hair growing out of it's eye.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2009, 08:16:56 AM »
Of course, I not only oil my trap triggers, I polish the bearing surfaces.

i am taking notes
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2009, 12:46:53 PM »
I hear ya.  I've caught and relocated 30+ in the past two years.  I hate them.

I've relocated quite a few raccoons to He!! in the past few years myself. Skunks I just catch and release.

I lived in a hangar at a small airport for a while. We knew there were a couple mice but thought they were cute. Until the day I moved the big screen out and found it full of mouse droppings. The cuteness factor dropped like a stone, I picked up 5 snap traps that day. No sooner had I set the second trap when the first one went off. It was all I could do to keep 5 traps set for the next hour and a half. End count? 36 mice in 1.5 hours.  :cool:

I caught one that was no bigger than your thumbnail and I caught another one with a hair growing out of it's eye.

I live in a swamp and had a lot of field mice coming in out of the cold into my garage (until my semi feral, although friendly cat took up residence there in the winter) and had a few of them nest in the stowed tube of my Shop Vacâ„¢. They weren't able to get out once they got in there so, in the spring when I wanted to use the vac, the tube had a semi solid round mass stuck in the end which would best be described as a "dead rat cookie". The tube was sort of unusable for most of the summer (luckily, rat stink has a short half life when exposed to large quantities of chemical agents) as it smelled kinda funny...

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

280plus

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 01:55:59 PM »
One time here they built a nest in the engine air cleaner of my car. It just wasn't running right, you know? So I do a tune up and when I pull the cover the whole thing is packed with leaves and stuff. That smelled pretty funny too. I kept an open box of decon tucked in the engine compartment after that and it seemed to do the trick. I pulled like 15 out of the house last year right when it turned cold but haven't seen any since. The little buggers got into my MREs and had a pretty good time with that. I lost 2 or 3. They also chewed their way into a backpack pouch and got the nuts or whatever that were in there. That's when the latest WOM started.  :laugh:

Got a metal cabinet for the foodstuff now. Live and learn.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2009, 08:42:09 PM »
Deleted - Linkee no workee.
7-11 was a part time job.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2009, 01:42:42 PM »
We've confirmed some mice in a different room, chewing through the wall around the dryer vent. I'm convinced whatever's making the loud noises is something bigger than mice, though. I went to Home Depot and bought some mousetraps and rat-traps. The mousetraps are the new ones with the newfangled plastic cheese-shaped bait shoe. I'm skeptical; I wanted the original metal-shoe ones but that's all I could find. It actually looks like a somewhat better design because it forces the mouse to actually step on the shoe and not just stand there licking it. I got original victor rat traps too, to put in the bathroom ceiling. They had electronic pest eliminator things....since we can't get in the walls after the pests, maybe that would actually be a good solution, assuming they work. For $40, I think I'll wait.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zahc

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2009, 09:09:01 AM »
Rats! This morning both of my mousetraps were tripped, but there were no mice in them. Only a few strands of grey hair in one of them. I've changed my opinion of the new plastic-shoe victors...maybe the metal shoe was better because it forced the mouse to the center of the trap before snapping. Or else it wasn't mice at all but rats, and the trap simply failed to trap them.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

280plus

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2009, 12:22:20 PM »
Did they lick the bait tray clean? If so yer triggers ain't light enough yet.  [popcorn]

zahc

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2009, 02:29:20 PM »
No, the peanut butter was barely touched. Both traps ended up upside down. I think the new large-shoe traps let the things go off the instant a foot hits it, whereas the old ones were designed so that the critter had to be standing with its neck right at the optimal position when I was nibbling on the bait. I might tape them down too....newton's 3rd seems to suggest that the trap may slide backwards quickly when it goes off, if it's sitting on slick linoleum.
--Tallpine

280plus

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2009, 03:03:31 PM »
When you say "shoe" do you mean a large plastic yellow thingie with holes in it? Those are what I have and they work ok once you get the hang of setting them. Sounds like you do if they went off before they ate all the PB.

Could be a teeny weeny mouse, those can be tough to snag. It may take a few tries. I was totally amazed at that thumbnail sized one. I'm telling you, excluding its tail, its whole body was no bigger than my thumbnail. Somehow the trap snagged it. I remember thinking, "How small of a hole can THIS bugger fit through?"  :O

:laugh: