Author Topic: sustainability  (Read 7934 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Re: sustainability
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 06:33:47 PM »
Tongue is firmly in cheek, but I'm a three-striker, insofar as I work in a x-state x-medical/research x-university. Jargon and novel management theories are heavy on the ground...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 06:40:34 PM »
Geeziz, I'd go insane.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 07:01:31 PM »
"leverage" used as a verb is a personal favorite. "We need to leverage our sustainability to increase awareness".
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

grampster

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 07:58:40 PM »
"leverage" used as a verb is a personal favorite. "We need to leverage our sustainability to increase   enhance awareness".

Fixed it.  Now it's complete gibberish. =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 08:02:49 PM »
"We need to leverage our sustainability to enhance awareness of our core values and holistic mission focus." Take that, gramps.

The irony is that I can somewhat turn it to my advantage. My experience and vocabulary are such that I can phrase my approach as following or against the prevailing bureaucratic wind, and get people to do, or not do, something they might not otherwise consider. It is tedious, but can be fun on occasion.

My boss is doing cutting-edge medical research. He values me because I manage and deflect the byzantine minutiae that would otherwise distract him from his real job. Kinda cool.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 08:06:15 PM by SADShooter »
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 08:39:59 PM »
But what is the mission statement for this thread?....we'll never have unit cohesiveness without a mission statement....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 08:51:03 PM »
But what is the mission statement for this thread?....we'll never have unit cohesiveness without a mission statement....  =|
Quite right. But at least we have synergy.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 08:52:35 PM »
Wait, wait, wait.  You are jumping the gun.  Before we develop a mission statement, we need a vision statement.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 10:14:57 PM »
A synergistic, holistic, vision moving forward toward a paradigm mission that enhances our core values which binds a cutting edge to an encompassing sustainability.

Your witness.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 10:15:41 PM »
Does anyone actually have to deal with this gibberish?
sadly every concerned(cognizant?) voter, each election.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 05:34:05 PM »

Yes, anytime something is written here at work it needs to be wordsmithed to included all the latest greenie catch phrases.

If I can go a week with out hearing "wordsmith" spoken from anyone, it is a good week indeed.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2010, 05:40:26 PM »
One that drives me nuts is "incent." As in, "How do we incent our employees to collaborate and maximize the synergistic outcomes?" [barf]

I guess "incentivize" or "motivate" just aren't fresh enough.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2010, 05:52:11 PM »
One that drives me nuts is "incent." As in, "How do we incent our employees to collaborate and maximize the synergistic outcomes?" [barf]

I guess "incentivize" or "motivate" just aren't fresh enough.

Incent an employee huh?

Next time you feel like it, smack someone and claim you misheard.

Or get one of these:

I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2010, 05:28:06 AM »
We all got pulled into an emergency meeting (had to go to work early myself, I start at 14:00 normally on late shifts) to discuss changes to management. They managed to squeeze that old favourite 'Synergy' into the brief.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2010, 07:31:24 AM »
Back in my workin' days, enhance was a buzzword.  Whenever something was enhanced that meant we were going to have to do more with less for less.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2010, 09:57:51 AM »
Don't get me started.  We have to leverage and redeploy existing assets, building synergy among the stakeholders, as we invent our go-forward strategy.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2010, 10:08:50 AM »
I was a breakfast meeting this morning and I started chuckling when the speaker went into a spiel about sustainability. Folks looked at me like I was the devil.  >:D
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 07:46:06 PM »
Mrs Scout's entire job is attending meetings and creating jibberish filled presentations to keep the higher echelons busy so her worker bees can get the actual work done.  (When they are not complaining about how hard they have to work).  While some of what she does is HIPAA restricted I frequently chuckle, gaffaw and laugh out loud when she uses me to as a sounding board.

The sad part is that when she gives her presentations to those above her, using those words is like giving crack or meth to addict...... 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2010, 07:54:20 PM »
But what do the words mean?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2010, 07:59:01 PM »
Back when I was working (several jobs back infact) we all cringed when the VP of Operations would decide to implement the latest and greatest ideas from the then best selling "management" book he had just read.  He didn't think it was funny when at one meeting my counter-proposal was to burn his Barnes & Noble frequent buyer card....... =D =D =D   

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2010, 11:10:17 AM »
But what do the words mean?
Let me see if I can help on some of them....

Stakeholders:  Those whose ass is on the line if this idea fails.

Leadership: (a group, not a quality):  Those who will be rewarded if this idea works.

Paradigm: actually, ~ $.20.  More often used to mean "how we do things".

Leverage:  to mercilessly exploit something that's waaaay past its "sell-by" date.  For example, one can "leverage" your Dodge Aries to pull a 35' travel trailer.  Once.  For a little while

Incent (v.), often bastardized to be "Incentivize".  To threaten.

Proactive:  A most sought after trait, often leading to foolish behavior.  One may proactively have one's appendix removed, for example.  You know, just in case it might need it.

Align:  To beat, cane, and cudgel a group or organization into behavior that is self-evidently foolish or suicidal.

Re-invent:  See "Align".  Usually applied to a larger organization.

Agility:  Flexibility fostered by lack of clear goals.

Pivot:  The ability to react to the fact that agility has landed your career on the wrong side of the Live/Die divide.

Tipping point:  (rustic) The position at which beer begins to flow past the rim of its container. (Business) The moment in time it which Leadership realizes that the current paradigm requires re-alignment to allow the stakeholders to pivot, thereby freeing up resources to seek opportunities outside the current employment model.

Strategy:  That list of wishes upon which all members of Leadership can agree might not require them to be held accountable for the stakeholders success.

More later, when I've sobered up.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2010, 11:27:59 AM »
ABSOLUTELY!

Sorry, neither buzzword nor answer to any of the above questions, just my nominee for a usage that should allow an immediate violent response.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2010, 11:43:31 AM »
Thanks, Hutch! :D :D :D

I think I knew some of the people who would be using those words today. They were the ones who bumped into lockers in high school.